The Student Room Group

I'm pregnant, what should I do?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cherryred90s
You're all saying that, but the principle is the same. By your logic, you should be against contraception as you're preventing a potential life

THERE IS NO POTENTIAL. Conception has not taken place.
Original post by Pinkberry_y
Fertilised eggs (to our knowledge) do not have consciousness. They have DNA but there's no higher brain activity strongly suggesting there's no consciousness. At just a few weeks idly, the embryo doesn't have a heartbeat either or a higher order of thinking. Tell me then how that's murder.

At 8 weeks they do and I belive abortions are allowed for up to 18-24 weeks around the world. But that is a cycle of life, a process in which a human body is being formed and terminating this process is terminating human life.
Original post by Pinkberry_y
Hate to tell you this, but at this rate you're going to be arguing that masturbating is also interfering with nature and killing of potential lives.

According to their logic, it is. One of those millions of sperm 'could've been the next sir Paul mccartney'
Original post by TruthBeTold'
THERE IS NO POTENTIAL. Conception has not taken place.

In order for conception to occur, you need live sperm. By preventing the growth of that live sperm, you are preventing the growth of a potential life.

Had your father ejaculated in a condom as opposed to inside your mother, would you be here?
(edited 7 years ago)
Then what is the point of commenting if you have nothing of value to say to OP to help her situation?

Why don't you read my messages properly? I want to shame her, I want to signall that morality is still not dead in our society, not everyone is a selfish prick who only cares for his own happiness.
Original post by TrotskyiteRebel
Why don't you read my messages properly? I want to shame her, I want to signall that morality is still not dead in our society, not everyone is a selfish prick who only cares for his own happiness.

You want to further sadden someone who is already clearly upset. You sound like a lovely person.
In order for conception to occur, you need live sperm. By preventing the growth of that live sperm, you are preventing the growth of a potential life.

Had your father ejaculated in a condom as opposed to inside your mother, would you be here?

Very very very very silly. That's like saying what if the world ended 100 years ago I wouldn't be born. The possibility are endless with that horrific line of argument.

You can only prevent the life being made once conception has occurred. Which it has in OP's case and hasn't in the case of using a condom.
I think this poster is just trying to get a rise out of everyone. Their responses are becoming more and more maniacal.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But that is a practical impossibly and is just nature. If you don't masturbate, your body will eject sperm every couple of weeks and same thing with women's periods so you can't turn turn every egg and sperm into a baby. Besides, conception occurs with one sperm and one egg when like 100 million other sperms are just left behind so what about them? This is just some stupid argument. Life begins at conception, cells start multiplying and will eventually form life so you should not terminate that provess because it's the process of life.
You want to further sadden someone who is already clearly upset. You sound like a lovely person.

They sound like a walking advertisment for abortion. Ironic really.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TruthBeTold'
Very very very very silly. That's like saying what if the world ended 100 years ago I wouldn't be born. The possibility are endless with that horrific line of argument.

You can only prevent the life being made once conception has occurred.Which it has in OP's case and hasn't in the case of using a condom.

Well, If the world did end 100years ago, would you be here?

Conception doesn't have to occur to prevent life.. helloo morning after pill!
Original post by Anonymous
Did you say you were my age when this happened? Were you living with your parents during this time? Did your parents support you? Did you have to move out? Did you get a job? What qualifications did you have at the time? What qualifications were you planning to do? Were you set back in any way regarding time and education?

Also everyone saying I'm a murderer can suck my left toe :smile: Its an embryo sac or maybe even just a zygote, its barely 3mm long and its just a bunch of cells. You guys are thinking too much into the future.

I see this very early pregnancy as a bunch of raw ingredients atm, if I go through with this pregnancy then the ingredients will slowly mix and be put into an oven for it to bake and become a cake. However there are some ingredients that I am missing, the oven is broken and I don't have a bowl to mix it in. Therefore the likeness of my cake coming out successful are really low.

Sure I could go buy the ingredients and buy a new oven, but I feel that if I did that all my focus and energy would be on that (Having to move out, work how many jobs, drop out of my placement) because I want the perfect cake and I will forget about everything else that is important or put it on hold (Myself, my education, etc) which I don't want to do in the first place. So instead of me mixing the bowl (continuing with the pregnancy) and realising how f***** I am midway through, I might as well put the ingredients away and save it for when I do have all the ingredients and a working oven in the future.

Sure they wont be the exact same ingredients brands (DNA) but the point is making a perfect cake (baby) through processes (Upbringing and environment) not ingredient brands.

To me you are all saying "Please don't take the cake out of the oven, it could be a really nice cake", but to me I haven't even mixed the ingredients together.

Did you say you were my age when this happened?

I was 19 when I got pregnant, and 20 when I gave birth.

Were you living with your parents during this time?

I was living with my Dad at the time.

Did your parents support you?

My Dad very much so (he was my birthing partner), but when it comes to looking after the baby, I've never had (because I never asked) for any help -- I'm the mum, I decided to have him, so it's my responsibility.

Did you have to move out?

No I didn't. Even if he was angry at me at the time, was he really going to throw out his daughter and baby grandson? Very unlikely. And my son now being around his grandad all the time is wonderful -- many children only see their grandparents occasionally, and its lovely my baby has so much contact with other members of his family.

Did you get a job?

I did (well, I already had two but gave one up). But I also got Child Benefit (which everyone must claim), and Child Tax Credits. Babies are certainly not as expensive as people make them out to be -- if you want to get them an £10000 cot, of course they will be! It's about managing money like anything else.

What qualifications did you have at the time?

I was in the second year of degree. Came back from the summer 25 weeks pregnant, finished the first semester 37 weeks pregnant, had him over Christmas and came back when he was 4 weeks old. I took him to uni with me -- friends looked after him for 2 hours twice a week, and the rest of the time he's been by mummy's side!

What qualifications were you planning to do?

My plans haven't changed. An Msc and then a PGCE.

Were you set back in any way regarding time and education?

Not at all. At first I was doing my degree for me, and now I do it for my son -- what better motivation is there? It worked for me -- despite a bump in the road, I'm on course for a 68 at an RG university.

Remember, cake doesn't need to be made from the finest organic ingredients and cooked in a world class kitchen to be delicious. As long as you love cake, and will do anything you make the cake do well (including looking after yourself as the chef), that's all the cake needs. There is never a right time to have a baby - in five years, you may be working, or moving house etc -- but when they arrive...well, you'll have to feel it to know. It's magical :smile:

Good luck!
But that is a practical impossibly and is just nature. If you don't masturbate, your body will eject sperm every couple of weeks and same thing with women's periods so you can't turn turn every egg and sperm into a baby. Besides, conception occurs with one sperm and one egg when like 100 million other sperms are just left behind so what about them? This is just some stupid argument. Life begins at conception, cells start multiplying and will eventually form life so you should not terminate that provess because it's the process of life.

pls explain the bolded part. How does the male body eject sperm without masturabtion or some other sexual stimulation?
And what are you talking about in reference to women's periods?

The sperm left will die of course, that is a natural process that you are not in control of. Among those millions of sperm that die, you are in control of having one of them survive and grow, yet you stunt that growth by wearing a condom, this is not a natural process and is something that you are in control of.
pls explain the bolded part. How does the male body eject sperm without masturabtion or some other sexual stimulation?
And what are you talking about in reference to women's periods?

The sperm left will die of course, that is a natural process that you are not in control of. Among those millions of sperm that die, you are in control of having one of them survive and grow, yet you stunt that growth by wearing a condom, this is not a natural process and is something that you are in control of.

Yea if you don't masturbate your body will eject semen. It's called "wet dreams". But anyways I agree that we must draw a line that is somehow arbitrary as to in which point does life begin but I really don't think that line should be drawn as in when the baby leaves the womb. I believe life begins at the point of conception and that is line I believe. You can go even further than wearing condoms. I told you that is a practical impossibility and is very different from the point in which there is a human embyro with heartbeat, brain waves and organs at around 3 months. And I belive abortions are allowed here for the first 24 weeks.
I'm not saying we should go around and spread our DNA everywhere and have as many children as possible, I am saying we should respect the sanctity of human life as a moral principle and not destroy life under ANY conditions, from chemical warfare to abortion and ethunasia. Only when we respect the sanctity of human life can we feel responsibility for human lives not only in our country but all around the world.
Did you say you were my age when this happened?

I was 19 when I got pregnant, and 20 when I gave birth.

Were you living with your parents during this time?

I was living with my Dad at the time.

Did your parents support you?

My Dad very much so (he was my birthing partner), but when it comes to looking after the baby, I've never had (because I never asked) for any help -- I'm the mum, I decided to have him, so it's my responsibility.

Did you have to move out?

No I didn't. Even if he was angry at me at the time, was he really going to throw out his daughter and baby grandson? Very unlikely. And my son now being around his grandad all the time is wonderful -- many children only see their grandparents occasionally, and its lovely my baby has so much contact with other members of his family.

Did you get a job?

I did (well, I already had two but gave one up). But I also got Child Benefit (which everyone must claim), and Child Tax Credits. Babies are certainly not as expensive as people make them out to be -- if you want to get them an £10000 cot, of course they will be! It's about managing money like anything else.

What qualifications did you have at the time?

I was in the second year of degree. Came back from the summer 25 weeks pregnant, finished the first semester 37 weeks pregnant, had him over Christmas and came back when he was 4 weeks old. I took him to uni with me -- friends looked after him for 2 hours twice a week, and the rest of the time he's been by mummy's side!

What qualifications were you planning to do?

My plans haven't changed. An Msc and then a PGCE.

Were you set back in any way regarding time and education?

Not at all. At first I was doing my degree for me, and now I do it for my son -- what better motivation is there? It worked for me -- despite a bump in the road, I'm on course for a 68 at an RG university.

Remember, cake doesn't need to be made from the finest organic ingredients and cooked in a world class kitchen to be delicious. As long as you love cake, and will do anything you make the cake do well (including looking after yourself as the chef), that's all the cake needs. There is never a right time to have a baby - in five years, you may be working, or moving house etc -- but when they arrive...well, you'll have to feel it to know. It's magical :smile:

Good luck!

My parents would throw me out if they found out and I'd have to stay with a friend for a while before I moved out officially and that itself would require me to take a break from my current placement. And what I'm doing now, its a 5 days a week thing and I cannot simply just take my baby to work. IMO I would not be able to continue what I want to do without having a really long pause or resulting to just quitting and working a retail job. I want to be in a place where I can have a baby without it making me homeless, disowned from my family, financially unstable and having a disrupted education/career path. Once I get that bit sorted then yes having a baby would be a right time even if its not the "right time".

Also thank you for answering my questions :smile:
Also thank you everyone who is arguing on behalf of me against some of the silly people on this thread :smile:
Thankgod I'm not a female. Such a decision ****

All the best OP

Posted from TSR Mobile
My parents would throw me out if they found out and I'd have to stay with a friend for a while before I moved out officially and that itself would require me to take a break from my current placement. And what I'm doing now, its a 5 days a week thing and I cannot simply just take my baby to work. IMO I would not be able to continue what I want to do without having a really long pause or resulting to just quitting and working a retail job. I want to be in a place where I can have a baby without it making me homeless, disowned from my family, financially unstable and having a disrupted education/career path. Once I get that bit sorted then yes having a baby would be a right time even if its not the "right time".

Also thank you for answering my questions :smile:

what sort of parents would throw out/disown their child who is of legal age simply for getting pregnant?

I'm having a hard time believing this
Original post by ANM775
what sort of parents would throw out/disown their child who is of legal age simply for getting pregnant?

I'm having a hard time believing this

Plenty of parents would do this. Lots of parents throw their kids out for much less.
Yea if you don't masturbate your body will eject semen. It's called "wet dreams". But anyways I agree that we must draw a line that is somehow arbitrary as to in which point does life begin but I really don't think that line should be drawn as in when the baby leaves the womb. I believe life begins at the point of conception and that is line I believe. You can go even further than wearing condoms. I told you that is a practical impossibility and is very different from the point in which there is a human embyro with heartbeat, brain waves and organs at around 3 months. And I belive abortions are allowed here for the first 24 weeks.
I'm not saying we should go around and spread our DNA everywhere and have as many children as possible, I am saying we should respect the sanctity of human life as a moral principle and not destroy life under ANY conditions, from chemical warfare to abortion and ethunasia. Only when we respect the sanctity of human life can we feel responsibility for human lives not only in our country but all around the world.

Wet dreams don't occur because of lack of masturbation. They occur when you are dreaming about something sexually explicit in your sleep. It can happen to anyone, including a guy with a very active sex life.

Yes yes, you're pro life, congrats.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending