The Student Room Group

GAMSAT 2016 (2017 entry)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 660
Just a question: how is the gamsat score standardised if people had different gamsat papers ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ashxx
Just a question: how is the gamsat score standardised if people had different gamsat papers ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The scores generated are essentially reflective of your performance relative to the cohort on the day. So if everyone did quite poor yesterday, a score of 60 in the exam may only have been a score of 50 back in March (assuming people found that easier for example). Either way, the scores end up meeting at the same level, with an average of around 55-60. Thus your GAMSAT score is irrelevant in terms of how you actually handled the exam as it could be a reflection of any %. Some of the questions aren't even marked and we would have spent precious minutes on them! Instead, the percentile curves released post-score are more significant if you wanted to judge your performance. Generally, med school interviews (58-62ish) are found around the 70-75th percentile and above I think. Best to just sit back and relax, because none of us are figuring it out 😝

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Themightylaa
Same with S2 A, I used space exploration as my example for my thesis (comment 3) since I'd read a really interesting article the night before about the challenges of it 😄

I do feel a little screwed by Acer. However if most people had a similar experience, the adjusted scores may reflect that. Nobody really knows just how much they have to change raw scores to get GAMSAT scores. Des O'neil may guesstimate but that differs year on year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Space exploration - that's so cool! I bet there are loads of interesting essays for Task A - it was so vague that you could've gone in so many different directions.

I also feel screwed, but like you say if more or less everyone feels the same way then the scores are likely to be adjusted. If anyone checks out the pagingdr forums too you'll know that people sitting it in Aus also found it much harder than usual! Whew!

I keep reminding myself that I just need over 50 in S3 and I'll be alright, but for now, I'm going to complete my UCAS application and forget about it all.
Original post by neuromeg
Space exploration - that's so cool! I bet there are loads of interesting essays for Task A - it was so vague that you could've gone in so many different directions.

I also feel screwed, but like you say if more or less everyone feels the same way then the scores are likely to be adjusted. If anyone checks out the pagingdr forums too you'll know that people sitting it in Aus also found it much harder than usual! Whew!

I keep reminding myself that I just need over 50 in S3 and I'll be alright, but for now, I'm going to complete my UCAS application and forget about it all.

If I had say just about 50 in S3 then at least I've passed it but I'd have to hope my S1 and 2 were then high enough to pull me up towards 60+. That's unlikely so I really need 55+ in S3 and thinking back it felt so woeful I don't I even got that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just a quick thought - in S3 I saw a lot of people around me who had just stopped about 1hr-40 mins ish before the end; either they had super quick reading skills, or they gave up. I'm leaning somewhat towards the latter. Did anyone else notice this, or did anyone speak to anyone post-exam who just gave up?
I noticed that where I as well. So many people staring around the room too. Think it took all of us by surprise. All that work on light bulb brightness, genetics and acid-base. Every time the page turned I was like 'not more random organic stuff!!'

Posted from TSR Mobile
Some people just blind guess all of S3, using a certain letter for all answers in some sort of desperation that it will get them at least 50 in that section - which is highly doubtful.

It sounds like the majority of questions required little-no existing knowledge and instead focused on providing the knowledge in the data/text. The exam in 2015 did feel like it was going this way a bit more than the 2014 exam but only slightly. Maybe ACER feel this is fairer on non-science applicants who have minimal prior knowledge, although I am not too sure.

Sounds like a lot of organic chemistry which I would have enjoyed! I HATED that stuff when I began my GAMSAT revision, but now I love it. Please can someone link/include the percentile curve when results are released in what will feel like an eternity haha.
Didn't even take 10 seconds to look around the room at others so I have no idea if people stopped early. S1 I literally marked my answer to Q75 as he said 'put your pencils down' so my timing could not have worked out any more accurate. For S3 I finished with about 5 minutes to spare. I answered every question in all sections though for a small number I made educated guesses where I simply couldn't deduce what I was looking for. When I counted through very quickly in the final few minutes I think I had about 60/110 that I felt I had right with relative confidence, so if I got extra on top of that with some guesswork/luck in hoping my S3 will scrape above 55. I was hoping for more like 80/110 that I had right but it didn't work out that way...

Also just remembered, practically nothing on log rules either. Gold Standard was useless this year. Everything they said comes up time and time again didn't at all. Argh, can't stop going on about it 😩

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by puddleduck
If you've read that that's a valid technique, then go for it, I suppose! But check that there are people out there who used that technique and didn't get penalised for it.... I always thought the 'point' of S2 was persuasive writing/ writing arguments and critical thinking. I got 70,72,79 (overall 75) when I sat Ireland 2016, and 67,70,51 (overall 60) when I sat last September.

Wow, those are great scores, especially the 75!! Well done! And thanks for the advice but too late now - I sat the London exam yesterday hahaha. I used an argumentative approach for both I would say. Didn't want to risk anything 😬

I found SI nice, a few confusing questions but nice on the whole and finished with 15 mins to spare meaning I was able to use the toilet 😅 SII was nice also. I talked about CRISPR-cas9 system for potentionally giving rise to "designer babies" in essay A and went down the optimistic route also for essay B and finished in time.

SIII was weird! A LOT of organic chemistry and as someone mentioned earlier, doing the biology questions first really messed up my timing. I ended up guessing about 15 questions I want to say. Skipped over the physics and just did what I could. I agree that it was very different from the practice material available. And yes, Gold Standard was practically useless 😓

I'm hoping a good score in sections I and II bring up my average
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by bajolaluna
Wow, those are great scores, especially the 75!! Well done! And thanks for the advice but too late now - I sat the London exam yesterday hahaha. I used an argumentative approach for both I would say. Didn't want to risk anything 😬

I found SI nice, a few confusing questions but nice on the whole and finished with 15 mins to spare meaning I was able to use the toilet 😅 SII was nice also. I talked about CRISPR-cas9 system for potentionally giving rise to "designer babies" in essay A and went down the optimistic route also for essay B and finished in time.

SIII was weird! A LOT of organic chemistry and as someone mentioned earlier, doing the biology questions first really messed up my timing. 8 ended up guessing about 15 questions I want to say. Skipped over the physics and just did what I could. I agree that it was very different from the practice material available. And yes, Gold Standard was practically useless 😓

I'm hoping a good score in sections I and II bring up my average

Oops! Sorry! Hope you're resting up! After last September I was so run down that I had a constant cold for the next 2 months :O So..... relax! You deserve it :smile:
Original post by puddleduck
Oops! Sorry! Hope you're resting up! After last September I was so run down that I had a constant cold for the next 2 months :O So..... relax! You deserve it :smile:

Oh no :frown: I couldn't stop coughing the night before. I was a massive stress ball and I only got 3 and a half hours sleep (eek) but hopefully it wil all be ok! And thank you ☺️ xx
Reply 671
Original post by Themightylaa
Didn't even take 10 seconds to look around the room at others so I have no idea if people stopped early. S1 I literally marked my answer to Q75 as he said 'put your pencils down' so my timing could not have worked out any more accurate. For S3 I finished with about 5 minutes to spare. I answered every question in all sections though for a small number I made educated guesses where I simply couldn't deduce what I was looking for. When I counted through very quickly in the final few minutes I think I had about 60/110 that I felt I had right with relative confidence, so if I got extra on top of that with some guesswork/luck in hoping my S3 will scrape above 55. I was hoping for more like 80/110 that I had right but it didn't work out that way...

Also just remembered, practically nothing on log rules either. Gold Standard was useless this year. Everything they said comes up time and time again didn't at all. Argh, can't stop going on about it 😩

Posted from TSR Mobile

I actually find gold standard extremely helpful. A lot of questions in S3 are in similar style in the questions in gold standard and practice test. When I was doing the test, I was literally thinking "this can't be gamsat questions. They are too easy"

Especially because of my poor English, I didn't read most of the text, I went straight to the questions/diagram/graphs. The girl next to me was smiling at me after the reading time, I guess she thought the exam was pretty easy as well.

For SII A, I talked about the unemployment crisis bought by artificial intelligence, and we could use the exp in industrialization in the past to turn challenge into opportunity, and of course i talked about morality vs genetic engineering, which we use our intrinsic moral value to help us judge the situation, which is the same for all new technology that we invented in the past. Not sure if they are valid examples tbh...........

SII B I'm not sure if Im the only one to propose not to follow your dream.... I used a story of a poor singing performance in the British Got Talents to start my essay, and I discuss dream vs talent, before following our dream we have to think about if we have the talent first. It's quite a negative essay I suppose....... So again not sure if it will fit the examiners' appetite......

And SI....... **** it..........

Anyway, you guys have any suggestions on how to improve my English? I think it is quite likely that I will have to resit the Gamsat in Mar (another year...... I'm 30 already.......) I just want 50 in SI, never been good in my English since I was young....

But this is something that I must pursuit, I never study any science in my life, since when I was in middle school, my school thought that I was too stupid to study science (in HK, you don't always got to choose what you want to study in high school/middle school), I was forced into studying art subjects, And ever since half a year ago when I started looking at SIII questions, it was like a foreign language to me. But then when I investigate more into the science subject, I really enjoy doing the SIII paper (no joking, most ppl find it difficult to do 110 questions in 170 mins, for me it's like playing a game, I really like it very much) I must do it again, and if I can only enter the med school at the age of 31, so be it.
Original post by ddll87
I actually find gold standard extremely helpful. A lot of questions in S3 are in similar style in the questions in gold standard and practice test. When I was doing the test, I was literally thinking "this can't be gamsat questions. They are too easy"

Especially because of my poor English, I didn't read most of the text, I went straight to the questions/diagram/graphs. The girl next to me was smiling at me after the reading time, I guess she thought the exam was pretty easy as well.

For SII A, I talked about the unemployment crisis bought by artificial intelligence, and we could use the exp in industrialization in the past to turn challenge into opportunity, and of course i talked about morality vs genetic engineering, which we use our intrinsic moral value to help us judge the situation, which is the same for all new technology that we invented in the past. Not sure if they are valid examples tbh...........

SII B I'm not sure if Im the only one to propose not to follow your dream.... I used a story of a poor singing performance in the British Got Talents to start my essay, and I discuss dream vs talent, before following our dream we have to think about if we have the talent first. It's quite a negative essay I suppose....... So again not sure if it will fit the examiners' appetite......

Anyway, you guys have any suggestions on how to improve my English? I think it is quite likely that I will have to resit the Gamsat in Mar (another year...... I'm 30 already.......) I just want 50 in SI, never been good in my English since I was young....

But this is something that I must pursuit, I never study any science in my life, since when I was in middle school, my school thought that I was too stupid to study science (in HK, you don't always got to choose what you want to study in high school/middle school), I was forced into studying art subjects, And ever since half a year ago when I started looking at SIII questions, it was like a foreign language to me. But then when I investigate more into the science subject, I really enjoy doing the SIII paper (no joking, most ppl find it difficult to do 110 questions in 170 mins, for me it's like playing a game, I really like it very much) I must do it again, and if I can only enter the med school at the age of 31, so be it.

I'm not much younger than yourself (just turned 28) but I feel the same way, I'll continue to pursue this until I get in, and if that means sitting the GAMSAT and UKCAT every year so be it!

Have you tried a personal tutor for English? They seem effective and are pretty fairly priced due to competition (a lot of them around!) at least up here in the North West.
Original post by ddll87

Clearly you are just a whiz at the science then since you find it all so incredibly easy! Must admit I'm jealous haha, I did a biomed degree but we did literally no chemistry it was all biology and medicine related, like pathophysiology. Considering the exam had basically no actual biology (just graphs) it kinda sucked.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ddll87

Aha, you must have a very calm head if you thought they were easy!
Good for you :smile: (fingers crossed you don't bring the average up TOO much :P )

What is it that you're actually struggling with English-wise? Your written English seems good. I wouldn't worry about S2 task B being negative - they might get bored of reading all the nice optimistic essays! It might be a good idea to get a tutor as the questions in the gamsat are more inferred meaning, rather than anything that is blatently obvious.
However, maybe wait to find out your score before you decided that you need a tutor.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 675
This may be well known, but just found out myself:

"It is worth remembering that 10 of the questions on your paper will not be marked and are trailed on each year. This means that your actual mark will be calculated from the 100 scored questions on the paper. The reason ACER do this is to allow new question sets to be calibrated in terms of difficulty. It does of course mean that they may appear again in later years"

Don't know if it makes a big difference, but I would bet the question with all the conditions towards the middle-end was a trial one. Just because they havnt really presented a question quite like that one before, although really it could have been any of them.

Anyone know if there is a trial question on section 1 too? Just curios :-)
Hey Guys

I was just wondering how does ACRE know to send the result? Do they send the results directly to us and do we then send it to universities we applied to or do they send it directly to the universities, If so how do they know which university we applied to.
Original post by phili268
Hey Guys

I was just wondering how does ACRE know to send the result? Do they send the results directly to us and do we then send it to universities we applied to or do they send it directly to the universities, If so how do they know which university we applied to.

If anyone know how we can received our GAMSAT EXAM RESULTS .
Original post by KAmalraj10
If anyone know how we can received our GAMSAT EXAM RESULTS .
Roughly 2 months from the exam date... So around mid to late November.

Original post by phili268
Hey Guys

They will email everyone when the results are released and you will have to log into your gamsat account (the one you created when you registered for the exam). The scores are sent to the universities around 2 weeks before they are publicly released for you guys.

Yeah, the universities will be able to acquire your scores directly from UCAS/Acer automatically nothing on your part is required now, aside from sending off your UCAS application.
(edited 7 years ago)
I was pretty annoyed about S3 too - so many things that I revised didn't come up - there didn't seem to be many (any?) quick couple of marks questions. My tactic of going through all the bio first shot me in the foot cos I spent too long really making sure I understood what they were asking, and ended up only getting through about half of them chemistry questions. I think I guessed around 30 questions :bawling:

S1 was fine for me, there were a couple of tricky questions but nothing too bad. S2 I actually enjoyed cos I thought Task A was perfect - had read something interesting in the morning and got lots of it in! Task B was a bit odd but I went down the optimistic route too :smile:

It's over now at least!

I just went through all the bio and chem questions at a leisurely speed because I didn't want to miss anuthing and found i had enough time for physics. But by the end of the exam, I was so sick of all the chemistry.

Just a quick thought - in S3 I saw a lot of people around me who had just stopped about 1hr-40 mins ish before the end; either they had super quick reading skills, or they gave up. I'm leaning somewhat towards the latter. Did anyone else notice this, or did anyone speak to anyone post-exam who just gave up?

I looked up everytime I saw another organic chem question and wanted to stab myself with my pencil. But I continued working until the last second. I didn't notice anyone on my side give up but I did see a girl sitting with her hands over her face lol.

Original post by Marathi
Some people just blind guess all of S3, using a certain letter for all answers in some sort of desperation that it will get them at least 50 in that section - which is highly doubtful.

It sounds like the majority of questions required little-no existing knowledge and instead focused on providing the knowledge in the data/text. The exam in 2015 did feel like it was going this way a bit more than the 2014 exam but only slightly. Maybe ACER feel this is fairer on non-science applicants who have minimal prior knowledge, although I am not too sure.

Sounds like a lot of organic chemistry which I would have enjoyed! I HATED that stuff when I began my GAMSAT revision, but now I love it. Please can someone link/include the percentile curve when results are released in what will feel like an eternity haha.

I got 50 in March and for about half the qestions, which couldn't do, I just guessed B or C in alternation. I hadnt prepared a lot for physical chem andphysics which I hadnt prepped for.

Does anyone else find Gold Standard pretty rubbish? I wish there was more stuff out there. I had to use university level textbooks for chemistry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending