The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

I'm not looking at getting a really high score, I'd be happy with 620+ to be honest but I have done 2 mocks on medify and averaged 597 for mock A and 600 for mock B.

Any tips on just boosting it a little more to get me over the 620 mark?
Original post by Anon2305
Hey
I did mine last week and got
VR 680
QR 850
AR 890
Average 807
Band 1

This will be alright to apply to Newcastle and Edinburgh right? Because Newcastle I believe base interview spots on the UKCAT

wow well done! any tips for the sections? What technique did you do for AR?
Original post by deathbeforeimmortality
I did the UKCAT last year and took two months to prepare, I was burned out by the time I got to the exam. IT was also at 8.30am.

This year I've taken it really easy with minimal resources (Medify, UKCAT Ninja, 1000Q book and the Kaplan book from last year). I'm much more confident this time and I believe I'm improving. My test is in 12 days so I'm doing a few hours a night now, starting my mocks tomorrow.
it's great you feel more confident this time round! Can I ask how long you've been revising for now? My test is in 2 weeks and I haven't started any prep yet and kinda freaking out 😬*
how do we enter ukcat on ucas?
Original post by 123chem
how do we enter ukcat on ucas?

I believe that it is automatically sent to your chosen Uni's.
Original post by marcg
Congratulations... that's the highest I have seen yet. I'm on a 756 average with SJ band 2, and have got great feedback that it is very strong. You should be fine with both Edinburgh and Newcastle (UKCAT heavily weighted from my understanding)

thanks! well done on your score :smile:
and thanks yeah they are heavily weighted so hopefully this ukcat score should help my application :smile: hope yours is successful
[QUOTE=123chem;67579352]how do we enter ukcat on ucas?

You won't need to. UKCAT will email you late september asking for your UCAS code. They will lforward your scores to your chosen universities (only to the ones that require it obviously)
Reply 4647
Does anyone know how St. Andrews use UKCAT scores?
I got 690 average, band 2 and I believe it is a bit risky to apply for quite a lot of unis...
And I'm an international applicant so it make the situation even worse...
What did everyone do during the decision making section?
Original post by Zain.Y
What did everyone do during the decision making section?

Had a little nap because my test was at 8 am and I was sleepy
Original post by Gap yaaah
Had a little nap because my test was at 8 am and I was sleepy

Omg me too!!! 😂😂😂😂
My test in tomorrow afternoon and I was wondering if I should do a bit of prep in the morning or not?
I did the test last year so don't feel as nervous and more prepared this time

So the average so far has been 644... There were people who thought TSR is actually an accurate representation of people's scores lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ASTK98
So the average so far has been 644... There were people who thought TSR is actually an accurate representation of people's scores lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Shiiiiiiet but they have increased a bit :/
I hope the average falls now since people usually do better the earlier they do it.
I remember last year I did it 15 days later and got 45.83 lower, however correlation does not always mean causation and therefore other factors may be involved.
Original post by WhoDaresWins
I hope the average falls now since people usually do better the earlier they do it.
I remember last year I did it 15 days later and got 45.83 lower, however correlation does not always mean causation and therefore other factors may be involved.

This aint a Bio exam haha
BTW the trend is those confident get it out of the way asap prior to interim and those less confident do post interim so changes should occur to the '644 av'
Original post by Sniperdon227
This aint a Bio exam haha
BTW the trend is those confident get it out of the way asap prior to interim and those less confident do post interim so changes should occur to the '644 av'

Hhahaha :laugh::laugh:
Original post by stardust-dream
In terms of VR, it's true that the real test has slightly longer texts than those given in kaplan. But the same principle still applies- skim read and pick out key words from the question! I don't think the questions were any harder than those in kaplan mocks, and I had about 3 sets of T/F/CT questions.

Have you got access to Kaplan practice tests 1 to 6? Because I've found that the QR sections for these tests are very representative of the real exam- that is to say, QR is MUCH easier than the practice mock tests on UKCAT website. Much less data to sort through, which is always nice :biggrin: Kaplan practice tests 7-9 I found harder than 1-6 for QR (and the other sections too tbf), but that might also be because those were the ones I did first (don't ask me why lol).

For AR, I found that I had more type 4 sets than are usual in kaplan mocks, though that might just be an unfortunate coincidence. I also had more complex type 1 questions (you know, ones with conditional patterns), whilst in kaplan mocks they tended to be more of the easier, single patterns. But its not too bad, I think I was just a bit unlucky :tongue:

SJT was surprised by- I got band 1, even though in ALL my practice tests I've never gotten above band 2! The questions were similar to the kaplan mocks, so as long as you go through all the questions you got wrong in the mocks the SJT in the exam will be easy :biggrin:

Hope that helps!

Are the Kaplan practise tests free or do I have to pay (really can't afford anything like this rn. Specially since there's only a couple of days left till my exam)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending