The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Quido
The minimum of the LHS would be 4 and the maximum of the RHS would be 4 as well?

Exactly, so the only time the two sides will be equal (all other times, the LHS will be too big and the RHS will be too small, so never equal - hence no solutions) is when both are equal to 4.

Now does an xx exist such that both sinx=0\sin x = 0 and cosx=1\cos x = -1? If so, how many? If not, well then there are 0 solutions.
Reply 61
Original post by Zacken
Exactly, so the only time the two sides will be equal (all other times, the LHS will be too big and the RHS will be too small, so never equal - hence no solutions) is when both are equal to 4.

Now does an xx exist such that both sinx=0\sin x = 0 and cosx=1\cos x = -1? If so, how many? If not, well then there are 0 solutions.

Ah right, they both exist at 180 degrees or Pi so it would be one solution.
Thank you very much :biggrin:
Reply 62
Original post by Quido
Ah right, they both exist at 180 degrees or Pi so it would be one solution.
Thank you very much :biggrin:

Yep.

No problem.
Anyone got the solutions to the 2005 paper? Can't find 'em anywhere. Grrr
Hey guys if anyone is interested in having group skype sessions to practice for MAT be sure to message me! I'm a US applicant btw and I'm trying to practice so I can try to get a 90-100 on the exam. Here are my test scores to show some sense of credibility. Please message me!

ACT - 36
Math2 - 800
Bio - 790
Chem - 770
AP CalcAB - 5
AP Com. Sci - 5
AMC 12A (Feb. 2016)- 117
Reply 65
Original post by AmanGottu
Hey guys if anyone is interested in having group skype sessions to practice for MAT be sure to message me! I'm a US applicant btw and I'm trying to practice so I can try to get a 90-100 on the exam. Here are my test scores to show some sense of credibility. Please message me!

ACT - 36
Math2 - 800
Bio - 790
Chem - 770
AP CalcAB - 5
AP Com. Sci - 5
AMC 12A (Feb. 2016)- 117

:eek:

Where are you applying in the UK and for which courses, out of curiosity?
Original post by Euclidean
:eek:

Where are you applying in the UK and for which courses, out of curiosity?

I'm applying to Oxford for Computer Science.
Hi, I am going to be applying for Maths at Oxford but I was going to be applying to Cambridge. I therefore have not looked at the MAT yet and would appreciate any help at all. Please message me, I have skype and would love to group sessions. How much practise do I need to be doing between now and November?
Original post by Unusualbob1
Hi, I am going to be applying for Maths at Oxford but I was going to be applying to Cambridge. I therefore have not looked at the MAT yet and would appreciate any help at all. Please message me, I have skype and would love to group sessions. How much practise do I need to be doing between now and November?

It definitely depends on how much you know right now. There's around 2 months until the exam so there's definitely some time to prepare. Message me your skype so we can figure something out!
Reply 69
I just looked at Imperial for the MAT and it turns out you don't need to sit it for Computer Science. Is there any reason for this? They use it for everything else except for comp sci :frown:
I feel even though the exam is in November, there still isn't enough time to prepare.
What trig facts do we need to learn.

E.g sin30= 1/2
sin60=(root3)/2
Original post by KloppOClock

E.g sin30= 1/2
sin60=(root3)/2

hmm you probably need cos2x+sin2x=1 \displaystyle \cos^2x + \sin^2x= 1,the three cos2x \displaystyle \cos2x ones, sin2x=2sinxcosx \displaystyle \sin2x = 2 \sin x \cos x .

Id say learn the values of sinx, cosx and tanx for x = 0, 30, 45, 60 ,90 ( degrees).

also tanx=sinxcosx \displaystyle \tan x = \frac{\sin x}{\cos x}

also as you probably know you dont get a formula book, so make sure you know the sine rule and the cosine rule

theres probably more but thats all I can think of rn :smile:
Original post by KloppOClock

E.g sin30= 1/2
sin60=(root3)/2

In terms of the syllabus, you'll need to be comfortable with using radians, tanx = sinx/cosx, sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) =1, and that sin (pi/2 - x) = cosx. You'll also need to know the exact values of sin, cos and tan for 0,30,45,60 and 90 degrees (it's not that bad to learn then by rote - remember one line for sin, then "reverse" it for cos, and applying tanx = sinx/cosx for tanx.

Also, something that comes up a *lot* - remember how to work with the maximum and minimum of sine and cosine functions. And squaring something makes it positive!

Also, note that if you've got something like sin(sqrt(x)), sqrt(x) increases slower than x, so the waves will get further and further apart. Similarly, in sin(x^2), the waves will get closer and closer together. You'll probably see a few examples in multiple choice questions.
What's everyone scoring on the 2008 paper? I just got 67 but it's 2 years before the score data, as it's still a relatively recent paper I hope 65-75 is still a very competitive score?
Original post by Mitchb777dotcom
What's everyone scoring on the 2008 paper? I just got 67 but it's 2 years before the score data, as it's still a relatively recent paper I hope 65-75 is still a very competitive score?

super roughly from 2010-2015 the average was 50, average shortlisted was 60 and average successful was 70 (obviously lower on the harder years) so i cant imagine 2007-2009 being much different.

Id say 67 at this stage is super good, getting 70 will put you in a very good spot probably
Original post by DylanJ42
super roughly from 2010-2015 the average was 50, average shortlisted was 60 and average successful was 70 (obviously lower on the harder years) so i cant imagine 2007-2009 being much different.

Id say 67 at this stage is super good, getting 70 will put you in a very good spot probably

Thanks, even though i'm not applying to oxford (Cambridge lyfe :smile:) I'm gunna apply to imperial or Durham so I can do the exam just to see where I am at the moment. Although if I do really well in the MAT and get rejected I'll be well gutted.

Best of luck to you
Reply 77
Original post by Mitchb777dotcom

I got 81 in that paper (doing the comp sci questions not that normal maths ones, don't know how they compare) and found it quite easy compared to the 2010. I would still imagine the scores for those papers to be roughly the same as 2010-2015 though.
Original post by Quido
I got 81 in that paper (doing the comp sci questions not that normal maths ones, don't know how they compare) and found it quite easy compared to the 2010. I would still imagine the scores for those papers to be roughly the same as 2010-2015 though.

It terms of difficulty, I think it would be about the same, but I can't say for sure because that's obviously subjective.
Original post by Quido

lmao i got 45

Latest

Trending

Trending