The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BusMan21
Hi team

Just thought I would introduce myself to this thread as I have been stalking it over the last couple of weeks. I am probably going into Uni from a slightly different perspective as I have spent a couple years working in finance after finishing college to get some experience, but now I am joining everyone in their first year in applying for Spring Weeks.

I have to say, I am absolutely scared of the numerical tests, I have a couple of applications that I am ready to submit but I am just scared of submitting them as I expect a numerical test request near enough instantly. So I thought I would try and get some practice in before I think I am ready to submit. But now I am hearing some firms are not submitting numerical tests?

Anyway, good luck to everyone.

P.S - I made some calls and found out Barclays is opening in November and Citi in the next couple of weeks.

Welcome to thread!

Where in finance did you work?

Oh don't mind the tests really, all it takes is just practice and brushing up on the basic ratio, percentage etc stuff.

And yes, Goldman and JPM have no tests in their process. Barclays does have a mixed personality/situational judgement and numerical 'challenge' but it's untimed.

Best of luck with your applications.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Welcome to thread!

Oh don't mind the tests really, all it takes is just practice and brushing up on the basic ratio, percentage etc stuff.

And yes, Goldman and JPM have no tests in their process. Barclays does have a mixed personality/situational judgement and numerical 'challenge' but it's untimed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Worked in Asset Management. And yeah you're right, just upset that a whole application could just come down to whether I am in the top quartile of a maths test.

Practice, practice, practice...
Lol same, they're being so haphazard with their recruiting.. I don't even think they'll be hiring any grads/summer interns in front office this year. That said, still enjoyed the insight programme there - met a lot of cool people.

Fingers crossed for you then! I remember you saying a few months ago that you were doing a four year course, do you think that extra year of prep you've had has helped bolster your application this time round? Weighing up whether to apply this year or wait til next since I'm considering a year abroad.

For me, short of the disaster of exams/unexpected change of uni, I think I've matured a lot on this gap year I've just come off of. So hopefully that's reflected in my interviews and applications.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, their insight programme was great - just wish applying to them was a little easier!

I think the extra year has definitely been a good thing - having had a full year in uni (when most have had only a few weeks) is probably an advantage if you use it well. Networking, for one thing. Although I'm sure most places will appreciate the experiences of your gap year too.
Does HSBC have a numerical/verbal reasoning/situational judgement test? Haven't been sent one when i sent it off
(edited 7 years ago)
With regards to SEO.. Just got an email an opportunity to attend Barclays Master Class??

Is this worth it, will it enable a competitive edge when applying to Barclays..
Reply 885
Im starting first yr of economics at a non-target uni with no work experience and a pretty weak CV. Is there any point applying to SWs or should I try and bulk my CV and apply for summer internships.
Original post by JimmyF
Im starting first yr of economics at a non-target uni with no work experience and a pretty weak CV. Is there any point applying to SWs or should I try and bulk my CV and apply for summer internships.

I would say apply anyway, if you apply to enough places you might get 1 interview plus you would know how a application cycle works so you will be more prepared next year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JimmyF

Apply bro, nothing to lose you can still bulk up anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JimmyF

The logic doesnt follow, because you need to bulk your CV with Spring Weeks/Insight days to get a competitive Internship.

Most people on Internships have probably got hired through Spring Weeks also. So really you need to be applying for them (you have nothing to lose?).
Original post by BusMan21
The logic doesnt follow, because you need to bulk your CV with Spring Weeks/Insight days to get a competitive Internship.

Most people on Internships have probably got hired through Spring Weeks also. So really you need to be applying for them (you have nothing to lose?).

Not true, the vast majority won't have done any spring weeks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
2nd year of a 3 year degree but I plan to do a masters somewhere else. How do I show this on application/CV?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by yngblckby
2nd year of a 3 year degree but I plan to do a masters somewhere else. How do I show this on application/CV?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you have an offer already? If not, then just indicate it somewhere on the application form (e.g additional information etc).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by yngblckby

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unless there is an option to add masters (there is only on a few apps) then just write your graduating in 2019, they could just ask you in the interview and you can just tell them ur plans. (This is what an analyst told me to do)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 893
Would it be a bad idea to postpone applications to the end of October? My original idea was early October.
Original post by RWiz
Would it be a bad idea to postpone applications to the end of October? My original idea was early October.

Nope sensible. Summer and grad threads are moving slowly this year, so we might not see any action until later on anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What tests does CS have after submitting please? Thanks 😊
Reply 896
Original post by economicss
What tests does CS have after submitting please? Thanks 😊

Verbal followed by Numerical.

For UBS it's just a Numerical one but it's a bit longer and more difficult.
Original post by Jker
Verbal followed by Numerical.

For UBS it's just a Numerical one but it's a bit longer and more difficult.

Thank you!
Are the assessment day numericals typically harder or easier than the real thing?
Reply 899
Welcome to thread!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is Barclays open? I can't seem to find it.

Latest

Trending

Trending