The Student Room Group

Working night shift once a week while at uni- is this a good idea?

I'm entering my 2nd year at university, studying physics. For about 5-6 weeks, I was thinking of being an Xmas temp at the Royal Mail (have to select an interview slot), once a week, which would be nightshift on Saturday (10pm-6am). However, I'm worried this might affect my grades, since I wont be able to work as much over the weekend, so would like some advice (i.e. whether it's a good idea or not, and whether you'd do it). The pay is around £9/hour

Thanks
Reply 1
You would be able to do personal study during weekday non-lecture time and Sunday evenings. One night shift on a Saturday sounds totally manageable to me.
Original post by bobbricks
I'm entering my 2nd year at university, studying physics. For about 5-6 weeks, I was thinking of being an Xmas temp at the Royal Mail (have to select an interview slot), once a week, which would be nightshift on Saturday (10pm-6am). However, I'm worried this might affect my grades, since I wont be able to work as much over the weekend, so would like some advice (i.e. whether it's a good idea or not, and whether you'd do it). The pay is around £9/hour

Thanks

how long did they take to reply i just applied so was wondering
Reply 3
Original post by heretohelp123
how long did they take to reply i just applied so was wondering

About 7 days
Original post by bobbricks
About 7 days

how did they contact you. when is ur interview
It'll disrupt your sleep pattern. So it will affect more than just the weekend.
Reply 6
Original post by Cremated_Spatula
It'll disrupt your sleep pattern. So it will affect more than just the weekend.

Will one night shift disrupt sleep pattern? I see that more the result of a regular series of night shifts.

For example, those that religiously go on a weekend night out, are they unable to maintain study because of seriously disrupted sleep pattern?
Original post by CCC75
Will one night shift disrupt sleep pattern? I see that more the result of a regular series of night shifts.

For example, those that religiously go on a weekend night out, are they unable to maintain study because of seriously disrupted sleep pattern?

Consistency is better when it comes to sleep, I know being awake for 24 hours and sleeping during the day would affect me throughout the week but not everyone is the same I suppose.

Not impossible to maintain study, never said it was. By my recollection, most are barely able to maintain study, the rest drop out. Although I imagine religiously going on an all-nighter has a worse aftermath than taking a nightshift.
I got into financial turmoil in first year and had to work night shifts in a warehouse.... It was horrible and ruined my grades but I was doing 60 hours a week, you'll be fine with just 8.. And £9/hr is more than descent for a student gig, you'd be making more than most bartenders and shop workers
Original post by CCC75
You would be able to do personal study during weekday non-lecture time and Sunday evenings. One night shift on a Saturday sounds totally manageable to me.

I agree
In my first year I worked 1n ight shift a week and one day shift, baring in mind I was only at uni for 10 hours a week over 2 days (Monday and Tuesday) so those 2 days were dedicated to uni work, then I had a day shift on a Thursday and night shift Friday but it was extremely manageable
Would you say that 2 nights a week... 12 hours total would be realistic for a uni student??
Reply 12
I am a university student, I'm currently working night shifts on both Saturday and Sunday for few months already. As much it is completely manageable with the time, especially for people like me that have to provide for themselves, I don't think I would recommend it. It just really messes up your sleeping pattern, I was at uni came back home should go to sleep but it's 2 am and I still can't. And during the days I'm completely exhausted. Really messes you up

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending