The Student Room Group

What comes up in the exam....

I know this might seem dumb, but i've just started Year 10 and decided to look up past papers. On there I saw the first question included atomic structure (which we haven't been learning at the moment) . Anyways i wanted to know how much of what we learnt in year 7,8 and 9 comes up in the exam? And if we will ever revisit the topics we learnt in the recent years?
for me hardly anything (from year 8 and 7), I think some of the basics of chemistry you should know like MR,electrons,protons, neutrons
Years 7, 8, 9 are irrelevant. I've never heard a question like this come up before because those years don't matter. Only stuff you learn in years 10 and 11 count towards your GCSE.
Reply 3
Original post by Callum323
Years 7, 8, 9 are irrelevant. I've never heard a question like this come up before because those years don't matter. Only stuff you learn in years 10 and 11 count towards your GCSE.

Oh ok so like arranging the electrons in Atoms wont come up?
Original post by YoungG
Oh ok so like arranging the electrons in Atoms wont come up?

You learn that in year 10 I'm sure. Just go through your GCSE textbook / revision guide and anything that's in there may come up in the exam.
Reply 5
Refer to GCSE text books or look at the syllabus online for each subject, whatever is there, has the possibility to come up in the exam. Year 7 and year 8 and maybe year 9 (unless you started a gcse course then) work will not count towards gcse at all unless you did some work relevant to the gcse syllabus.
Original post by YoungG
I know this might seem dumb, but i've just started Year 10 and decided to look up past papers. On there I saw the first question included atomic structure (which we haven't been learning at the moment) . Anyways i wanted to know how much of what we learnt in year 7,8 and 9 comes up in the exam? And if we will ever revisit the topics we learnt in the recent years?

I did my GCSE's this summer and nothing came up from yr7/yr8. Some gcse courses (maths, science and rs) I started in yr 9 so this was included, but it was very basic stuff. Most stuff is from yr 10 and yr11!:smile:

To know EXACTLY what you need to learn for the exam, print off the specifications which are on the exam board's website!:smile: Nothing that isn't on the spec will not come up, well unless AQA decide to screw you over too...:tongue:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by YoungG

None of it :smile: Year 7, 8 and 9 really just teach you the ''basics'' (unless your school starts GCSEs in year 9)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by bcope2000
Refer to GCSE text books or look at the syllabus online for each subject, whatever is there, has the possibility to come up in the exam. Year 7 and year 8 and maybe year 9 (unless you started a gcse course then) work will not count towards gcse at all unless you did some work relevant to the gcse syllabus.

Oh ok thanks
Reply 9
Original post by sunshine774
I did my GCSE's this summer and nothing came up from yr7/yr8. Some gcse courses (maths, science and rs) I started in yr 9 so this was included, but it was very basic stuff. Most stuff is from yr 10 and yr11!:smile:

To know EXACTLY what you need to learn for the exam, print off the specifications which are on the exam board's website!:smile: Nothing that isn't on the spec will not come up, well unless AQA decide to screw you over too...:tongue:

Thanks guys for the help.
I remember we learnt the basics/combined subjects in year 7 and 8 which was completely irrelevant! I just did my gcses this summer, and got 2 Bs in core and additional. In year 9, the courses got separated and even switched exam boards half way through the year. Some of the stuff was in there but was mainly just year 10 and 11 things, so I wouldn't worry because it is the start of the year. But it might be worthwhile starting a few revision notes so you don't forget anything by the time it comes to your exams like I did and had to relearn a lot of it! Good luck.
Remember to print off the spec too, as this helps you to know what you need.
Original post by YoungG
Thanks guys for the help.

You're welcome- just ask me if you need any more help!:h:

Quick Reply

Latest