The Student Room Group

Possible to sit just the A2 Exams at another 6th form and the AS ones at my one?

My school is happy with me retaking my AS Maths as my results weren't the best due to circumstances and even after alot of begging and persuading they are still dead set against me going onto the A2 Course. As I am in Year 13 currently and I do want to go University this year do you think it'll be possible at all for me to resit the AS at my school and possibly asking another 6th form near me to allow me to sit in for their A2 Exam as a External Candidate? And maybe possibly attend classes if the timetables doesn't clash. As I plan to get a tutor and self teach myself all the A2 Content as I already know the AS content.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by AlphaX5
My school is happy with me retaking my AS Maths as my results weren't the best due to circumstances and even after alot of begging and persuading they are still dead set against me going onto the A2 Course. As I am in Year 13 currently and I do want to go University this year do you think it'll be possible at all for me to resit the AS at my school and possibly asking another 6th form near me to allow me to sit in for their A2 Exam as a External Candidate? And maybe possibly attend classes if the timetables doesn't clash. As I plan to get a tutor and self teach myself all the A2 Content as I already know the AS content.

You can take the exams as a private candidate if you wish. Most schools/colleges don't take private candidates and of those that do some are not happy to take candidates who are in full time education elsewhere. It might not be easy to find a centre. There is no chance of attending lessons at another college whether or not the timetables clash, they won't teach you for free and they won't be able to claim government funding for you. Make sure to check the summer exam timetables for exam clashes, you can't be in two places at once. You will be doing your UCAS application through your school, they are unlikely to predict you a grade for A level maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by gdunne42
You can take the exams as a private candidate if you wish. Most schools/colleges don't take private candidates and of those that do some are not happy to take candidates who are in full time education elsewhere. It might not be easy to find a centre. There is no chance of attending lessons at another college whether or not the timetables clash, they won't teach you for free and they won't be able to claim government funding for you. Make sure to check the summer exam timetables for exam clashes, you can't be in two places at once. You will be doing your UCAS application through your school, they are unlikely to predict you a grade for A level maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do recommend is the right course of action for me? As I really need a good prediction and I also really want to take the whole ALevel in one year but my school isn't letting me and I want to go University this year not next year through my school.
Original post by AlphaX5
What do recommend is the right course of action for me? As I really need a good prediction and I also really want to take the whole ALevel in one year but my school isn't letting me and I want to go University this year not next year through my school.

Assuming you don't do maths, what are you doing this year?
What do you want to study at uni? Where do you hope to go?
Why is it it essential you go this year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by gdunne42
Assuming you don't do maths, what are you doing this year?
What do you want to study at uni? Where do you hope to go?
Why is it it essential you go this year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well for 6th Form I'm doing Business, Psychology and Maths. I have the chose of either retaking AS at my School and picking up Media or I can do A2 externally which means I can go Uni this year.
I plan to Study Law at University and I hope to go either Warwick, Birmingham, Leeds, Liverpool and Manchester. I'd rather not stay at my school another year for several reasons such as that my friends will be at Uni and I'll basically be kept behind a year and my parents won't be happy and I'll be going Uni same time as my sister as well.
Original post by AlphaX5
Well for 6th Form I'm doing Business, Psychology and Maths. I have the chose of either retaking AS at my School and picking up Media or I can do A2 externally which means I can go Uni this year.
I plan to Study Law at University and I hope to go either Warwick, Birmingham, Leeds, Liverpool and Manchester. I'd rather not stay at my school another year for several reasons such as that my friends will be at Uni and I'll basically be kept behind a year and my parents won't be happy and I'll be going Uni same time as my sister as well.

I haven't checked but I assume as they are all highly ranked universities they won't make you a UCAS points offer for Law and so you'll need grades from 3 full A levels.
If your school won't let you take A2 maths then they won't predict you a result for it.
As a first step I'd contact those universities and ask for their opinion on your application if you take A2 maths privately. I'd also consider how you will tell your school that your are going to do the maths A level despite their advice. I wonder if you are being realistic? If you have done so poorly that your school won't let you continue with maths, is a good grade a realistic target? Either way, a backup plan in case maths doesn't fly would be a good idea.
You could apply to lower ranked universities and if you pull off the maths result, then try to use adjustment/clearing to win a place at a better university. No guarantees that this would be possible.
Keep in mind you are spending close to £50,000 to go to uni. It needs to be the right choice. Your sister/friends plans shouldn't really force your decision. A gap year may be the best choice for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending