The Student Room Group

Recruitment Agency experiences?

So after leaving university, and having a years worth of experience in the sector of jobs im applying for, I never get an interview. Im only applying for jobs that were on the same level I was previously doing. My CV has been updated plenty of times but nothing. Every rejection I get comes from a recruitment agency, telling me i'm unsuccessful and they'll keep my details on file. Do people think these jobs even exist? Or just a sneaky tactic to get your details on their system? What experiences have people had?
Original post by DaisyPop32
So after leaving university, and having a years worth of experience in the sector of jobs im applying for, I never get an interview. Im only applying for jobs that were on the same level I was previously doing. My CV has been updated plenty of times but nothing. Every rejection I get comes from a recruitment agency, telling me i'm unsuccessful and they'll keep my details on file. Do people think these jobs even exist? Or just a sneaky tactic to get your details on their system? What experiences have people had?

Recruitment agencies like anything are a mixed bag, you get good ones and not so good ones. From my previous and professional experience of recruitment agencies I've always had a job with them. However you shouldn't really solely let them do all the legwork. They are very busy people dealing with hundreds of clients and they don't get enough time on their hands to look after very candidate, but of course they do try. Also you need a job right? Well like everyone else, you have to get out there, look for it and ask around. No one will tell you what you need to do in your life, so you need to think for yourself.

I've started work in a (healthcare) recruitment agency myself this week but not in a consultant role though. I mainly deal with clients' bookings and calling every candidate there are to check their availability for work. To be honest I don't think most candidates want work than they actually say as most of them say they're not available - at all!
Original post by DaisyPop32

Some agencies do sometimes put out fake ads to get people on the books, although not all their ads will be fake i I'm sure not all agencies do that. A friend of mine had a really good experience with agencies, getting two paid internships with top companies. What she did was to phone them and discuss her requirements and highlight her skills before she sent her CV in which made her stand out from the masses so they put her forward for the roles. I on the other hand tried to use agencies as a back up option whilst also applying to roles directly and didn't have so much luck. I just uploaded my CV via the website, most agencies just ignored me, one called up to follow up on it, however as soon as they found out I was doing voluntary work and it had bee na while since I graduated they didn't want to know, one followed up via email and I never heard back after that. One agency did invite me to register with them (and they were totally honest it was just registration to get me on the books, rather than luring me with a fake job) but they didn't turn out too helpful- they only directly put me forward for one role which I didn't get, I tried applying for two more and never heard anything and the other roles they suggested weren't suitable. Thankfully now I have work but if I was to go down the agency route again I would definitley want to make phone contact to get myself known. I would also continue with making direct applications too and I suggest you look into that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending