The Student Room Group

The "Is this university/course good enough for banking/consultancy?" thread [part 2]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gladiatorsword
Depends on your ps. Spread out your risk
Pick 2 or 3 'top tier unis' - oxbridge, ucl lse warwick
1 or 2 mid tier like notts bristol or bath
1 or 2 low tier/easier to get into like manchester or leeds

Depends on your predicted grades too and whether you do maths or FM at a level
Having said that you stand an excellent chance at some very good universities provided you have a good PS and extea curriculurs. Be wise. The world may or may not be your oyster
Posted from TSR Mobile

Im doing maths econ fm predicted A*a*a
So wud usay lse ucl bath warwick manchester are good choices
May put in nottingham not sure tho and is leeds bettter than manchester and sheffield?
Original post by youreanutter
Also with 5A*s at gcse 3as 1b and 4as at AS where shud i bellooking to apply where I have a decent choice for their economics or maths and economics degrees where i have a good chance of getting in and also a voo7good chance of IB

I'd apply to 3 or 4 targets and 1 or 2 semis if I were you
Im doing maths econ fm predicted A*a*a
So wud usay lse ucl bath warwick manchester are good choices
May put in nottingham not sure tho and is leeds bettter than manchester and sheffield?
Manchester is a semi target, leeds and sheffield are non targets, so no.
Are kings qmul and Birmingham and southampton semi targets
And will the new econ degre at kings be semi target
Are kings qmul and Birmingham and southampton semi targets
And will the new econ degre at kings be semi target

courses aren't targeted, universities are. and yh kings is a semi-arget the other two not so much, but at the same time won't hinder your chances with a good enough application.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Trapz99
Saw that the thread ended so started a new one.

FAQs:
Which universities are the best for banking?
Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Imperial and Warwick (in no order) are typically targeted more by banks. After this, Nottingham, Bristol, Durham, Bath, Loughborough, Manchester, Cass and some other ones are semi-targets.

Which degree course is the best for banking?
Doesn't matter at all. You can go into banking with a classics or music degree as much as from an economics or maths degree.

If you ask one of these aforementioned questions, I will egg your house/apartment.

Howcomes bath isn't a target from banks as i heard it has one of the highest number of people gettingnjobs from them and has one of the best grad prospects to go into banking on websites etc
Howcomes bath isn't a target from banks as i heard it has one of the highest number of people gettingnjobs from them and has one of the best grad prospects to go into banking on websites etc

Because, a) fewer numbers and b) less banks actively target Bath vs Oxbridge, LSE, Warwick, UCL etc. It is squarely a semi-target, target for some banks and not for others - simples.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Trapz99

FAQs:
Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Imperial and Warwick (in no order) are typically targeted more by banks. After this, Nottingham, Bristol, Durham, Bath, Loughborough, Manchester, Cass and some other ones are semi-targets.

Doesn't matter at all. You can go into banking with a classics or music degree as much as from an economics or maths degree.

If you ask one of these aforementioned questions, I will egg your house/apartment.

Why isn't Durham a target university? Hasn't it in the Top 10 for years?

Also, it's in the top 10 for Barclays as another poster showed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by asmuse123

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can you guys just read the FAQ thread, and preferably the answer to the exact same question above?

Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 49
Original post by asmuse123

Also, it's in the top 10 for Barclays as another poster showed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not a target university because not all banks target it, unlike Oxbridge, UCL, LSE, Imperial and Warwick. It is a semi-target because some banks, like Barclays, target it.
Original post by Trapz99

FAQs:

Is st andrews semi target?
Reply 51
Is st andrews semi target?

Yes
Reply 52
Original post by Trapz99
Yes

Newcastle semi target ?
Reply 53
i can see that SOAS isnt even a semi-target, i take it it is still worth applying....right? i know that big firms target specific universities who they have a close relationship with (career fairs and such) and given that LSE is a target and they are under the same banner as soas, would it be a bit of a stretch to assume that we are allowed to attend their career fairs? ive asked the school too and am awaiting a reply but would just like to ask whether this has happened before

ive already done two internships with smaller firms and am hoping to get an internship/graduate scheme at a bigger bank.
Could you tell me where KCL, uni of Southampton, & uni of Birmingham stand in IB?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sophie31289
Could you tell me where KCL, uni of Southampton, & uni of Birmingham stand in IB?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't worry read answer further up

Posted from TSR Mobile
Which is best for IB out of Bristol bath durham
Which is best for IB out of Bristol bath durham

They're all on par, choose based on your own preferences outside of IB prospects

Posted from TSR Mobile
OK so I want to work in investment banking in the future but I want to study languages at university. I'd be applying to Cambridge, Warwick, UCL, Durham and somewhere else.
Obviously Cambridge would be my first choice but failing that, what would be my second choice? UCL or Warwick?
Original post by ___Sophie___
OK so I want to work in investment banking in the future but I want to study languages at university. I'd be applying to Cambridge, Warwick, UCL, Durham and somewhere else.
Obviously Cambridge would be my first choice but failing that, what would be my second choice? UCL or Warwick?

makes no shred of difference

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending