The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by clairebear101
What does a score of being in the 9th decile mean?? am i in the top 20%? or what? also what unis don't look much at ps for scoring as i dont think mine is very good and our college gives little support.

9th decile means the 90th percentile so top 10%.
Original post by ford2910
Please tell me the score is likely to lower by the end? I know the average was 1902 at the end of the testing season last year but does anyone know what the average was at this point last year? That would probably give us a better understanding.

I really hope its going to be lower at the end!
Hi guys, is 693 a safe score for St. George's, Southampton and UEA?
Just did it today, and IF YOU EVEN FEEL THE SLIGHTEST NEED TO PEE, GO IN THE DECISION ANALYSIS SECTION, I had to run out to the loo with 5 minutes to go in my QR section. I got 737 and band 1 in the end but holy **** I was lucky the toilet was just outside... it was one of the most embarrassing moments I've had a long time, lol, and I regret losing those 2 minutes pretty badly.

(I'm applying for GEM so I could have done with an extra couple of correct questions on my QR!)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Not_a_horse
No, not at all, whilst its true that Vr is a bit harder in the real exam, the same technique still applies, the passages are longer but scanning through them for key words os much quicker than reading the whole thing first.v

I thought we all got different questions Bc UKCAT has a bank of questions. I do think it's unfair if we all have different questions tho, specially since every single question is worth the same amount of marks. So we definitely all do the same questions right? (If so I'm f***** for vr. Already find it difficult and people say its harder in the real thing.)

Guys do you think its strange that only 10,000 people have done the ukcat so far, last year 23,000 people did it and so far with only 3 weeks left not that many people will be doing it right?

I think most people have left it late. I was trying to book in late August and all the places were full so I had to book to do in another city. But last year when I booked in early September they had loads of places left. So fingers crossed that average scores will go down if loads of people are doing it later, bc they'll have school/a2 to deal with.
Original post by Medici103
9th decile means the 90th percentile so top 10%.

No it doesn't. *Exact opposite actually.*
Original post by hopes

Really? Do you mean 9th decile means in the top 90%? Because how can u Be in the top 90% of people with a score of 2190?
Original post by hopes

How do you figure that? Are you saying that the 9th decile is the lowest score group?
(edited 7 years ago)
How much harder is the AR in the real thing compared to the ukcat official tests? Which is most like ?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by KB_97
Are the Kaplan practise tests free or do I have to pay (really can't afford anything like this rn. Specially since there's only a couple of days left till my exam)

You have to pay for them, unfortunately. Do you have medify? Because that's also good too, my only problem with medify was that the practice questions (not necessarily the mocks) for QR were much harder than those in the real exam since there was so much info to process before answering the question.
Original post by smoggie98
Ah right im doing the 1-6 online mocks and im just it a bit worried with my QR tbh as im getting low 600s even tho last year i managed to somehow get 700 in the real thing and i remember guessing loads at the end as well. With AR i think ill need a bit of luck on the day in the first 2 mocks i did i got in the 700s and just today i got 570 lmao its so hit and miss, thanks for the reply tho

ok so literally QR was my worst whilst practising, but it was my best section in the real thing :redface: I often got somewhere between 570-650 for QR in mocks (not just kaplan ones, the official ones and medify ones too), but I got 750 in the real thing so its either nicer marking in the real exam or I just got super lucky when guessing, because I thought I did really rubbish!! Try not to stress too much over QR, just take a deep breath before that section in the exam and you'll be fine :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by stardust-dream
ok so literally QR was my worst whilst practising, but it was my best section in the real thing :redface: I often got somewhere between 570-650 for QR in mocks (not just kaplan ones, the official ones and medify ones too), but I got 750 in the real thing so its either nicer marking in the real exam or I just got super lucky when guessing, because I thought I did really rubbish!! Try not to stress too much over QR, just take a deep breath before that section in the exam and you'll be fine :biggrin:

the questions were simply easier.
Original post by MF12345
Did my UKCAT today!
QR - 780 (didn't get any higher than 600 in mocks :biggrin:)
VR - 630 (very pleased as I thought I had completely bombed it)
AR - 600 (not anything special but I never really got the hang of AR so I'm happy)
band 1 SJ
Average 670
I'm pretty pleased, hopefully it will be enough as I'm applying to all Scottish uni's - though seeing so many people do amazingly on here (700+) amazes
and worries me a little - how am I meant to compete with that!
If anyone wants to ask me anything I'm more than happy to help

can you delve into how you found qr please i am worried!!! what questions did they ask and were they long to work out?
Original post by Sniperdon227
can you delve into how you found qr please i am worried!!! what questions did they ask and were they long to work out?

I found QR significantly better and easier than any of the 1000q and a similar standard to Kaplan questions. I'd say 80-90% of the time the questions required simple calculations, mostly percentages fractions take away sums etc. As for the data, it was easy enough to understand most of the time and it was mainly pie chats, bar graphs and tables! I managed to complete roughly 80% of the questions, quickly guessing about 20%. It seems that a lot of people perform better and find the real QR much easier than mocks so don't worry, just keep practising!:smile:
Original post by Xenon17
the questions were simply easier.

they weren't any easier than QR in Kaplan mocks 1-6, because I'd say QR questions in the real exam were of the same difficulty. I really do think the marking for the real exam is different to that of the mocks.
Guys do you think its strange that only 10,000 people have done the ukcat so far, last year 23,000 people did it and so far with only 3 weeks left not that many people will be doing it right?

Apparently, going from UKCATS Twitter, there's 22000 people or so registered to do it, hopefully that means the average for this year will go down haha here's hoping.
Guys I'm applying with acheieved grades and so do you think they will be more lenient with my ukcat?
Original post by MF12345
I found QR significantly better and easier than any of the 1000q and a similar standard to Kaplan questions. I'd say 80-90% of the time the questions required simple calculations, mostly percentages fractions take away sums etc. As for the data, it was easy enough to understand most of the time and it was mainly pie chats, bar graphs and tables! I managed to complete roughly 80% of the questions, quickly guessing about 20%. It seems that a lot of people perform better and find the real QR much easier than mocks so don't worry, just keep practising!:smile:

Were there many multistep questions? I find the maths easy, it's just its really time consuming when there's multiple steps for a question. It takes more than 40 seconds and then I start panicking and i end up on a downward spiral.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by abzz11
Guys I'm applying with acheieved grades and so do you think they will be more lenient with my ukcat?

I'm applying with achieved grades too. I think we just have to be careful in choosing unis. It all best to choose unis that look at ur a2 results and credit them in some way. If you dont mind me asking what grades did you get? Answer where aren't u thinking of applying. Pm if u want to
Anyone else find that there's next to no point in reviewing VR answers once you've done them? I mean it's kinda useful to see how to get the answer I guess but the main problem is being able to do it in the time limits of the exam itself. The questions themselves aren't actually hard.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending