The Student Room Group

A - Level - School won't let me take maths

My school won't let me take maths even though I got a B but the requirement at my school is an A. They didn't even review my maths scores or see my maths teachers to see how much effort i put into it and my maths teacher thought I could get an A* (but I didn't for personal reasons atm but considering that I actually did pretty well still). I don't understand it because they're making me take economics in which i hate but won't let me do a subject I actually enjoy and will out the effort in to.

But anyway i was wondering if there was another way to get a maths skill maybe not an A level but i dont know like is there something you can do to put in my cv ?? Because I'm not happy with my B in maths and i don't have the time or money to retake it Thank you
Original post by nishabliss
My school won't let me take maths even though I got a B but the requirement at my school is an A. They didn't even review my maths scores or see my maths teachers to see how much effort i put into it and my maths teacher thought I could get an A* (but I didn't for personal reasons atm but considering that I actually did pretty well still). I don't understand it because they're making me take economics in which i hate but won't let me do a subject I actually enjoy and will out the effort in to.

But anyway i was wondering if there was another way to get a maths skill maybe not an A level but i dont know like is there something you can do to put in my cv ?? Because I'm not happy with my B in maths and i don't have the time or money to retake it Thank you

Self-teach it and sit the exams externally.
Reply 2
Original post by RDKGames
Self-teach it and sit the exams externally.

How would I take it externally ??

(Thanks for the reply btw )

Your school may allow it if you ask. Otherwise, try other local 6th form places and see if they can put up a place for you.

Just a warning, self-teaching yourself maths may not be a good idea, it's one of the hardest subjects to grasp, and, if you do end up doing it you'd probably need a tutor at least.
Reply 5
Original post by RDKGames
Your school may allow it if you ask. Otherwise, try other local 6th form places and see if they can put up a place for you.

I've asked already and it's a firm no. My schools a grammar school and I have to do 4 a levels and an enrichment (Which could include self teaching myself a subject, work experience, projects, open uni etc) but they would never allow me to teach maths to myself. My school is also partnership with another school and I asked if I could go there to do maths as there requirements for maths is a b (they're not a grammer school) but they said no because they have low expectations or something idk?? and then thats why they made me do economics :frown:((
Reply 6
Original post by lw8
Just a warning, self-teaching yourself maths may not be a good idea, it's one of the hardest subjects to grasp, and, if you do end up doing it you'd probably need a tutor at least.

Yeah i know:biggrin::biggrin: If I can't do it as an A level in which I 100% can't (unless I move sixth forms) then i wanna do like something maths skilled but idk what, maybe an open uni course??
Yeah i know:biggrin::biggrin: If I can't do it as an A level in which I 100% can't (unless I move sixth forms) then i wanna do like something maths skilled but idk what, maybe an open uni course??

Do you know what you want to take at uni yet? Is maths required?
Reply 8
Original post by lw8
Do you know what you want to take at uni yet? Is maths required?

Accountancy, in which probably yes i need maths I'm guessing
Accountancy, in which probably yes i need maths I'm guessing

I'm not necessarily sure thats true, maybe for some of the very top unis but i'm pretty sure its not required for most? I might be wrong. You should take one of economics/business if you are planning on doing accountancy though.

Quick Reply

Latest