The Student Room Group

How to get A* in A-Level Biology

I'm doing A-level in Biology (Edexcel) and Chemistry (Edexcel) with the new specification. I've seen that there are three exams for each with the last exam looking to seem extremely difficult.
1.)What books/revision guides should I buy to get an A/A* in these subjects?
2.)Are the text books enough to achieve a high grade because I've heard that you have to go beyond the specification in order to achieve a high grade
3.) Do you think it's possible to achieve a high grade by learning/revising from textbook/ revision guides independently?
Reply 1
Original post by jj.repinec
I'm doing A-level in Biology (Edexcel) and Chemistry (Edexcel)with the new specification. I've seen that there are three exams for each with the last exam looking to seem extremely difficult.
1.)What books/revision guides should I buy to get an A/A* in these subjects?
2.)Are the text books enough to achieve a high grade because I've heard that you have to go beyond the specification in order to achieve a high grade
3.) Do you think it's possible to achieve a high grade by learning/revising from textbook/ revision guides independently?

Read through text-book completely twice (should only take you about 2-3 weeks). Following this you should go through the specification and answer all the objectives - any that you struggle on should be addressed. Finally move onto past papers (in your case there will only be 1-2). Any topics you struggle with should be revised thoroughly.

Buy the recommended text books from teachers (should follow the specification). I would suggest reading the book "how to ace your a-levels". The authors are both doctors and struggled at AS. I employed the techniques they talked about and it was incredibly helpful.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me (A*A*A - Bio, Chem and maths)
Reply 2
Original post by ExamLeak
Read through text-book completely twice (should only take you about 2-3 weeks). Following this you should go through the specification and answer all the objectives - any that you struggle on should be addressed. Finally move onto past papers (in your case there will only be 1-2). Any topics you struggle with should be revised thoroughly.

Buy the recommended text books from teachers (should follow the specification). I would suggest reading the book "how to ace your a-levels". The authors are both doctors and struggled at AS. I employed the techniques they talked about and it was incredibly helpful.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me (A*A*A - Bio, Chem and maths)

Wow congratulations on those amazing results (it would be a dream to get those results since i'm doing the same subject as you). Since I would only have 1 or 2 past papers for the new syllabus, would the old past papers from the 2008 specification still be useful. Also do the exams at A-Level, also have questions that are not stated in the specification? Im asking this because they always did this in the GCSE exams. How do i prepare for questions like these?

Quick Reply

Latest