The Student Room Group

Why is eating pig okay, but not eating dog?

Scroll to see replies

i have tried dog when i visited hong kong recently and it tastes awful as it's tough as old leather
In order to answer this question one has to evaluate what exactly we are addressing. If we are talking about the ethics behind eating animals, then deontologically speaking one would consume both animals. Simply because there is no reason why the life of one individual is more valuable than that of another. One thing to note is that value isn't always interchangeable with usefulness, i.e some people may point out that dogs function better as domestic animals who have aided humans for centuries, in such a case one could apply the same rule to suggest that a rich business is more valuable because he contributes more to the economy than someone who is unemployed. Note that while the businessmen might be more valuable to society or the economy, his life is no more valuable than someone else's. However humans do not operate on fixed notions, rather the majority are known as "rational particularists". What this means is that, in being rational, they will take each situation selectively and not base it on rules. So for example if there was a talented pig who could talk, a human would value that pig higher than any dog. Now what happens with particularism is that people create general trend lines. As in if I were to equate the average dog, with the average pig, who is more valuable. And for most people who have lived with dogs, it seems rational to assume that dogs are valuable for the assets they provide to humans such as but not limited to, "making us happy, helping the police force, etc". As humans cannot find a relative use for pigs other than to serve as their dinner, it seems rational to draw a general trend that the life of a dog is more beneficial to humans than the life of a pig. Biologically speaking a pig only takes 4 months to mature while a dog takes up to 2 years. Therefore to meet consumer production it is easier to house pigs which die faster than dogs which take longer to raise. There is also a cultural element for example in India it is the custom for hindu's to worship cows as they were known as the milk givers, However in the west we have little relationship with cows because we take their anatomy for granted. This then suggests that culture creates tendencies to favour one animal over another even if the reasoning doesn't follow the same logic. I know I haven't really answered your question as to why pigs are less valuable but I hope that i provided insight.
(edited 7 years ago)
Well in evolutionary terms we've evolved to see them as pets.This domestication is something that has existed for thousands of years.Dogs used to provide protection for humans and humans provided dogs with food.We just dont have the same relationship with pigs.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Instant cash prize for a logical, successful answer, along with the horrible feeling that accompanies having just persuaded someone to start eating dog.

Its ,because dog is mans best friend. Who the hell eats their best friend?

Do i get the cash prize? No? Okay ill expand.

Dogs will, protect your house from intruders, provide you with comfort, befriend your offspring, love you,

Do i get the cash prize now? No? Wow okay ill expand even more.

Dogs are loyal to us, and we can't just eat them. To be honest its quite unfair ,because I could imagine pigs being a loving pet. Its just how the world works unfortunatly.

EDIT: both are haram for me to eat anyways, so technically both are wrong xD
(edited 7 years ago)
it's quite simple, dogs are bred for slavery, pigs are bread for eating.
Leaving cultural and possible moral arguments aside, this is probably the reason:
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081121071638AACA4Eu
Reply 26
Dogs are more muscular less meaty animals and they're normally smaller than pigs so more butchering for less meat etc. And also people view the dog as a pet and something to be attached to like another family member, hows about mange-ing on your sister or mum wellington instead of beef wellington, yeah, not so appetising. And also they are as I said before a much higher % of muscle and lower of fat and nice meats so it's not really economically viable to eat dog. Unless you have the time for butchering and the money or breeding stock to breed copious numbers of dogs to feast upon. So it's not so much texture or taste as just generally it would be a bit awkward to eat a dog, Whereas pigs are not common pets and have lots of lovely meat on them like bacon, pigs make good food and need less butchery for more meat than a dog.
Reply 27
Original post by BobSausage
Dogs are more muscular less meaty animals and they're normally smaller than pigs so more butchering for less meat etc. And also people view the dog as a pet and something to be attached to like another family member, hows about mange-ing on your sister or mum wellington instead of beef wellington, yeah, not so appetising. And also they are as I said before a much higher % of muscle and lower of fat and nice meats so it's not really economically viable to eat dog. Unless you have the time for butchering and the money or breeding stock to breed copious numbers of dogs to feast upon. So it's not so much texture or taste as just generally it would be a bit awkward to eat a dog, Whereas pigs are not common pets and have lots of lovely meat on them like bacon, pigs make good food and need less butchery for more meat than a dog.

If dogs were fed the same way as pigs then there would certainly be more meat on them. Pigs are fat because they are fed a lot of food to make them fat- the same can be done to dogs.

Also there are many people who have pig pets. But even if there wasn't- that doesn't take away from the fact that both pigs and dogs can feel suffering. Also these dogs that are killed for meat were breeded for that reason.

You cant be against the killing of dogs while also eating other meat without being a ****ing hypocrite.
Not if you're a muslim silly
Original post by BobSausage

Just FYI the muscle is the part we generally eat of an animal.
Original post by Trapz99
Because it's cruel to eat dogs

Which is why I never eat hotdogs. :nah:
Original post by UWS
Because bacon

I've been waiting for someone to say that since 1998. :moon:
Culture.
We don't eat dogs, that can certainly not be said for the rest of the world. Here the saying mans best friend indicates the social status of dogs as being far higher than most other animals. Logistically, and humanely, it would be far harder to produce dog meat compared with pigs but that's about it...
Pigwomen get dates

Reply 34
Answer from a vegetarian perspective: eating a pig isn't okay (and neither is eating a dog).

Answer from a non-vegetarian perspective: whilst it isn't ethically wrong to eat a dog, it's also not inconsistent to eat pigs but not dogs, given dogs' cultural status as something more akin to family members than food.

Answer from an ethically disinterested perspective: consistent or not, eating pig is enjoyable whereas eating dog grosses me out.
Reply 35
pigs are not cute or loyal
Both okay. Pigs are just as intelligent as dogs. If you breed any animal to seek out human company, you will get a house pet. We just haven't done it with pigs yet

But I've never heard of a humane dog farm before. Usually dog meat is taken from strays, or stolen from their owners
Reply 37
Original post by Sough38
If dogs were fed the same way as pigs then there would certainly be more meat on them. Pigs are fat because they are fed a lot of food to make them fat- the same can be done to dogs.

Also there are many people who have pig pets. But even if there wasn't- that doesn't take away from the fact that both pigs and dogs can feel suffering. Also these dogs that are killed for meat were breeded for that reason.

You cant be against the killing of dogs while also eating other meat without being a ****ing hypocrite.

I never said I disagree with eating dogs, if it was efficient and healthy and regularly available I'd eat it, and yeah there ain't even half as many pet pigs as dogs.
As for suffering... any animal can feel that, but meat is nutritional, and in many ways it is better than supplements etc. and having to take pills etc. or have a ridiculously limited diet.
And meat tastes nice.
And there is also the factor of culture, we've been brought up in an environment where dogs are considered pets and pigs are considered food.
And also nothing is 'breeded' it is bred.
What you propose instead is that we live without meat, which is just a stupid unsustainable and ignorant idea from someone who has no understanding of how natural life occurs. Do you think a tiger gives a ... when it is tearing the throat out of a gazelle? Do you think it cares that this animal is in pain? Do you think that tiger is considering meat substitutes, nuts and berries?
And again on your pain point, yeah the industry does kill them in the quickest and least painful way possible, they don't cut them open whilst they're still alive, so they only suffer for a matter of seconds so that kinda makes your point nul and void.

Please kind yourself an ice pack before you get burned anymore.
Dogs are pack animals and are brilliant at communicating with humans, makes empathising with them very easy, especially if you've grown up with them.
Reply 39
Original post by Carthaginian
Look mate, are you a complete loser?
Why would you make a thread about something like this? Only asians eat dogs, idk why. But eating dogs is just nasty, dogs are these playful creatures who can be trained to help blind people. But pigs are just fat and ugly pink things that as just livestock. Dogs also taste nasty because look at their body shape ffs, barely any good meat on that, pigs, cows, chicken, sheep, they're just yummy.

Pigs can also be trained to help blind people. Also they can hunt for truffles. And pigs aren't ugly either, no more than some breeds of dog. Finally there's more meat on a dog than on a chicken. Your point?

Quick Reply

Latest