Year 13 Maths Help Thread

Scroll to see replies

Why is the answer +- for this C3 question

ln x^2 = 8
2lnx = 8
lnx = 4
x= e^4

But it should be x= +- e^4
Why is it +- (im not taking the sq rt of 8?)
Original post by kiiten

ln x^2 = 8
2lnx = 8
lnx = 4
x= e^4

If you exponentiate both sides to begin with you get x2=e8 x^2=e^8 .
Original post by kiiten

ln x^2 = 8
2lnx = 8
lnx = 4
x= e^4

You're not getting a negative because of your second step where ln(x) cannot take upon negative x values whereas in the first one the x in ln(x2) can indeed take upon both negative and positive ones. So technically speaking you can go ahead with your method as long as you remember to include the opposite sign of your answer.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by kiiten

ln x^2 = 8
2lnx = 8
lnx = 4
x= e^4

ln|x|=4 so |x|=e^4
Original post by SeanFM
Handy tip, at the end of a pdf link if you type '#page6' for example, it will take the reader to page 6 immediately.

OK do u know explanation for that answer
Original post by youreanutter
OK do u know explanation for that answer

Please link me to the correct page (that is the reason I told you how to do it), I do not want to filter through a whole PDF to look for a particular reference.

Thank you :h:
So i have this differentiation question,
Show that ddx((4x1)4x1)=64x1 \frac{d}{dx} ((4x-1)\sqrt{4x-1}) = 6\sqrt{4x-1}
I tried to use product rule, but the u and v are the same and i dont know how to go about it,
I tried the chain rule, but still have no clue, as there are x terms on both of them.
So basically i dont know where to get started
Original post by asinghj
So i have this differentiation question,
Show that ddx((4x1)4x1)=64x1 \frac{d}{dx} ((4x-1)\sqrt{4x-1}) = 6\sqrt{4x-1}
I tried to use product rule, but the u and v are the same and i dont know how to go about it,
I tried the chain rule, but still have no clue, as there are x terms on both of them.
So basically i dont know where to get started

product rule
u=sqrt(4x-1)
v=4x-1
derivative of uv = u*v' + u'*v

alternatively you're finding the derivative of (4x-1)^3/2, chain rule with 4x-1=u
Original post by ValerieKR
product rule
u=sqrt(4x-1)
v=4x-1
derivative of uv = u*v' + u'*v

alternatively you're finding the derivative of (4x-1)^3/2, chain rule with 4x-1=u

OMG, thank you. I spent the whole day trying to figure this out and was overcomplicating so much, when the answer was so simple😂😂

Spoiler

can someone explain how to do 1d?
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/engaa_s2_specimen_question_paper.pdf

For part C i resolved the forces to make acceleration the subject and integrated it to get velocity, and I got D as the answer for that, not sure how to work out part D, do I have to resolve again and include kv as drag?

or do I do kv=ma, use the acceleration from previous section?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by B_9710
If you exponentiate both sides to begin with you get x2=e8 x^2=e^8 .

the question is ln x^2 = 8
im confused how you got from that to x^2 = e^8

Original post by RDKGames
You're not getting a negative because of your second step where ln(x) cannot take upon negative x values whereas in the first one the x in ln(x2) can indeed take upon both negative and positive ones. So technically speaking you can go ahead with your method as long as you remember to include the opposite sign of your answer.

Im confused :s-smilie:
Hi gonna jump on this thread even though it's a bit late :smile:
I would like to be a helper and a learner lol as I have done C3, C4 and M2 and am now on a gap yahh doing FP1, FP2, S1 and S2. Did pretty good in both C3 and C4 so should be able to be quite helpful there, though maybe not as helpful as people who are really good at maths (i.e. those doing it at university)
Original post by kiiten

ln is log in base e, so you can do e to the power of both sides to eliminate the ln, understand?
Original post by metrize
can someone explain how to do 1d?
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/engaa_s2_specimen_question_paper.pdf

For part C i resolved the forces to make acceleration the subject and integrated it to get velocity, and I got D as the answer for that, not sure how to work out part D, do I have to resolve again and include kv as drag?

or do I do kv=ma, use the acceleration from previous section?

now I am a future biologist, so maybe not a leading authority on engineering - but I do think I've worked it out.
It makes sense the block will reach terminal velocity, right, when the forces acting forward = those acting backward.
So you set up the diagram, mg sin(a) down the slope and uN + kV up the slope, as we are adding in the air resistance term (kV). N = mg cos (a) , so you end up with this;
mg sin(a) = u mg cos(a) + kV
and you rearrange it get V out, because that V is gonna be the terminal velocity. At lesser values of V, the forces down slope would be greater and the object would accelerate. Do you agree with that?? Hope you can understand it lol (I had to use a for alpha and u for mu)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by kiiten

That is worrying if you're confused on that. Remember that ln(x2)=loge(x2)\ln(x^2)=\log_e(x^2), and you SHOULD be able to know what happens here after Core 2.

Original post by kiiten

Not sure how else to explain it to you. You should know that you cannot have a logarithm of a negative number, therefore ln(x)\ln(x) cannot have x as negatives. When it comes to ln(x2)\ln(x^2) however, then you CAN have negative x values because negatives/positives squared just become positive.

When you go from ln(x2)\ln(x^2) to 2ln(x)2\ln(x) you are essentially getting rid off all the negative x-values hence getting rid off one of the solutions. Get it?
Original post by k.russell
ln is log in base e, so you can do e to the power of both sides to eliminate the ln, understand?

Ohhhh so you do e^(ln x^2) = e^8
X^2 = e^8
X = sqrt e^8

?? Wait ive gone wrong, sorry my minds just gone blank :s-smilie:
Original post by kiiten
Ohhhh so you do e^(ln x^2) = e^8
X^2 = e^8
X = sqrt e^8

?? Wait ive gone wrong, sorry my minds just gone blank :s-smilie:

Remember that x2=4x^2 = 4 is asking "what numbers can I square to get 4?" And the answer is obviously x=2x=2, but don't forget that x=2x2=(2)2=2×2=4x = -2 \Rightarrow x^2 = (-2)^2 = -2 \times -2 = 4 also works.

In general, if you have x2=kx^2 = k then your solutions are x=±kx = \pm \sqrt{k}, so can you apply this here?
Original post by RDKGames
That is worrying if you're confused on that. Remember that ln(x2)=loge(x2)\ln(x^2)=\log_e(x^2), and you SHOULD be able to know what happens here after Core 2.

Not sure how else to explain it to you. You should know that you cannot have a logarithm of a negative number, therefore ln(x)\ln(x) cannot have x as negatives. When it comes to ln(x2)\ln(x^2) however, then you CAN have negative x values because negatives/positives squared just become positive.

When you go from ln(x2)\ln(x^2) to 2ln(x)2\ln(x) you are essentially getting rid off all the negative x-values hence getting rid off one of the solutions. Get it?

Kinda. Please could you remind me of that core 2 example you were talking about (ive forgotten most of it :3 )

Ok so if there are no -ve values why is the answet + or - ?? When it cant be a -ve? (I realised im over complicating it - sorry).
Fs.
It's just x^2=|x|^2

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kiiten
Ok so if there are no -ve values why is the answet + or - ?? When it cant be a -ve? (I realised im over complicating it - sorry).

When you have lnx\ln x then xx can't be negative, since you can't have a negative number inside the logarithm.

When you have lnx2\ln x^2 then xx can be negative, since x2x^2 will still be positive anyway and you can have that inside the logarithm.

Quick Reply

Latest