The Student Room Group

Chess games

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Electrospective
I suck at chess. :ahee: But I wanna play chess so....

Let the chess games begin! :colone:

EDIT: SOME OF YOU MAY NOT HAVE FIGURED THIS OUT BUT IT'LL BE AN ONLINE GAME OF CHESS......

Editededit: Quote me or tag me and I'll add you to the list below

Spoiler

ye bwoi, add me to this
Original post by IrrationalRoot
Well mainly what absolutely killed my motivation was my rejection from Cambridge but yeah I have exactly the same problems as you.
My STEP grades were only a result of hard work, I never got into any olympiad, I'm not actually very talented at maths at all; I certainly lack any creativity or any ability to understand anything remotely complicated in a reasonable length of time (it took me 2 f***ing days to actually understand the definition of a limit).

I'm not looking forward to the maths course at all. The only things I'm looking forward too are studying from my own maths books, maybe skip a few lectures to do so (I really don't care too much right now, but maybe that'll change as the workload increases and the course gets more interesting) and even more so being away from home and being able to be a lot of chess/tennis although I probably won't end up playing any tennis because it would require a certain degree of social skill. :colonhash:

I actually heard about that book and saw the pdf, will be studying that properly soon since Silman seems to really know how to teach. I'll also do that real board thing since it sounds fun and will be good prep going into OTB play in October.

Fair enough. I've always been too neurotic and susceptible to stress so honestly I think Cambridge would have been bad for me; hence when I got rejected I really didn't feel all that bad.

Skipping lectures is certainly no big deal...during most of term 2 I skipped probably the majority. In particular Discrete Maths 2, Linear Algebra and Analysis II I barely went; I got 80, 92 and 86 in the exams respectively. However I would certainly say that you may be underestimating the course; much of it (Analysis in particular) is really quite interesting. It could be more challenging, but it's worthwhile. First year, that is. I am dreadfully uninspired by what I've looked at for second year, hence my trepidation. I'd say just go for it with the tennis; I had an interest in badminton and went to that despite lack of social ability and most of the time you can just go on and play (quit for the usual reason I stop things: I dislike being too poor and not improving) and don't need to be that social lol.

Yeah it's really good. Feels proper authentic going through an actual book. I'm really hoping I can get into a team; I dunno if they have a preference for freshers (clearly I'd be limited to D or C teams with the strength of A and B). Or if not I hope there are at least proper competitive opportunities. Didn't go much last year after first term due to pool club.
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Fair enough. I've always been too neurotic and susceptible to stress so honestly I think Cambridge would have been bad for me; hence when I got rejected I really didn't feel all that bad.

Skipping lectures is certainly no big deal...during most of term 2 I skipped probably the majority. In particular Discrete Maths 2, Linear Algebra and Analysis II I barely went; I got 80, 92 and 86 in the exams respectively. However I would certainly say that you may be underestimating the course; much of it (Analysis in particular) is really quite interesting. It could be more challenging, but it's worthwhile. First year, that is. I am dreadfully uninspired by what I've looked at for second year, hence my trepidation. I'd say just go for it with the tennis; I had an interest in badminton and went to that despite lack of social ability and most of the time you can just go on and play (quit for the usual reason I stop things: I dislike being too poor and not improving) and don't need to be that social lol.

Yeah it's really good. Feels proper authentic going through an actual book. I'm really hoping I can get into a team; I dunno if they have a preference for freshers (clearly I'd be limited to D or C teams with the strength of A and B). Or if not I hope there are at least proper competitive opportunities. Didn't go much last year after first term due to pool club.

Are notes available for each lecture? I was thinking that if I skip a lecture I could just completely miss out on everything that was taught.

Eh, I might play tennis then. I mean, their tennis is probably the best university tennis out there, it has to be said. With clay courts and everything where are we, Barcelona? XD
I would consider myself pretty good at badminton (probably at this than tennis) despite playing very little but for some reason it doesn't interest me as much as tennis. Still might play it though since it's fun :smile:.

Definitely playing in every competition I can. No holding back lol. Would like to get into a respectable team but knowing my improvement curve that would take a whole year lol.
Are notes available for each lecture? I was thinking that if I skip a lecture I could just completely miss out on everything that was taught.

Eh, I might play tennis then. I mean, their tennis is probably the best university tennis out there, it has to be said. With clay courts and everything where are we, Barcelona? XD
I would consider myself pretty good at badminton (probably at this than tennis) despite playing very little but for some reason it doesn't interest me as much as tennis. Still might play it though since it's fun :smile:.

Definitely playing in every competition I can. No holding back lol. Would like to get into a respectable team but knowing my improvement curve that would take a whole year lol.

There are excellent printed notes available for all the core modules except Probability A (there are notes, but they aren't great: oh yeah, I missed every single lecture bar three out of the thirty for this and Prob B). There were pretty sparse and incomplete notes for Discrete Maths but there was a reasonable specification and an associated book which could be found for free online so I was okay. I pretty much never used my own notes to revise; if I made notes at all it was to try to consolidate the lecture in my head a bit better.

It costs a pretty price (I checked, I was sort of interested; I enjoy watching..) so I guess that's why.

I wasn't offered any competitions apart from going to the London Chess Classic (think it interfered with something else...I dunno, maybe I just couldn't be bothered at the time), but I hope that's just because I turned up so little.
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
There are excellent printed notes available for all the core modules except Probability A (there are notes, but they aren't great: oh yeah, I missed every single lecture bar three out of the thirty for this and Prob B). There were pretty sparse and incomplete notes for Discrete Maths but there was a reasonable specification and an associated book which could be found for free online so I was okay. I pretty much never used my own notes to revise; if I made notes at all it was to try to consolidate the lecture in my head a bit better.

It costs a pretty price (I checked, I was sort of interested; I enjoy watching..) so I guess that's why.

I wasn't offered any competitions apart from going to the London Chess Classic (think it interfered with something else...I dunno, maybe I just couldn't be bothered at the time), but I hope that's just because I turned up so little.

Gosh what were you doing in all those skipped lectures? :lol:
Sounds really relaxed then, just work whenever you feel like it; otherwise do whatever haha. Doesn't sound particularly challenging though...

How does team selection work? Do you need to play like trial games etc. to get into teams? I assume there'd be a least a little competition for spots on the teams.
Gosh what were you doing in all those skipped lectures? :lol:
Sounds really relaxed then, just work whenever you feel like it; otherwise do whatever haha. Doesn't sound particularly challenging though...

How does team selection work? Do you need to play like trial games etc. to get into teams? I assume there'd be a least a little competition for spots on the teams.

Mostly just sitting at home on youtube. Or sleeping. Or in the snooker room lol.
I think the first term is more important though. In particular Analysis and Foundations are useful for getting you into the feel of uni maths. I was more conscientious in the first term. Maybe not, but they do give tricky exercises, if you're that way inclined, on the weekly assignments. And obviously the greater the workload, the harder it is. I only took 129 CATS, you can take up to 150.

Honestly don't know. That's how it works in pool and snooker, but that's pool and snooker lol. The vice president (now the president; at the time he was pretty much running everything anyway) suggested I join a team and I said I was interested, so that suggests it's not that competitive. I suppose you can always e-mail someone (details on the SU page).
Make up for missing the win early on with a cheeky queen sacrifice (it's surprising how rarely I get to do this in games..) https://www.chess.com/live/game/1731693821
Trying not to play is not going too well. But at least I have done some other stuff today..
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ZiggyStarDust_
ye bwoi, add me to this

i think the tournament fizzled out after the first round!
Original post by john2054
i think the tournament fizzled out after the first round!

aw, shame.
aw, shame.

I'm still up for a free form one on one sometime if you like though?
I'm still up for a free form one on one sometime if you like though?

yeah, that sounds good

I mean, I'd beat your arse :^)

But hey, you're on
Open game: -------------
@CheeseIsVeg
@13 1 20 8 42
(edited 7 years ago)

Lol just when I was going to log off to do maths :rofl:
I hope you have a very punny game
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
Lol just when I was going to log off to do maths :rofl:
I hope you have a very punny game

Plaaay, don't be a square.
Original post by XOR_
Plaaay, don't be a square.

I can't play, I'll be a dodecahedron thanku v much :hand:
gimme an hour and we'll see
yeah, that sounds good

I mean, I'd beat your arse :^)

But hey, you're on

i am on most evenings/night time if you want to play then?
i am on most evenings/night time if you want to play then?

yeah, sure thing

I'll pm you when I'm avalible
Original post by Electrospective
I suck at chess. :ahee: But I wanna play chess so....

Let the chess games begin! :colone:

EDIT: SOME OF YOU MAY NOT HAVE FIGURED THIS OUT BUT IT'LL BE AN ONLINE GAME OF CHESS......

Editededit: Quote me or tag me and I'll add you to the list below

Spoiler

I play chess. Not very well though. I beat my dad, and he was the school champion when he was my age.
Original post by Mvine001
I play chess. Not very well though. I beat my dad, and he was the school champion when he was my age.

I think most remotely decent chess players were school champion at some point.
I was school champion when I was still just a beginner lol.

Quick Reply

Latest