The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jamz115
What office are you based in?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I still think it's a bit misleading because at the end of the day ... Virtually every job in the world requires GCSE Maths at C even retail ( no disrespect to those who work in retail) but you get my jist. By the sounds of it we are talking A Level Maths and I may have to reconsider a formal offer as a result because as much as I believe I could be a success in the role I'm not going to leave one job to then maybe be a success in this or maybe not and for them to use the 2 strikes and your out policy - then you'd have no job at all. Too many bills!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 121
Original post by Jamz115

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm based in Custom House atm then will be moving to regional centre in Belfast.
Original post by kezxo
The maths side is advanced at times.. Again this is my role only everyone's is different. Once you're placed I could give you a better idea. You're working out percentages, doing various calculations, checking records and finding audit trails. Again full training is given for this type of work but you are required to have more than basic maths skills GCSE grade C is required as a minimum because if the job is in tax it requires it. I was lucky as I studied international business management as one of my degrees so I had accounting and financial management under my belt before I started here and the training then provided information which I already knew so it was easier to pick it up. There is lots of support available and the trainers are lovely and most of the staff are willing to help but are really busy. If you're really concerned when you start you can always pick up a maths class at the college. Many people have done that to help them in their role... HMRC will not foot the bill for this nor give you time off! When you start and you hear everyone discussing cases and talking it's so daunting but I take trainees out with me a lot and try to explain things in plain English to them and use little things to help them understand easily. There's also lots and lots of guidance on our intranet, training manuals and your management will pick up development needs throughout the year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I still think it's a bit misleading because at the end of the day ... Virtually every job in the world requires GCSE Maths at C even retail ( no disrespect to those who work in retail) but you get my jist. By the sounds of it we are talking A Level Maths and I may have to reconsider a formal offer as a result because as much as I believe I could be a success in the role I'm not going to leave one job to then maybe be a success in this or maybe not and for them to use the 2 strikes and your out policy - then you'd have no job at all. Too many bills!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Quick question for those that have had their provisional offer following TSPCurrently at :

"We'd like to make you a provisional job offer.
We're conducting some pre-employment checks before we make you a formal offer. We'll contact you when we have finished these."

What about the attachments (Character enquiry form, pension questionnaire, etc), are they for completion once formal offer is made or should they be filled in online and left as attachments?

I filled in the two documents at "next stage" but wasn't sure about the actual attachments on the application? Many thanks in advance.
Original post by MurphysLaw2471
Quick question for those that have had their provisional offer following TSPCurrently at :

We're conducting some pre-employment checks before we make you a formal offer. We'll contact you when we have finished these."

What about the attachments (Character enquiry form, pension questionnaire, etc), are they for completion once formal offer is made or should they be filled in online and left as attachments?

I filled in the two documents at "next stage" but wasn't sure about the actual attachments on the application? Many thanks in advance.

Not sure. I had already all that done at interview but I may withdraw from the process because it seems the whole thing has been misleading. Asking for GCSE Maths Grade C when it appears you will actually be doing A Level Maths standard stuff . People need to be very sure about it before they commit!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 125
Not too worried. Civil service departments tend to have really detailed guides and guidance on their intranets. I currently work in Child Maintenance as an AO and it has some pretty advanced maths. Or you can use step-by-step instructions or calculation tools to help. I doubt HMRC will be much different in that regard.
Reply 126
Original post by kezxo
I'm based in Custom House atm then will be moving to regional centre in Belfast.

Can I ask what your role/grade is? :smile:
Original post by MikalM
Not too worried. Civil service departments tend to have really detailed guides and guidance on their intranets. I currently work in Child Maintenance as an AO and it has some pretty advanced maths. Or you can use step-by-step instructions or calculation tools to help. I doubt HMRC will be much different in that regard.

Yea it's my only concern to be honest. Like I can work out percentages percentage changes etc and I could probably get used to accounts reading data etc... It's things like formulae etc that's what might throw me if they are mind boggling. They won't give you time either regardless what they may say here. If you fail 2 exams/ learning checks you are out

Posted from TSR Mobile

As I hadn't had an interview, I got a phone call last Friday to go to Lisburn and fill these out along with taking copies and originals of passport, degree certificate ect ect too. They said they were trying to call everyone in 2 weeks so wait and see. It was from an 0300 number as well so answer it. I thought it was going to be another PPI call haha.
Original post by Cass1988
As I hadn't had an interview, I got a phone call last Friday to go to Lisburn and fill these out along with taking copies and originals of passport, degree certificate ect ect too. They said they were trying to call everyone in 2 weeks so wait and see. It was from an 0300 number as well so answer it. I thought it was going to be another PPI call haha.

Thanks Cass. I'm working near Lisburn next week, so fingers crossed. I'll follow your progress with interest then lol.
Reply 130
Original post by Jamz115
Yea it's my only concern to be honest. Like I can work out percentages percentage changes etc and I could probably get used to accounts reading data etc... It's things like formulae etc that's what might throw me if they are mind boggling. They won't give you time either regardless what they may say here. If you fail 2 exams/ learning checks you are out

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think the two strike policy is in effect anymore. I have a friend who left Child Maintenance Service for a HO post in HMRC in July and he said he arrived literally at the cut off point where they were introducing something like a Continuous Assessment rather than exams. Not sure if its the same for Officer roles though. Fingers crossed.
Original post by MikalM
I don't think the two strike policy is in effect anymore. I have a friend who left Child Maintenance Service for a HO post in HMRC in July and he said he arrived literally at the cut off point where they were introducing something like a Continuous Assessment rather than exams. Not sure if its the same for Officer roles though. Fingers crossed.

Yea Awk I sound negative don't get me wrong I really want to do this job. That would be good. Seems a bit draconian to have that sort of policy. As long as people are progressing and learning and improving over time for me that ought to the the most important thing. People should only ever be removed if they are completely out of their depth then obviously you would end someone's appointment before probation ends but that should apply to none of us as if you have A Levels and a lot of work experience behind you then it shouldn't be an issue

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 132
Original post by Jamz115

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not misleading at all. Any role in HMRC requires Maths. We are a department that use calculations on a daily basis. Even CHB has calculations on a daily basis. There are so amny tools to help you on the way.

The new roles are by continuous assessment and exams now but you still have to complete and pass the exams regardless. It will then be a decision with management if they feel you can prove and are proving that you can do the role. Tbh they give you so much study time and support there is no reason to be failing exams but it does happen. Then then give you advice, tell you where you were wrong and support you.

Jamz it's an EO role so it won't be as complex as a higher grade role. If you're prepared to put the work in then no reasons why you can't do it. Any calculations/formulae etc relating directly to your role will be given to you during training and you'll work on questions and answers etc in class.
Reply 133

I'd fill them in and email them to CSR anyway.
Reply 134
Original post by kezxo
It's not misleading at all. Any role in HMRC requires Maths. We are a department that use calculations on a daily basis. Even CHB has calculations on a daily basis. There are so amny tools to help you on the way.

The new roles are by continuous assessment and exams now but you still have to complete and pass the exams regardless. It will then be a decision with management if they feel you can prove and are proving that you can do the role. Tbh they give you so much study time and support there is no reason to be failing exams but it does happen. Then then give you advice, tell you where you were wrong and support you.

Jamz it's an EO role so it won't be as complex as a higher grade role. If you're prepared to put the work in then no reasons why you can't do it. Any calculations/formulae etc relating directly to your role will be given to you during training and you'll work on questions and answers etc in class.

Its reassuring to know that you will get lots of support and training. Kezxo can you advise what the typical training duration for one of these roles looks like? I.E 3 6 9 12 months? Also, how many exams are there roughly during this period and what format are they in? I.e written, report multiple choice etc.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by kezxo

Thanks for that. Well it is reassuring the way you put it. Like I can do maths calculations etc that's not an issue. Its just the way people talked about the 2 strikes and your out policy it seemed like there was an attitude of " here's what you have to do. Show us you can do it and if you can't do it twice then goodbye". That was sorta how it came across. I'm good at learning I'm also good a remembering things data etc .... If I'm learning with a pro like you it should be a piece of cake 😜

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone have a number or email for CSR?
Original post by kezxo
I'd fill them in and email them to CSR anyway.

Thanks for the advice. Would that be the e&crecruitmentsupportteam email or is there another for CSR?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by kezxo
The training differs per role and tax head. Typically at the moment there is 6 months training then support while training and being mentored in the role. Not sure what exams are being taken currently but mine were a mix of written and multiple choice. My training was longer as well as its now a different training course. There will be skills assessment as well.

Obviously all the areas are challenging but would I be right in saying VAT is the most challenging field to be in? That seems to the consensus from people

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 139
Original post by Jamz115
Obviously all the areas are challenging but would I be right in saying VAT is the most challenging field to be in? That seems to the consensus from people

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not necessarily. I've completed a lot of training VAT included and each tax has its own challenges it also depends on which part of the department you're working in and what cases you have and a million and one other things. I would say all our work can be challenging but again in different ways.

Latest

Trending

Trending