The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by simon_g
good.
in civilized countries, one does not cover their face in public unless they have something to hide.

This
Reply 41
How can you even eat with a niqab on?

Glad to see that some Germans are still able to stand against the Islamic invasion.
Reply 42
Original post by Iridocyclitis
So intolerant. Let her wear what she wants and practice her religion however she chooses. That's what makes us a great, liberal civilisation.

People cannot wear the clothes they want in Germany. The right to wear what you want in all circumstances has never existed. What you can wear is defined by social conventions and the law. If the majority think that some clothes promote an extremist ideology (something that is very sensitive in Germany), then they can be banned - as long as their ban respects the democratic process.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Viva Emptiness

So if I'm a KKK member, I guess I should be allowed to wear my lovely robes anywhere I like and people should put up with it. An extreme example sure, but certainly a set of beliefs held by some.

Except KKK members are not victims.

We are supposed to be outraged by Muslims wearing hajabs (or whatever they are called) because it oppresses women (totally not because we are racist or xenophobic). What better way to help these oppressed women than barring them from everything. That'll free them. I'm sure her patriarchal husband who makers her wear a bin liner will allow her to go out without wearing it. So... they can't got to beaches and restaurants now.

Your analogy would be better if the restaurant was banning blacks who were slaves to KKK members or something. That will show those slave owners a thing or two.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Josb
People cannot wear the clothes they want in Germany. The right to wear what you want in all circumstances has never existed.

But the right for religious people to wear what they want in accordance with their strongly held beliefs has.
So intolerant. Let her wear what she wants and practice her religion however she chooses. That's what makes us a great, liberal civilisation.

Is a civilisation still liberal if it permits illiberal things? Or if it forces business owners to serve customers they don't wish to serve? Besides, there's a difference between a private business asking someone to leave a restaurant and the government forbidding something from being worn in any public place. It is perfectly possible to practice a religion freely without eating in one particular burger restaurant.
Reply 46
how is the niqab still a thing idgi
every business owner has the right to decide who is to enter his private property and who isn't
just like this lady supposedly has the right to decide who sees her face and who doesn't
Reply 47
But the right for religious people to wear what they want in accordance with their strongly held beliefs has.

No. Religion cannot be a free pass. If the law requires everybody to show their face in public, then everybody has to submit. The law cannot specifically target a religion, that's all. Otherwise, we would have to accept any sectarian belief in the name of "religion".

Original post by ChaoticButterfly

We are supposed to be outraged by Muslims wearing hajabs (or whatever they are called) because it oppresses women (totally not because we are racist or xenophobic). What better way to help these oppressed women than barring them from everything. That'll free them. I'm sure her patriarchal husband who makers her wear a bin liner will allow her to go out without wearing it. So... they can't got to beaches and restaurants now.

Your analogy would be better if the restaurant was banning blacks who were slaves or something.

They cannot keep them secluded all year long. They have to let them go out for shopping -- it would be shameful for these men to do such a feminine activity.

And the women who wear these outfit keep claiming that they do it out of choice.
Original post by Josb
How can you even eat with a niqab on?

Spoiler

:rolleyes:
Reply 49
It's a non story business owner decides not to serve someone big deal.

People should ask themselves one question do they want to keep their freedom of what they can do or would they rather the government decides who they have to interact with and who they have to form legal relationships with?
Original post by ChaoticButterfly

Your analogy would be better if the restaurant was banning blacks who were slaves to KKK members or something. That will show those slave owners a thing or two.

The point is not who should be outraged by what, but should private property owners have the last say on who is in their establishments (again, for reasons other than race, sexuality, things you cannot choose etc.).

Further more it is frustrating that no one understands an analogy. The KKK example was simply my replacing another garment associated with a set of personal beliefs to illustrate how nonsensical that posters argument was. At the very least she should have been more specific about the parameters of when her rule should hold.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by admonit

Spoiler

:rolleyes:

Oh right, that's how they do it. Do they drape it over a table to eat a burger?
Original post by generallee
Have you ever seen anyone eat a burger in a Niqab? Have you ever seen anyone eating anything in a Niqab?

It is impossible. The material get in the way, you have to lift it up to get anything in your mouth.

Whenever I have been in a restaurant with someone wearing such clothing it has been discreetly removed to actually eat.

So the whole faux argument is utterly absurd in practical terms.

I have actually eaten a burger in a niqaab and its not rocket science. It looks difficult however if you know how then thats a bonus. And no I do not 'discreetly' remove my Niqaab to eat.
Original post by Josb
No. Religion cannot be a free pass. If the law requires everybody to show their face in public, then everybody has to submit. The law cannot specifically target a religion, that's all. Otherwise, we would have to accept any sectarian belief in the name of "religion".

They cannot keep them secluded all year long. They have to let them go out for shopping -- it would be shameful for these men to do such a feminine activity.

And the women who wear these outfit keep claiming that they do it out of choice.

Because we do it of our own free will is that wrong? Our men do not tell us nothing about how to dress and what to wear. Its the upbringing and environment we are brought up in.
Extremist Muslim walks into a beer garden (not it's not the opening to a joke or the opener to the next news report for the latest Islamist atrocity)

1) nothing they serve is halal and they cross cook beef with pork as Is usual in these types of places
2) It's a burger and a beer joint know as a beer garden

It seems someone wants there 5 mins of victimhood

I would hope those complaining about this are also angry that he refuses to serve Nazis when they arrive in their traditional dress

edit - just checked out the Facebook page and it's actually a beer garden :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 55
Surely going to a place that serves alcohol is proof that they aren't a 'true' Muslim after all that is what they say to defend Islam when someone commits acts of terror for the religion.
Original post by joecphillips
Surely going to a place that serves alcohol is proof that they aren't a 'true' Muslim after all that is what they say to defend Islam when someone commits acts of terror for the religion.

It does seem odd that one one tread they are saying this is the case but on this one it seems going to a beer garden (it wasn't a restaurant they are 2 different) where beer is prevalent pork is cooked with beef etc is perfectly normal and acceptable

As I said joe it seem someone want their 5 mins of victim hood
Original post by MiszShortee786
Our men do not tell us nothing about how to dress and what to wear.

Followed by

Original post by MiszShortee786
Its the upbringing and environment we are brought up in.

you couldn't make it up:biggrin:
Reply 58
Original post by samaad1
It's up to the individual just let everyone wear what they like her wearing a niqab shouldn't offend you and if it does then you need help if this was starting to become acceptable Nuns would remove their head coverings sikhs remove turbans jews their kippa it would just be impractical to impose restrictions on peoples religious freedom
The issue many people have isn't covering the head, it's covering the face.

Nobody gets asked to remove their hat in a restaurant (except possibly in some old-school establishments that enforce traditional etiquette). But they would be asked to remove a balaclava in most places.

And the nun's habit argument is a non sequitur. It is a uniform that they only wear on certain occasions. If a nun was going to a restaurant socially, she almost certainly wouldn't be wearing her habit.
Reply 59
Insisting on wearing a mask in someone else's place of business has nothing to do with the ability to practice a religion.

And if someone chooses to practice their Aztec religion by cutting out the heart of a willing sacrifice, should that be allowed?

Latest

Trending

Trending