The Student Room Group

New Research Confirms That Kids Get Their Intelligence From Their Mother

When it comes to your IQ, "I got it from my mama" couldn't be more accurate. New research featured in Psychology Spot says people are born with conditioned genes that work differently depending on if they're from your mother or father and when it comes to your intelligence, those genes are from mother dearest.

Even though people used to believe your smarts were from your father and mother, that's not the case. You see, intelligence genes are located on chromosome X and since women carry two, that means children are twice as likely to get their intelligence from mom.

And even if your father passes off a few of his intelligence genes to you, chances are they won't have an impact on your brain since they only work if they come from your mother. "If that same gene is inherited from the father, it is deactivated," reports the study in Psychology Spot. "Obviously, other genes work the opposite, are activated only if they come from the father."

Want even more proof? The Medical Research Council Social and Public Health Sciences Unit in the United States did a study on mothers back in 1994 and interviewed 12,686 young people between the ages of 14 and 22. Their questions focused on the children's IQ, race, education and socioeconomic status. The best predictor of intelligence? The IQ of their mother.

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/sex-love/a64075/intelligence-genes-come-from-your-mom/

insulting someone's mother is now legitimate.
Original post by HucktheForde
When it comes to your IQ, "I got it from my mama" couldn't be more accurate. New research featured in Psychology Spot says people are born with conditioned genes that work differently depending on if they're from your mother or father and when it comes to your intelligence, those genes are from mother dearest.

Even though people used to believe your smarts were from your father and mother, that's not the case. You see, intelligence genes are located on chromosome X and since women carry two, that means children are twice as likely to get their intelligence from mom.

And even if your father passes off a few of his intelligence genes to you, chances are they won't have an impact on your brain since they only work if they come from your mother. "If that same gene is inherited from the father, it is deactivated," reports the study in Psychology Spot. "Obviously, other genes work the opposite, are activated only if they come from the father."

Want even more proof? The Medical Research Council Social and Public Health Sciences Unit in the United States did a study on mothers back in 1994 and interviewed 12,686 young people between the ages of 14 and 22. Their questions focused on the children's IQ, race, education and socioeconomic status. The best predictor of intelligence? The IQ of their mother.

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/sex-love/a64075/intelligence-genes-come-from-your-mom/

insulting someone's mother is now legitimate.

I hope not.
the article talks about intelligence, but only shows that IQ is correlated

I don't think IQ represents intelligence very well
Reply 3
At first i found that quite interesting because mother is more intelligent than father and i'm extremely intelligent.

Unfortunately for this theory, i then remembered that my sister and brother are much less intelligent than either of us.
But Eve is created from Adam's rib, so his rib is more intelligence than him?!?! :rolleyes:
Reply 5
aww my children will be so lucky
Original post by HucktheForde

Want even more proof?

I'd prefer a better explanation of what they're claiming.

'Chances are' is really irritatingly vague.
Original post by ftw93
Explains why the offspring of single mothers are always retards

Have you got statistics for that statement, or is it just your prejudicial and ignorant view?
Original post by alevelstresss
the article talks about intelligence, but only shows that IQ is correlated

I don't think IQ represents intelligence very well

Agreed. You can train for IQ. But then you can train intelligence too. See Dweck. My own view is that intelligence is unquantifiable..
Reply 9
Original post by Seamus123
Have you got statistics for that statement

Sure, look at council estates
I am looking at a council estate - I live on one. My next door neighbour is a single parent and has brought up her daughter on her own. Said daughter got a 1st from Oxford.
And calling other people's children "retards" says more about you than it does about single parents and their children.
Still waiting on those statistics?
for **** sakes
"New Research Confirms That Kids Get Their Intelligence From Their Mother "

No, one proves that the best predictor of a child's IQ is the mother's IQ. The other one doesn't make any sense, wtf is an "intelligence gene"?
Original post by Retired_Messiah
"New Research Confirms That Kids Get Their Intelligence From Their Mother "

No, one proves that the best predictor of a child's IQ is the mother's IQ. The other one doesn't make any sense, wtf is an "intelligence gene"?

Apparently I repped you recently but yeah, I approve of this post

Posted from TSR Mobile
Send the parasites to sharashka in the gulags and make them suffer blood, sweat and tears. Dasvidaniya.
Original post by drandy76
Apparently I repped you recently but yeah, I approve of this post

There's something weird going on.

First, there is no new research here. The cited "study" is a blog post talking about imprinted genes. The most recent study in that blog is from 2012 and is not about imprinting. The most recent study that is from 2004 as far as I can tell.

The blog post refers to "conditioned genes". Never heard that term. I think they mean "imprinted genes".

There is some really interesting stuff about imprinted genes in brain development. See here for example; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imprinted_brain_theory

But I don't see where the claim that intelligence comes from the mother comes from.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending