The Student Room Group

The Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2017!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Hi All,

Does anyone seem to have an idea of what Herbert Smith Freehils alevel requirements are?

I can't seem to find any information on their website/other legal career websites other than a 2:1 requirement... Unless I'm not looking properly.

Thanks in advance.
Original post by xxblue
Hi All,

Does anyone seem to have an idea of what Herbert Smith Freehils alevel requirements are?

I can't seem to find any information on their website/other legal career websites other than a 2:1 requirement... Unless I'm not looking properly.

Thanks in advance.

They've removed them as I think they are moving towards a system where a levels will be one part rather than a set in stone requirement of the application.
Original post by xxblue
Hi All,

Thanks in advance.

I don't think there is an A-Level requirement :smile:*
Reply 83
Thanks everyone!!! Good luck with your applications!!!
Can anyone offer a hand on the 'why commercial law' question? It's the only one I have trouble articulating within 250 words :frown:
Bit of a long shot but is anybody willing to provide an example of a successful Jones day cover letter?

Not entirely sure if my letter is too short! Following a conversation with recruiters at the firm, short and punchy is encouraged.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 86
Original post by Fashgal
Bit of a long shot but is anybody willing to provide an example of a successful Jones day cover letter?

Not entirely sure if my letter is too short! Following a conversation with recruiters at the firm, short and punchy is encouraged.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They say max 300 words, so generally that's what we should be aiming for.

Original post by *Stefan*
Hey guys,One question re Jones Day - in the extra curricular activities section, would it be prudent to use bullet-points?It's only 100 words and I'm finding it considerably difficult to write a coherent text.

Anyone? :biggrin:
Reply 87
Original post by soph497
Hey, congrats on your offer! NRF is one of my top choices and I'll be applying for their winter vac in a few weeks. If I get to interview I may well pick your brains if that would be ok!

Yeah you're more than welcome!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 88
Original post by DOHHammie
Potentially stupid question:

Can I put down Open Days in the work experience section of applications?

I found an article in which an NRF grad recruiter says that Open Days do count as work experience, but it just doesn't feel right to me.

Cheers

To add to what has already been said regarding open days they are a great way to show a recruiter you really have thought about law.

I like to particularly detail a talk about an area of law that the firm gave that interested me and then back that up with some further evidence of independent research in that area.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by neal95
Just completed the BLP Verbal Analysis test, any ideas on how long they will take to tell me the outcome?

Hey, how did you find the BLP test? I'm sitting mine tonight.
Original post by FeminineEminem
Hey, how did you find the BLP test? I'm sitting mine tonight.

Hi, I felt it went well tbh and the format was much the same as the verbal analysis tests you can find online (free ones on saville consulting and another site, there was also an Australian site). Timing wise you should be okay and if you get most of the practice questions right I think you will be able to score well in it. Good luck!
Original post by neal95
Hi, I felt it went well tbh and the format was much the same as the verbal analysis tests you can find online (free ones on saville consulting and another site, there was also an Australian site). Timing wise you should be okay and if you get most of the practice questions right I think you will be able to score well in it. Good luck!

Haha I literally just finished about 30 seconds ago, but thanks anyway! I thought it was alright, it's a little annoying that they didn't give any indication as to how long it will be before we hear back (if we hear back at all), but oh well.
Haha I literally just finished about 30 seconds ago, but thanks anyway! I thought it was alright, it's a little annoying that they didn't give any indication as to how long it will be before we hear back (if we hear back at all), but oh well.

Yeah I know what you mean, I'm really anxious to hear back because it's for the winter vac scheme aswell and its only 3 months away! Hopefully by the middle to end of October they will get back to us, but my betting is on mid November being the most likely
Original post by neal95
Yeah I know what you mean, I'm really anxious to hear back because it's for the winter vac scheme aswell and its only 3 months away! Hopefully by the middle to end of October they will get back to us, but my betting is on mid November being the most likely

I hope it's not that late, I'd really like to secure something for winter as soon as possible. Anyway, good luck to you!
Reply 94
Original post by alexbev
Hey this might be a stupid question but I just got an email from Jones Day saying that they've requested an academic reference and will review my application and get back to me after receiving this. I was just wondering if this is a generic email that they send to everyone or whether they screen out people before sending this?

Thanks in advance!

They have screened before sending you that email.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Conzy210
Repped.

I also have secured a TC this year, with Slaughters, but I'll also be about on this thread if anyone has any questions. I also completed a Vacation Scheme at Linklaters, and turned down a scheme at Hogan Lovells. Much like the above poster I'm very grateful to users of TSR throughout the years, so would like to help if possible.

Hi everyone,

I think I'll be checking in on this forum fairly regularly - I graduated a few years ago and have been working since but am now looking to apply for either vac schemes or training contracts directly.

Conzy, would you be able to give any advice about your application to Linklaters? Would you mind if I messaged you?
Original post by alexbev
Hey this might be a stupid question but I just got an email from Jones Day saying that they've requested an academic reference and will review my application and get back to me after receiving this. I was just wondering if this is a generic email that they send to everyone or whether they screen out people before sending this?

Thanks in advance!

Can I ask when you sent your application in?
Just echoing dlaiden, Conzy and iano - last year's thread was super useful, so I'm happy to answer any questions you might have! I did vac schemes this summer at Clifford Chance and Pinsent Masons, got a TC offer from both, and I've chosen CC :smile:
Original post by worstusername
Just echoing dlaiden, Conzy and iano - last year's thread was super useful, so I'm happy to answer any questions you might have! I did vac schemes this summer at Clifford Chance and Pinsent Masons, got a TC offer from both, and I've chosen CC :smile:

Yaay, CC is awesome! Congrats :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 99
Can I ask when you sent your application in?

I think I sent it in on the 8th!*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending