The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jneill
Using STEP as prep for an engineering (or even maths) interview is overkill and would likely discourage most applicants.

http://i-want-to-study-engineering.org/ on the other hand is useful for engineering

Or MAT for maths applicants

Posted from TSR Mobile

I said "quick gander". I didn't know about it at the time. As some colleges may ask for it as part of their offer and others don't as part of engineering, it may be worth a look just to know what could be required? @Petehouse. Is it on a case by case basis whether to ask for STEP. For example based on modules studied if you think something is missing? It may be useful for future applicants? Thanks.
Original post by Someboady
...since Oxbridge base their offer on 4 all subjects?..

This simply isn't true so you're worrying for no reason. :smile:

Our typical offer for Computer Science is A*A*A with Maths essential for all routes. Computing can be useful - its presence/absence isn't considered in admissions decisions but some of the material covered can mean you have a slightly shallower learning curve here.

For CompSci with Maths you'd need FM too and we'd ask for at least 1,1 in STEP II and III as part of any offer

For CompSci with Natural Sciences you'd need at least one science to A level adn FM is advantageous

For CompSci 75% FM is advantageous

For CompSci with Social Psychology FM is advantageous
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 210555
I'm glad it worked out for you. Sounds like you had some serious studying to do last year, in awe! Thanks and good tip!, A quick gander at STEP1 might be useful prep for maths/ engineering applicants. Is STEP mentioned on the outreach programs? It may be useful as a quick tip to students? I hadn't heard of it at the time I applied, I suspect some schools don't mention it.

Original post by Zacken
It's a bit overboard/overkill, but trying a few questions out would definitely be helpful! I don't think it's mentioned on the outreach program since STEP is something you sit with your A2 exams (so is based largely on that content which most AS students won't have); it's basically Cambridge's (extremely tough) maths entrance exam because A-Levels aren't enough to differentiate students at that level. It'd be more advisable to ask students to have a look at the MAT instead, since that's focused at the proper level (AS content only) and is still very difficult, and perhaps more suited to interviews than STEP, although no definite word from me on that, I don't really know.

Thanks again! :smile:

Original post by jneill
Using STEP as prep for an engineering (or even maths) interview is overkill and would likely discourage most applicants.

http://i-want-to-study-engineering.org/ on the other hand is useful for engineering

Or MAT for maths applicants

Posted from TSR Mobile

We don't encourage STEP as preparatory material for Engineering candidates as it is too advanced. In some cases we include it in offer but then students are taking it at the end of year 13 with the whole of maths+fm under their belt.
Original post by 210555
I said "quick gander". I didn't know about it at the time. As some colleges may ask for it as part of their offer and others don't as part of engineering, it may be worth a look just to know what could be required? @Petehouse. Is it on a case by case basis whether to ask for STEP. For example based on modules studied if you think something is missing? It may be useful for future applicants? Thanks.

It is indeed on a case-by-case basis, largely influenced by performance at interview and in our College-set test rather than modules studied or grades achieved.
Original post by Fbiemad
Its hard to answer this, but does a college use similar type of interview question style they asked last year? (Example: for Economics if last year they asked 1 logical question, 1 maths, 1 statistics and 1 Economics article, would this year be the same standard of questions?)

Does Peterhouse use the same type of interview style as last year?

Just asking since I found the interview really easy last time, but due to the stress I had back then I was making silly but at the same time bad mistakes. Worth a shot to go for them again if the interview style will be easy?

We generally use the same interviewers and many have preferred styles of questions but nothing nearly so formulaic as you suggest. We don't even ask the exact same questions to all candidates - interviewers might start on the same or a similar question but then meander about differently depending on where the candidate takes things.
Original post by 210555
I said "quick gander". I didn't know about it at the time. As some colleges may ask for it as part of their offer and others don't as part of engineering, it may be worth a look just to know what could be required?

It's really only Christ's (normally) and Peterhouse (sometimes) that ask for STEP I for Engineering (http://www.admissions.eng.cam.ac.uk/guide/table3), and that would be sat at the end of the year when the applicant has completed C1-C4, etc. Even a "quick gander" at STEP can be rather daunting ...
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
Truthfully? Not much :smile: (we're much more interested in your A levels).

Thanks for the reassurance. :h::h:

Now I've just got to work hard for my A Levels!
Original post by Zacken
Would have minimal effect. They're standard GCSE's, wouldn't sway a decision either way. Might be seen as a slight positive if you're from a school who gets unusually crap results or from a bad neighborhood, but otherwise they're not much to think about at all.

I was mainly worried because I come from a school where there will be a lot of As and A*s floating around, but thank you for putting my mind at rest.
Banana :h::h:
It is indeed on a case-by-case basis, largely influenced by performance at interview and in our College-set test rather than modules studied or grades achieved.

Thanks, it's maybe useful info in advance for some students. Eg some schools encourage carrying on with 4A2 if doing Further Maths and A2 general studies ( can't say I prepped for that in honesty, ). So STEP on top of that maybe a lot? I don't know, but good to be aware of STEP in advance I think.
Original post by jneill
It's really only Christ's (normally) and Peterhouse (sometimes) that ask for STEP I for Engineering (http://www.admissions.eng.cam.ac.uk/guide/table3), and that would be sat at the end of the year when the applicant has completed C1-C4, etc. Even a "quick gander" at STEP can be rather daunting ...

Agreed. If I'd have known about it I probably would have chosen a different college to avoid it in all honesty! Forewarned is forearmed and all of that. No offence to Peterhouse. Intended here.
Original post by 210555
Thanks, it's maybe useful info in advance for some students. Eg some schools encourage carrying on with 4A2 if doing Further Maths and A2 general studies ( can't say I prepped for that in honesty, ). So STEP on top of that maybe a lot? I don't know, but good to be aware of STEP in advance I think.

Those information are on the university's and each college's websites.
University's
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/engineering

And here's peterhouse's.
https://www.pet.cam.ac.uk/engineering
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 210555

Original post by 210555
Agreed. If I'd have known about it I probably would have chosen a different college to avoid it in all honesty! Forewarned is forearmed and all of that. No offence to Peterhouse. Intended here.

Original post by vincrows
Those information are on the university's and each college's websites.
University's
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/engineering

And here's peterhouse's.
https://www.pet.cam.ac.uk/engineering

Agreed that forewarned is forearmed which is why we make it very clear on the various websites and have them up-to-date well in advance of applications opening. We expect candidates to do their own research and to be making an informed choice in applying.

Engineers who miss their STEP offerss but do well at A levels stand a good chance in the Summer Pool.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 210555

The info about the different college admissions procedures is on the engineering site, as per my link.
(edited 7 years ago)
Agreed that forewarned is forearmed which is why we make it very clear on the various websites. Engineers who miss their STEP offerss but do well at A levels stand a good chance in the Summer Pool.

I agree and as I say no offence intended. On the open day I just visited a few colleges where really the emphasis is on showing you the facilities as it should be, and then the department. The talk by Geoff Parks emphasised not to dwell on college choice as they are all pretty similar. I had no idea you kinda act independently within a university setting! So I didn't dwell on it and chose Peterhouse due to location and size. So at the time of application I hadn't looked at the college website. Why would I, I'd visited you and picked up the info there.

All I am saying is the more info out there the better and no offence intended. Many students, I am sure will be in the same position as me. Unless someone points these different requirements out to you, you won't know. Oxbridge is very unique in that respect. Thanks again.
I know I should be emailing colleges to ask this and I have emailed 4 already, but is there any Economics college (excluding the mature only and female only colleges, since im an 18 year old male) which doesnt like or take students with resits or those who are on gap year or something along these lines?

I know King's and Trinity are fine with it. So if by chance you know any colleges which reject people who are retaking one module, I would be thankful to know.

Thanks once again :smile:
Original post by Fbiemad
I know I should be emailing colleges to ask this and I have emailed 4 already, but is there any Economics college (excluding the mature only and female only colleges, since im an 18 year old male) which doesnt like or take students with resits or those who are on gap year or something along these lines?

I know King's and Trinity are fine with it. So if by chance you know any colleges which reject people who are retaking one module, I would be thankful to know.

No college would mind you're retaking one or two modules. They all understand anyone can have a bad day or two. :wink:
Original post by Fbiemad

That would be fine for us too. Realistically, no college is going to reject a candidate over some resits - I think this is a myth that's got a little out of control. Colleges might have different views on deferrred entry but not as clear-cut as in mathematics or engineering.
Ok thank you
Original post by 210555
I agree and as I say no offence intended. On the open day I just visited a few colleges where really the emphasis is on showing you the facilities as it should be, and then the department. The talk by Geoff Parks emphasised not to dwell on college choice as they are all pretty similar. I had no idea you kinda act independently within a university setting! So I didn't dwell on it and chose Peterhouse due to location and size. So at the time of application I hadn't looked at the college website. Why would I, I'd visited you and picked up the info there.

All I am saying is the more info out there the better and no offence intended. Many students, I am sure will be in the same position as me. Unless someone points these different requirements out to you, you won't know. Oxbridge is very unique in that respect. Thanks again.

You would because you are going to be spending 3 or 4 years there. When an estate agent shows you a property would you just buy it there and then without reading the contract, getting a survey done, asking neighbours about the location, etc etc. It's called due diligence.

All the course and college info is easily available for everyone to read - it's not hidden away.

And yes colleges *are* more similar than they are different but that doesn't mean there aren't any differences at all. Accommodation costs are different, locations are different, sizes are different...

And also all this is regularly discussed here on TSR. Another reason why TSR is a good resource, especially when it has the active support of the ATs.
Dear Peterhouse, I am a post A2 prospective student contemplating applying for Economics for 2017 entry, in my A2s I recieved A*A*A* in Maths, Physics and History. However, due to the lack of Further Maths. Would it be substantially harder to get an offer in spite of good A2 grades? And would taking some maths modules in the Holidays increase my chances of an offer? (I should mention that my school did offer FM, but I did not take it in Y12 as I did not feel interested enough in mathematics at the time, although that has changed)

On another note, I also have somewhat weak GCSE grades (4A* 2A 2B 1C). So again, despite my recent results being far better would these results massively reduce my chances of an offer?
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending