The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MiszShortee786
I have actually eaten a burger in a niqaab and its not rocket science. It looks difficult however if you know how then thats a bonus. And no I do not 'discreetly' remove my Niqaab to eat.

Good for you :biggrin:

How do you do it, out of interest? Do you cut off little bits and put them under each time? In which case surely there is a risk that men might catch a glimpse of your teeth as you lift and put the food in? Or do you put the whole burger under, with your veil over the hands?

I have seen niqab removed twice to eat. In both cases the women were Arabs. Once in a restaurant on the Edgware Road when I noticed a middle aged couple at the next table and vaguely wondered how she would eat. The next time I looked up she was chomping away with the veil to one side,in a very unconcerned way.. She was far from a babe, anyway, so seeing her face hardly filled me with lustful thoughts. and it was clearly easier to eat whatever your protestations to the contrary.

The other time was at a hotel breakfast in Abu Dhabi. This was a young couple and I saw the wife whisper to her husband (dressed in a totally western way) and there was a nod from him. She then discreetly removed the veil to eat.

She had had to ask permission so you are kidding yourself (or being disingenuous) when you claim that it is always the woman's choice. It obviously isn't.
Original post by BaconandSauce
so we are all animals and it's just us unbelievers who are the vilest of them?

If youd like to think so go ahead and think that
Reply 102
Original post by QE2
So you'd be happy for me to walk around the prayer room in your local mosque with my shoes on?

The same people said that Charlie Hebdo cartoonists shouldn't have "provoked" Muslims.

Many Muslims ask other people to stop offending them, but they don't see that their practices also cause offense.
Original post by Iridocyclitis
So intolerant. Let her wear what she wants and practice her religion however she chooses. That's what makes us a great, liberal civilisation.

Yes because Iran and Saudia Arabia are so tolerant to what the westerner wears when they go over there
Meh...I find it hard to get worked up about to be honest. Especially as in many areas of many Muslim countries a woman entering a restaurant in shorts with a skimpy top showing her arms would be lucky to get away with being spat on and physically kicked out, so if anything she's up on the deal.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 105
Of course we do. However it is mainly due to the fact that other males who we are not allowed to marry will see us therefore leading to sin.

How they will "sin" exactly?
If youd like to think so go ahead and think that

Think what? that we are all animals or the vilest are disbelievers?

Surely the vilest of animals in Allah's sight are those who disbelieve - Quran 8:55

your reply is unclear
Reply 108
Original post by Inzamam99
A Jew could easily be hiding an illegal Israeli cluster bomb in his religious dress na?
WTF are you on about?
Reply 109
Well apparently science has proven that we evolved from animals?
Biologically, we still are animals, but we both know the difference between the two uses of the word, so rather than deflecting, why don't you respond to my actual point.

You claimed that the Quran didn't refer to me as an "animal" (or "beast" or "creature", depending on the translation. And the "vilest" or "worst" of them, to be accurate).
I proved that it does.
Do you think the Quran is right or wrong?
Original post by alexschmalex
People who get offended by a piece of cloth on someone else's head need to re-evaluate their lives, it's honestly a meaningless thing.

There is nothing meaningless about world-wide relegation of women to pets because a book says so. People like you who try and down-play how barbaric and backwards this issue is, are part of the problem.

It's not a matter of being "offended", it's a matter of not tolerating encroachment on western values.
Original post by Josb
How they will "sin" exactly?

Original post by QE2
WTF are you on about?

May be he means that Jewish religious dress is less secure than niqab. May be he also thinks that this is sort of humor..
Original post by 1010marina
Why do you think religious dress is so important? Why is anybody else's hobby, eg cycling or motorbiking, less important than yours?

Umm. When did I say either of those two things? I actually said it's NOT important or a big deal that she had one on and people should find something else to be triggered by and moan about.
Original post by macromicro
There is nothing meaningless about world-wide relegation of women to pets because a book says so. People like you who try and down-play how barbaric and backwards this issue is, are part of the problem.

It's not a matter of being "offended", it's a matter of not tolerating encroachment on western values.

I already said I don't agree with it in any way, I just think it's hypocritical to victimize the perceived victim. If you honestly believed she has had so much of her dignity taken from her, what good would it do to ostracize her even further and make her feel even more worthless? I honestly don't see how that would benefit either side (unless you have an actual answer) She wasn't kicked out because some good Samaritan was angry at her oppression, she was kicked out because of an irrational fear, that's what I have an issue with
Umm. When did I say either of those two things? I actually said it's NOT important or a big deal that she had one on and people should find something else to be triggered by and moan about.

Your earlier argument was that there's a big difference between covering your face for these reasons and for religious reasons, because balaclavas are only used for crime.

If you're saying that balaclavas, motorcycle helmets, and those funky buff cycle masks are a security risk in public because robbers wear them too, then you gotta concede that burkas and niqabs are also a security risk because some people use them for terror. If not, you are placing religion on a pedestal.

I think if you are comfortable standing next to somebody wearing a niqab in public you shouldn't be able to tell anybody else not to cover their face.

I for one don't want to be in a bank with a man wearing a motorcycle helmet, just in case he is an armed robber... The niqab poses the exact same security risk... Not banning it when motorcycle helmets are banned is ludicrous
I already said I don't agree with it in any way, I just think it's hypocritical to victimize the perceived victim. If you honestly believed she has had so much of her dignity taken from her, what good would it do to ostracize her even further and make her feel even more worthless?

It will do far more good than allowing her (and others) to think the west is accepting of such a heinous practice. What about the below picture says "dignity" to you?

She wasn't kicked out because some good Samaritan was angry at her oppression, she was kicked out because of an irrational fear, that's what I have an issue with

How on earth do you know? It's interesting how you immediately resort to labelling it an "irrational fear", more commonly known as "Islamophobia" - the very word that has done endless damage to the process of reforming Islam and acknowledging the massive threat of its current form. All the so-called "Islamophobia" in the past two decades has proven to be entirely rational and well-evidenced, including views against Islamic headwear.
The fact you couldn't understand sarcasm shows your level of intelligence

Hahaha, don't even try and play it off as if you were being sarcastic.
Original post by macromicro

Looks like someone has been triggered.
Original post by Light Venom
I remember walking into the shop with my helmet on and fully covered clothes with gloves and no one said anything ;D. My visor was fully tinted.

Shop =/= restaurant. I've never heard of a shop having a dress code, and if there is one somewhere, then that is pretty unusual.

Latest

Trending

Trending