The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dwightkurtshrute
Hey guys!
The average preliminary scores this year seem fairly similar to last year, if slightly higher.
My current stats are:
GCSE: 9A*s,A,B
AS level: AAAA
Predicted A2: A*A*A
UKCAT: total:2110 VR 740 AR 720 QR 650 AVG 703.33 band 2

Hoping to apply to glasgow, manchester and birmingham? Could i just get some quick advice about if i am high enough above the average to stand a chance for this year in these (or other) unis?? Any help appreciated!

No sorry, probably not, better luck next time :smile:
Original post by (----{M}---- )
Hi Guys*

So I got a low UKCAT score of 586.6
I have a 2.1 in Biochemistry with ABB

any ideas on what unis would be best to apply to?

also considering doing the bmat*

any input would be extremely helpful*

I would really recommend doing the bmat and applying to universities that don't need or weigh ukcat that heavily.
How do you quote/or mention books in a personal statement????
Original post by dwightkurtshrute
Hey guys!
The average preliminary scores this year seem fairly similar to last year, if slightly higher.
My current stats are:
GCSE: 9A*s,A,B
AS level: AAAA
Predicted A2: A*A*A
UKCAT: total:2110 VR 740 AR 720 QR 650 AVG 703.33 band 2

Hoping to apply to glasgow, manchester and birmingham? Could i just get some quick advice about if i am high enough above the average to stand a chance for this year in these (or other) unis?? Any help appreciated!

that is perfect mate!! Congratz btw. I'm hoping to apply to Manchester as well. have my UKCAT today. hopfully get average 700 plus if God wills it.
Is medify representative of the real thing or is it harder?
Original post by KB_97
Is medify representative of the real thing or is it harder?

I think the types of questions and their difficulty are pretty similar but I'm pretty sure their marking system in mock tests are harsher than the one that's used in the actual exam

Posted from TSR Mobile
anyone got any tips for VR other than skim/scan? keep getting 500-550 under timed conditions as i miss half of it out :/. Also are the actual passages easier or harder than medify ones?
Just did my UKCAT 690 average.
VR - difficult as everyone says simply because the paragraphs are quite long.
QR - way easier than any of the mocks, mostly involving simple calculations
AR - in my case it was easier than the mocks, I got quite a few type 2 and 3 questions.
SJ - same standard

I really want to apply to Newcastle, Barts and Manchester. Do you think my score will make the cut? Thanks and good luck to those who haven't done their test yet 😊
Original post by (----{M}---- )
Hi Guys*

So I got a low UKCAT score of 586.6
I have a 2.1 in Biochemistry with ABB

any ideas on what unis would be best to apply to?

also considering doing the bmat*

any input would be extremely helpful*

Hey there,

Hmm, you should consider doing the BMAT, as this will certainly help to boost your chances of getting an interview if you do well.

Regarding your UKCAT score, there are a few universities that you can still apply to. For instance, at Birmingham the UKCAT only makes up 30% of the selection process.

Bristol only assign 10% of the admissions selection process to UKCAT, the rest is academics (20%) and personal statement (70%).

You can read about more universities to apply to in this free blog:
Where to apply with a low UKCAT score

Also, if you want to see just how your UKCAT result might compare with others, the official UKCAT website has published the interim UKCAT average scores. You can see a full breakdown in this free blog:
interim UKCAT average scores for 2017 entry

Hope you find the above useful, and good luck with your application!
The Medic Portal
(edited 7 years ago)
Guys I did my mock and for SJT I got 41 correct, 13 partially correct and 15 wrong. What band would this come under?
AAAGGHHH, 633 UKCAT Band 3, now I'm really frustrated!!!!! :angry::angry:. But life's not really over, I'm sure that there's more to come so in the mean while I'll try and be happy :bigsmile::bigsmile:.
Is the UKCAT calculator on the day backspace or esc to delete? People are saying different things.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Niraxas
Guys I did my mock and for SJT I got 41 correct, 13 partially correct and 15 wrong. What band would this come under?

Band 2 I think. I don't say band 1 is anything above 50-52 raw marks (without partial correct)
Hey, just out of interest to the people who have done the test,

what question did you get up to in VR before time ran out? I know there are 44 questions altogether and I'm aiming to get up to question 38/39 (at least) but I was just wondering how far people got in the real thing?

Thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by lahigueraxxx
Hey, just out of interest to the people who have done the test,

what question did you get up to in VR before time ran out? I know there are 44 questions altogether and I'm aiming to get up to question 38/39 (at least) but I was just wondering how far people got in the real thing?

Thanks in advance :smile:

Hi there I'd suggest keeping track of time and making sure you answer all of them even if you have to guess a few at the end. That's what I did :smile:
Original post by kayasparkles
Hi there I'd suggest keeping track of time and making sure you answer all of them even if you have to guess a few at the end. That's what I did :smile:

Okay cool - thank you! :smile: (and well done on your score!)
Original post by Niraxas

Band 2

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys! I did my UKCAT this morning and I got
VR-550
QR-790
AR-620
SJ-Band 1
Do you think I still have a chance for HYMS and Dundee? Also any unis I should avoid?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, I got 627 (not what I wanted:frown:) average and Band 1.
AS results: AAAB
Predicted probably A*AA
I just wanted to ask what sort of chance I have for Kings, Barts, St Georges etc. Does the band 1 sort of make up for the low average in some way. Or is it a no way thing? And if anyone knows what UKCAT scores they accept plssss
Can someone post the link for the interim results? I cant find it. Also anyone else think the questions are getting harder now comparing recent scores to those about a week back? :frown: mine is in a few days and this is kinda scary

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending