The Student Room Group

What is your least favourite newspaper?

Poll

Which is your least favourite news site or paper?

What is your least favourite newspaper?

Scroll to see replies

Express.

They always make up lies about the weather.*
I think the Mail doesn't really know what it is, but the Independent is just out of control. In the last few years it's just jumping any lefty bandwagon regardless of how nonsensical
The Guardian.
Reply 4
Original post by Trinculo
I think the Mail doesn't really know what it is, but the Independent is just out of control. In the last few years it's just jumping any lefty bandwagon regardless of how nonsensical

The Independent is really terrible these days. Online it feels like a messy, unreliable clickbait site. I actually prefer The Grauniad; at least its a decent source.
Reply 5
I mean you can't get lower than The Sun. Ok, some lefty newspapers jump on ridiculous issues and keep flogging them when they're already dead. Right wing newspapers subtly stir up hatred and distrust. All of them create divisions one way or the other.

But The Sun is a whole other level - it doesn't even pretend to be a nice paper like the Mail does. I mean Hillsborough, come on, things like that are unforgivable no matter what your politics are... probably The Sun is only second to News of the World, although there was never much difference between the two.

I instantly judge someone if I see them reading The Sun and I like to think I'm a fairly open minded person.
Reply 6
Any tabloid.
Reply 7
Original post by abc:)
I mean you can't get lower than The Sun. Ok, some lefty newspapers jump on ridiculous issues and keep flogging them when they're already dead. Right wing newspapers subtly stir up hatred and distrust. All of them create divisions one way or the other.

But The Sun is a whole other level - it doesn't even pretend to be a nice paper like the Mail does. I mean Hillsborough, come on, things like that are unforgivable no matter what your politics are... probably The Sun is only second to News of the World, although there was never much difference between the two.

I instantly judge someone if I see them reading The Sun and I like to think I'm a fairly open minded person.

The Hillsborough thing was obviously utterly horrible, but I'm not sure I can think of anything they've done recently which is really bad.
The Huffpost and the Independent both typify the regressive left. I would struggle to choose between them. The Guardian is not far off either
Reply 9
Original post by KingBradly
The Hillsborough thing was obviously utterly horrible, but I'm not sure I can think of anything they've done recently which is really bad.

Hmmmm well firstly like I said I think that's pretty unforgivable, and also I don't read it so I don't know what exact stories they are running at the moment, but a quick Google just now suggests pretty pointless stories (apparently an angel was spotted at the World Trade Centre memorial, and The Sun has photos) - and a lot of bad grammar and typos. So kind of the same level as the Daily Mail. Except the Daily Mail doesn't have the same history as The Sun, so The Sun still gets my vote.

I still read the Guardian for lack of a better alternative. I also like BBC but find it has a lack of analysis because of the need to remain so impartial. The Guardian can have some ridiculously middle-class-hippy-lefty stories, but also it had an article yesterday highlighting the stupidity of some 'cultural appropriation' claims and also doesn't seem to like Jeremy Corbyn very much. So as a centre-lefty it's what I tend to read the most - I just avoid certain contributors.

Edit - Actually I just remembered that homophobic Jan Moir article in the Daily Mail. There was a transphobic article in The Guardian once too, which wouldn't have looked out of place in a tabloid paper. Oh god. They're all terrible.
Breitbart, the home of the degenerate right, Or the Express, which is just a more shrill version of the Mail.

The Sport is my favourite for its cutting edge original journalism....

(edited 7 years ago)
The hysterical crybabies at Breitbart.
I hate most of the popular newspapers almost equally, I hate the Sun and Daily Mail the most (I would've said Breitbart but it doesn't publish papers near me). It's full of mostly irrelevant stuff (i.e. celebrity, sports) with some political stuff too which is also useless because it's so heavily tainted with right wing/Tory bias. I also hate The Guardian to a lesser extent, they do have their liberal/left wing bias but it doesn't totally render their commentaries useless.

If there's a paper or news outlet I'd like, it's one where it's more impartial, if not at least has a mish mash of Tories, Labours, left v right all duking it out on each other (with civility of course) in the paper so you actually get a broad spectrum of beliefs and ideas and come to a conclusion yourself.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by MasterJack
I hate most of the popular newspapers almost equally, I hate the Sun and Daily Mail the most (I would've said Breitbart but it doesn't publish papers near me). It's full of mostly irrelevant stuff (i.e. celebrity, sports) with some political stuff too which is also useless because it's so heavily tainted with right wing/Tory bias. I also hate The Guardian to a lesser extent, they do have their liberal/left wing bias but it doesn't totally render their commentaries useless.

If there's a paper or news outlet I'd like, it's one where it's more impartial, if not at least has a mish mash of Tories, Labours, left v right all duking it out on each other (with civility of course) in the paper so you actually get a broad spectrum of beliefs and ideas and come to a conclusion yourself.

Try Reuters or the FT, both are very impartial.
A lot of people saying (unsuprisingly) the Guardian/Independant/Huff Post but regardless of their politics you have to at least accept they do have some actual journalistic content.

Compare that to some of the tabloids, the Express, the Sun and the Mirror are ones I have noticed particularly seem to be more of an excercise in squezzing as much tits and add space around ever shrinking levels of actual content. To call what they do journalsim seems to be pretty insulting to me.
I used to read The Sun when I was a teenager. You have to admit some of their headlines over the years, "Up Yours Delors", and "Freddy Starr Ate My Hamster" have become pretty iconic now. I know that all ,and I mean all Social Workers read The Guardian. Their jobs section each day is great. But I hate papers like Sunday Sport, Sunday People,etc. They are just rags.
Original post by mojojojo101
A lot of people saying (unsuprisingly) the Guardian/Independant/Huff Post but regardless of their politics you have to at least accept they do have some actual journalistic content.

Compare that to some of the tabloids, the Express, the Sun and the Mirror are ones I have noticed particularly seem to be more of an excercise in squezzing as much tits and add space around ever shrinking levels of actual content. To call what they do journalsim seems to be pretty insulting to me.

Agree. The irony is, to get a job as a journalist at one of these places I would imagine is incredibly competititve and I would guess you'd have to be brilliant to be given a job with ANY daily national paper.
The 'enlightened' red-pill fash at Breitbart.

Believe those who are seeking truth, doubt those who find it. ~André Gide.
Reply 18
Original post by markova21
I used to read The Sun when I was a teenager. You have to admit some of their headlines over the years, "Up Yours Delors", and "Freddy Starr Ate My Hamster" have become pretty iconic now. I know that all ,and I mean all Social Workers read The Guardian. Their jobs section each day is great. But I hate papers like Sunday Sport, Sunday People,etc. They are just rags.

The Sunday Sport is hilarious, I love it. It's like a parody rag. I think it may actually supposed to be.
Original post by mojojojo101

Agreed. I don't agree with a lot of the political stances of The Times or The Telegraph. However I recognise they are worth reading as they take journalism seriously.

And it's always good to read erudite and thoughtful opinions that you disagree with.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending