The Student Room Group

What drinks do you order at the bar?

I've never been in a bar before and I'm going to university so I'd imagine it's quite common. Can anyone recommend me what to order to drink? I dont drink very often so I don't really know the brands of alcohol or anything like that.

Scroll to see replies

Water
Reply 2
I always order a JD and coke :smile:
Uno Pepsi Max
Stirred not shaken
Approximately 0.99999999 pints
Exactly 9 ice cubes
OH AND DON'T FORGET THE UMBRELLA THINGY
Reply 4
They have the names of the drinks right there..drinks like carlsberg and carling are fairly inoffensive and common. I like Guinness (preferably not draught.)
Reply 5
TSR has a little guide ting for the wannabe pissheads:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=16021-alcohol-guide-for-freshers

I'm a whisky fella, myself.
JD/Vodka and Coke/Redbull is a fairly common and cheap drink in most places. If you're looking for shots, most uni's do Sourz shots for like £1, they're not strong but they taste nice. Or you can get tequila shots which are usually fun to do with friends. There's different types of ciders, beers and alcopops in the fridge behind the bar which you can usually see so just ask for one of those.
Just order whatever you fancy. You don't always have to name a brand. You could get a spirit and a mixer, a pint of lager or cider, a glass of wine etc. If you don't drink much, you could always just get a single vodka and coke or something and go from there. It's a pretty simple choice if you don't know what you like
in a bar, it all depends on if I am eating a meal and at what point of the day but my go to drink is a bulliet and coke or I might reach to a southern comfort and coke or if I'm feeling healthy then it a Scarlett O'Hara
but if I'm eating then I'll go for a Manhatten, negroni or a martini at first then work through other measures as it goes on
Rum and Coke. :h:
Original post by grassntai
I've never been in a bar before and I'm going to university so I'd imagine it's quite common. Can anyone recommend me what to order to drink? I dont drink very often so I don't really know the brands of alcohol or anything like that.

Easiest thing to do if you don't know any brands, and are new to drinking, is to go for a 'house' mixed drink, which essentially means you get a shot of generic brand of alcohol mixed with a soft drink. This will be something like "rum and coke", "Vodka and coke", "Vodka and cranberry", "peach schnapps and lemonade" etc, and you literally just ask for the alcohol you want with the soft drink of your choice.

If you want something a bit stronger, just ask for a double, which would mean you say the same thing, but just "double vodka and coke" etc.

If you're completely new to drinking I wouldn't recommend doing straight shots just yet, but when you want to, you just ask for the number of shots and the alcohol type, eg, "3 shots of tequila".

If you do want to try brands, personally I like Desperados (tequila flavoured beer), Archers (peach schnapps), and Bulmers (cider)
(edited 7 years ago)
Don't not drink much and want to know what to order?
Jagerbombs :wink:
My usual fallback is a vodka and coke or rum and coke (Captain Morgans or Bacardi).

However, lately I order a Southern Comfort and lemonade as I don't go out too often anymore. So when I do I like something I don't usually have in the house!*
Absinthe. Get absinthe
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
They have the names of the drinks right there..drinks like carlsberg and carling are fairly inoffensive and common. I like Guinness (preferably not draught.)

So you don't like Guinness then? :lol: or are you trying to say you prefer Guinness Extra Cold or it out of a can?

Original post by Davalla
TSR has a little guide ting for the wannabe pissheads:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=16021-alcohol-guide-for-freshers

I'm a whisky fella, myself.

I had to stop after the first few para's.... pubs the cheapest option? :lol: feck that, they're the most expensive! You local SU and most bars and clubs prior to the late night ones are dirt cheap!

Doesn't also help when they get their beer definition wrong... bitter doesn't equal pale ales for ****s sake! :facepalm2:
(edited 7 years ago)
305473-J2O-4x275ml-Orange--Passion-Fruit-Juice-Drink-3.jpg
Reply 16
Original post by DanB1991
So you don't like Guinness then? :lol: or are you trying to say you prefer Guinness Extra Cold or it out of a can?

I like them both, but I prefer the "original" version.
I normally order either Magners cider or vodka & orange.
"I've never been in a bar before and I'm going to university so I'd imagine it's quite common. "

Jesus Christ.

Always gin for me, it's the classiest old lady drink around.
I like:
-vodka and coke
-southern comfort, blackcurrant and lemonade
-purple rain (nicest by far)

Quick Reply

Latest