The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Galactacore
On another note, I also have somewhat weak GCSE grades (4A* 2A 2B 1C). So again, despite my recent results being far better would these results massively reduce my chances of an offer?

Dunno about your former question, will let Peterhouse step in for that - but for this:

1. Those are good GCSE's not weak ones.

2. They won't affect your chances of an offer at all, Cambridge like to see an upward academic trajectory from GCSE to AS to A2, so given that you've started from okay/good GCSE's and gotten even better A2's, it's only going to work in your favor.

You've got a good shot.
Original post by Galactacore
Dear Peterhouse, I am a post A2 prospective student contemplating applying for Economics for 2017 entry, in my A2s I recieved A*A*A* in Maths, Physics and History. However, due to the lack of Further Maths. Would it be substantially harder to get an offer in spite of good A2 grades? And would taking some maths modules in the Holidays increase my chances of an offer? (I should mention that my school did offer FM, but I did not take it in Y12 as I did not feel interested enough in mathematics at the time, although that has changed)

On another note, I also have somewhat weak GCSE grades (4A* 2A 2B 1C). So again, despite my recent results being far better would these results massively reduce my chances of an offer?

Hi, thanks for asking. The typical offer for Economics is A*A*A with Maths essential so you've met the essential requirements. We do consider both FM and Economics as advantageous and many applicants have one or both of these. That said, the more maths above the A level the better! so extra modules are a good idea. Your profile isn't the absolute strongest possible in terms of the subjects taken but A*A*A* achieved is strong and you would be a competitve candidate.

Don't worry about your GCSEs - we're much more interested in A levels and your profile suggests a candidate on an upward trajectory and coping very well with more advanced material.
Hello again Peterhouse,

For my course (Asian and Middle Eastern Studies) I have to submit an example of school work. Would an essay I wrote for an essay competition suffice? Subject wise it's a lot more relevant than any of my school work, being about Japanese literature. I've also mentioned it in my personal statement.

Thanks for the help in the rest of the thread by the way, it's been a great read. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Steliata
Hello again Peterhouse,

For my course (Asian and Middle Eastern Studies) I have to submit an example of school work. Would an essay I wrote for an essay competition suffice? Subject wise it's a lot more relevant than any of my school work, being about Japanese literature. I've also mentioned it in my personal statement.

Thanks for the help in the rest of the thread by the way, it's been a great read. :smile:

That's a difficult question. Are you applying here? When did you write the essay for the competition? How long is it?
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
That's a difficult question. Are you applying here? When did you write the essay for the competition? How long is it?

I'm applying to Peterhouse, I wrote it in February 2016 and it's 1635 words including references :smile:
Hello again Peterhouse,

I'm applying to Peterhouse, I wrote it in February 2016 and it's 1635 words including references :smile:

I think that is your call as to what is best. February is a few months ago and we might want to see something more recent and, ideally, marked by a teacher. Few applicants have relevant essays for AMES so we don't expect essays on the subject, just on something literary. On the other hand, if you think that this is the piece which best demonstrates your interest and is about a topic you're really interested in then this might be best. At Peterhouse* we don't use submitted written work as part of our decision on who to invite for interview, it is mainly used as a prompt for discussion in the interviews.

*Other Colleges do use written work as part of their decisions on who to interview.
I think that is your call as to what is best. February is a few months ago and we might want to see something more recent and, ideally, marked by a teacher. Few applicants have relevant essays for AMES so we don't expect essays on the subject, just on something literary. On the other hand, if you think that this is the piece which best demonstrates your interest and is about a topic you're really interested in then this might be best. At Peterhouse* we don't use submitted written work as part of our decision on who to invite for interview, it is mainly used as a prompt for discussion in the interviews.

*Other Colleges do use written work as part of their decisions on who to interview.

Hi there, thanks for the reply. I don't do English Lit or History so I think it would be the best call in terms of something literary, unless you'd like something from English Language (although I haven't done an essay for that since May as we've been doing coursework instead). I'll have a chat with my UCAS advisor about it next week.

To be honest it would be fun to discuss that essay at interview, it was quite enjoyable to write!
Original post by jneill
It's really only Christ's (normally) and Peterhouse (sometimes) that ask for STEP I for Engineering (http://www.admissions.eng.cam.ac.uk/guide/table3), and that would be sat at the end of the year when the applicant has completed C1-C4, etc. Even a "quick gander" at STEP can be rather daunting ...

can confirm - was very daunted by my quick gander at STEP 1 lol
Reply 428
When do essays need to be submitted by please for History? Is it 3 November?
Original post by jneill
You would because you are going to be spending 3 or 4 years there. When an estate agent shows you a property would you just buy it there and then without reading the contract, getting a survey done, asking neighbours about the location, etc etc. It's called due diligence.

All the course and college info is easily available for everyone to read - it's not hidden away.

And yes colleges *are* more similar than they are different but that doesn't mean there aren't any differences at all. Accommodation costs are different, locations are different, sizes are different...

And also all this is regularly discussed here on TSR. Another reason why TSR is a good resource, especially when it has the active support of the ATs.

Apologies to Peterhouse for the hijack. I''m pretty sure there are unsavvy people out there just I as was. Absolutely it is on the website about the different admissions processes when you look, no argument there. But if you are looking at colleges as I was from an accommodation/location/where would I like to live point of view you get loads and loads of info on the day to take away with you. (Brochures/prices/courses etc) You also talk to students when you are there. So one might not feel the need to go on college websites at that point because one has all that information, that's all I'm saying. Your point about due diligence is rather harsh.

I looked at the engineering department website TBH re the course entry requirements as I would any university. I only found TSR once I had an interview and I googled Cambridge interviews.

All I am saying is the more info out there the better, there will be many who don't appreciate the Oxbridge system and that it is not like other university applications. Oxbridge may not have been on their radar until someone encouraged them to apply (as in my case). Honestly true. As I say the more info out there the better.Thanks and apologies again to Peterhouse for the hijack.
Original post by 210555
All I am saying is the more info out there the better, there will be many who don't appreciate the Oxbridge system and that it is not like other university applications. Oxbridge may not have been on their radar until someone encouraged them to apply (as in my case). Honestly true. As I say the more info out there the better.Thanks and apologies again to Peterhouse for the hijack.

Yes the Oxbridge admissions process *is* different, no disputing that at all. But because of that, there already is *plenty* of information out there. It's not even a case of "knowing where to look". It's all on the college sites, or the departmental pages. Things can always be improved, made easier to find (accomodation costs are a particular bug bear for me :wink: ), or clearer, but tbh Cambridge really does a pretty good job aready. Anyway, let's leave it to Peterhouse to continue with their thread...

:wink:
Hi, thanks for asking.

For Medicine, we won't be interested in your scores (good or bad) in Latin. You;d be better off focusing on your sciences. I'm sorry to hear of your problems, this is exactly the sort of thing that the Extenuating Circumstances Form is for. Our use of contextual information about candidates and their schools is to allow us to properly assess candidates who have suffered disadvantage, not to discriminate against those that haven't.

Thank you for the reply. Upon further consideration, I have decided not to resit any units and to just focus on my A2 exams and score highly in these modules. Will this decision affect me in any way? Are there any particular modules in maths that are important for medicine? Will applying post A-level give me an advantage in any way despite this, since I will have actual grades compared to another applicant with the same grades, but whose results are predicted?
(edited 7 years ago)
This simply isn't true so you're worrying for no reason. :smile:

Our typical offer for Computer Science is A*A*A with Maths essential for all routes. Computing can be useful - its presence/absence isn't considered in admissions decisions but some of the material covered can mean you have a slightly shallower learning curve here.

For CompSci with Maths you'd need FM too and we'd ask for at least 1,1 in STEP II and III as part of any offer

For CompSci with Natural Sciences you'd need at least one science to A level adn FM is advantageous

For CompSci 75% FM is advantageous

For CompSci with Social Psychology FM is advantageous

How common or likely is it that a Comp Sci w/ Math offer holder would be allowed to pursue one of the other options/combinations if she failed to achieve the required 1, 1 on STEP?
Hoping to apply to for medicine.

GCSE:
4A* 6As 1B(Welsh First language) + Distinction in additional Maths

Alevels:
AAAA(Bio, Chem, Phys and Maths) with 7/9exams 90%+ UMS.

Predictions:
A*A*A*(Bio Chem & Maths)

BMAT:
Hopefully will get a strong BMAT! Will be revising like no other exam😂😂

I have loads of work experience and volunteering and what I have learned from my experience in care homes from the age of 14 and hospitals from 16 (now 17 turning 18) has been great! I have had a load of experience as a patient myself having ~100hrs of surgery at Great Ormand Street Hospital so I feel that will help me be empathetic towards my patients because I know what they're going through. I'm just worried that my GCSEs will hold me back? Would I be in good stead for an interview? I really love learning about medicine and I have loads of inspiration to do it I just don't wanna miss out on an interview just because of my GCSEs. Also, is it any harder to get an interview at a bigger college such as trinity for example?

Thank you very much for your time! Really appreciate this threat, soo helpful for us students that are stressing loads about getting a place to study medicine🤗
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi I have a question about taking maths a year early, I got an A* and will do further maths and physics in the second year. Would there be a 2 a level offer as I will have 3 a levels at the end and the work load in the second year is the same as a normal 3 a level student because there are double the amount of lessons for maths and counted as 2 options for my collwge
@Peterhouse Admissions
For an Economics applicant with A* in Maths, A* in Further Maths, A in Physics, B in Economics (1 mark to A, retaking for A* since only 1 module was unusually low) and A* in Persian A-level who is reapplying this year while studying new subjects (AS Computing and AS Psychology and self studying AS Additional Further Maths) which one of the following options would be better for a 4th option?
AS (and maybe A2) Critical Thinking or AS Photography or AS Accounting.

or will taking them make the application worst off? does it make the combination worse?

Also, any views on the AS Computing and AS Psychology? Valued for Economics applicants?

Appreciate the help.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 436
Hello Peterhouse, I was wondering how an EVR (excused with valid reason) On the university transcript is considered? (missing the exam due to fever, etc)
Original post by darren.bagwell
How common or likely is it that a Comp Sci w/ Math offer holder would be allowed to pursue one of the other options/combinations if she failed to achieve the required 1, 1 on STEP?

Depends on the college.
Original post by Elliottmanwaring

Your GCSE's are fine. You'll make a competitive applicant.
Hello! Back again with another question post-predictions.

I was wondering how much decisions are swayed by predicted grades; I know that universities must be wary of schools that inflate candidates' grades but would a (predicted) 3 A* applicant with a decent interview and personal statement and a 1A* 2 A applicant with a PS and interview at the same level be differentiated by their predictions and academic history?

I'm sorry if this is really garbled, I'm just trying to gauge how important our predictions are! (I got 3 A*s and I'm very excited but I have no idea what it *means*)

Latest

Trending

Trending