The Student Room Group

Maths C3 - Trigonometry... Help??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RDKGames
No need, the quadratic is all in terms of a single unknown variable and that's as simple as it gets.

OMG, I actually got it :smile:

Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you :smile:

So happy!!
Original post by Philip-flop
OMG, I actually got it :smile:

Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you :smile:

So happy!!

No problem, well done. :smile:
How have I been stuck on Chapter 6: Trigonometry of the Edexcel C3 Modular Maths Textbook for so long? Feel's like it's taking me ages to get through the book :frown: I was hoping to have finished all of it by now!
How have I been stuck on Chapter 6: Trigonometry of the Edexcel C3 Modular Maths Textbook for so long? Feel's like it's taking me ages to get through the book :frown: I was hoping to have finished all of it by now!

Anything particular that you're stuck on?
Anything particular that you're stuck on?

Practically everything! :P

I'm constantly asking for help and still make stupid little mistakes. Feel like I have no hope of succeeding at A2 :frown: Barely even succeeded at AS!!

Feel like I need a tutor but really can't afford it :/
(edited 7 years ago)
Practically everything! :P

I'm constantly asking for help and still make stupid little mistakes. Feel like I have no hope of succeeding at A2 :frown: Barely even succeeded at AS!!

Just practice otherwise you'll carry those stupid little mistakes to the exam which is not what you want. :smile:
Just practice otherwise you'll carry those stupid little mistakes to the exam which is not what you want. :smile:

Yeah true. But sometimes I feel like I'm practicing loads and loads but still struggle later on :/

How do I make sure I don't lose motivation?
Yeah true. But sometimes I feel like I'm practicing loads and loads but still struggle later on :/

How do I make sure I don't lose motivation?

Er, dunno. If I don't succeed in one question, I learn from it, and take on then next one because I want to get it right, I suppose. Exams are still a loooong way away so you'll get it by then.
Er, dunno. If I don't succeed in one question, I learn from it, and take on then next one because I want to get it right, I suppose. Exams are still a loooong way away so you'll get it by then.

Yeah, I guess I've just got to keep powering my way through and learn from my mistakes. But I seem to struggle to get the answer in the first place unless you're there prompting me like you have been :colondollar:

That's true, exams are a long way away, but in terms of the time that I have, I don't actually have a lot of study time :frown:
Ok so I'm stuck on Example 13 from chapter 6 of the Edexcel C3 Modular Maths Textbook part (a) ... For now :P ... Anyway I have a lot of questions to ask about this so if anyone could help I'd be more than thankful :smile:

C3 - Trig Identities.png

1) What gives the impression that ... cosec4θcot4θ \mathrm{cosec}^4 \theta - \cot ^4 \theta is the difference of two squares??

2) With this situation how do you find the difference of two squares, as I only know how to when an equation is in the form Ax2bAx^2-b

3) How/where is the identity 1+cot2θ=cosec2θ1+\cot ^2 \theta = \mathrm{cosec}^2 \theta is being used??

Again, sorry for the ridiculously silly questions :/
Reply 70
Ok so I'm stuck on Example 13 from chapter 6 of the Edexcel C3 Modular Maths Textbook part (a) ... For now :P ... Anyway I have a lot of questions to ask about this so if anyone could help I'd be more than thankful :smile:

1) What gives the impression that ... cosec4θcot4θ \mathrm{cosec}^4 \theta - \cot ^4 \theta is the difference of two squares??

2) With this situation how do you find the difference of two squares, as I only know how to when an equation is in the form Ax2bAx^2-b

3) How/where is the identity 1+cot2θ=cosec2θ1+\cot ^2 \theta = \mathrm{cosec}^2 \theta is being used??

A difference of two squares is this: a2b2=(ab)(a+b)a^2 - b^2 = (a-b)(a+b).

Here you have
Unparseable latex formula:

(\csc^2 \theta)^2 - (\cot^2 \theta)^2 = (\csc^2 \theta - \cot^2 \theta)(\csc^2 \thetaa + \cot^2 \theta)

Now the first bracket is csc2θcot2θ\csc^2 \theta - \cot^2 \theta but from your identity you know that csc2θ=cot2θ+1\csc^2 \theta = \cot^2 \theta + 1 so subtracting cot2\cot^2 from both sides, we have csc2θcot2θ=1\csc^2 \theta - \cot^2 \theta = 1.

So your factorisation becomes (1)(csc2θ+cot2θ)(1)(\csc^2 \theta + \cot^2 \theta)

Again, sorry for the ridiculously silly questions :/

1) Because both terms have the same even power and the whole expression is a difference. For any even power you can factor out a 2 which would make some arbitrary term to the power of 2, ie a square. So something like a6=(a3)2a^6=(a^3)^2 which is a square of some term to the third power.

2) cosec4θcot4θ=(cosec2θ)2(cot2θ)2=...\mathrm{cosec^4 \theta} - \mathrm{cot^4 \theta} = (\mathrm{cosec^2 \theta})^2-(\mathrm{cot^2 \theta})^2=...

Also Ax2bAx^2-b is not a form for a difference of two squares.. Difference of two squares is a2b2=(a+b)(ab)a^2-b^2=(a+b)(a-b). So something like A2x2b2A^2x^2-b^2 would indeed be a difference of two squares because A2x2=(Ax)2A^2x^2=(Ax)^2

3) Second line. Second bracket equals 1.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 72
3) Second line. Second bracket equals 0.

Original post by Zacken

lol...
1) Because both terms have the same even power and the whole expression is a difference. For any even power you can factor out a 2 which would make some arbitrary term to the power of 2, ie a square. So something like a6=(a3)2a^6=(a^3)^2 which is a square of some term to the third power.

2) cosec4θcot4θ=(cosec2θ)2(cot2θ)2=...\mathrm{cosec^4 \theta} - \mathrm{cot^4 \theta} = (\mathrm{cosec^2 \theta})^2-(\mathrm{cot^2 \theta})^2=... try this.

Also AxbAx-b is not a form for a difference of two squares.. Difference of two squares is a2b2=(a+b)(ab)a^2-b^2=(a+b)(a-b)

3) Second line. Second bracket equals 1.

Oh yeah. The difference of two squares never really made perfect sense to me until now. Thank you! I only knew how to solve the difference of two squares if it was written for example as... x24=(x+2)(x2)x^2-4 = (x+2)(x-2) but that's as basic as I could work out :frown:

Original post by Zacken
A difference of two squares is this: a2b2=(ab)(a+b)a^2 - b^2 = (a-b)(a+b).

Here you have
Unparseable latex formula:

(\csc^2 \theta)^2 - (\cot^2 \theta)^2 = (\csc^2 \theta - \cot^2 \theta)(\csc^2 \thetaa + \cot^2 \theta)

Now the first bracket is csc2θcot2θ\csc^2 \theta - \cot^2 \theta but from your identity you know that csc2θ=cot2θ+1\csc^2 \theta = \cot^2 \theta + 1 so subtracting cot2\cot^2 from both sides, we have csc2θcot2θ=1\csc^2 \theta - \cot^2 \theta = 1.

So your factorisation becomes (1)(csc2θ+cot2θ)(1)(\csc^2 \theta + \cot^2 \theta)

Thank you!!! That step by step process has really helped me!! These new Trig Identities that are introduced in C3 are really intimidating but I'm glad you're there to help :smile: I just need to keep familiarising myself. Hopefully it won't be too much of a struggle :doh:
Trying to understand how for part (b) that...
sin2θ+tan2θsin^2 \theta +tan^2 \theta <<<goes from...
...to this... (1cos2θ)+(sec2θ1)(1-cos^2 \theta)+(\sec ^2 \theta -1)
:frown:

Edit: False alarm, I was being stupid. I realised that I just had to re-arrange using Trig Identities :colondollar:
Edit: False alarm, I was being stupid. I realised that I just had to re-arrange using Trig Identities :colondollar:

C3 - Trig Identities.png

(edited 7 years ago)
Trying to understand how for part (b) that...
sin2θ+tan2θsin^2 \theta +tan^2 \theta <<<goes from...
...to this... (1cos2θ)+(sec2θ1)(1-cos^2 \theta)+(\sec ^2 \theta -1)
:frown:

Because
cos2θ+sin2θ1\cos^2 \theta + \sin^2 \theta \equiv 1

and (from dividing both sides by cos squared)

1+tan2θsec2θ1+\tan^2 \theta \equiv \sec^2 \theta

Rearrange for sine squared, and tan squared, then sub them in.
(edited 7 years ago)
Because
cos2θ+sin2θ1\cos^2 \theta + \sin^2 \theta \equiv 1

and (from dividing both sides by cos squared)

1+tan2θsec2θ1+\tan^2 \theta \equiv \sec^2 \theta

Rearrange for cos squared, and tan squared, then sub it in.

Thank you. I think all these Trig Identities are making me lose my mind which is why I've been making silly mistakes like that! :colondollar:
Thank you. I think all these Trig Identities are making me lose my mind which is why I've been making silly mistakes like that! :colondollar:

As long as you remember sin2θ+cos2θ1\sin^2 \theta + \cos^2 \theta \equiv 1 you can pretty much derive the rest from it so you don't necessarily have to remember all of them.
(edited 7 years ago)
As long as you remember sin2θ+cos2θ1\sin^2 \theta + \cos^2 \theta \equiv 1 you can pretty much derive the rest from it so you don't necessarily have to remember all of them.

Oh really? Can you explain. I'm not sure I see how the other identities are derived from that. I see them all as separate identities which is why I find it difficult to remember them :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest