The Student Room Group

Disabled mugging victim Alan Barnes offers just £10 to indebted woman who raised cash

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Betelgeuse-
Of course its his money but there is a heavy moral obligation on him to pay the PR fee's. We will never know just how much effect the PR campaign had but this guys cause was everywhereee , hard to beleive it didnt contribute more than the £6k it cost

He is a bad person, she is an idiot that got her virtue signalling fingers burnt. Guess its not virtue signalling now she actually has to pay :smile:

there is no 'moral' obligation at all
Reply 21
Original post by BaconandSauce
So if I raise money for a charitable cause then I should be able to ask for some of it back?

You can use the money raised to cover campaigning expenses, yes.
there is no 'moral' obligation at all

Of course there is. She she has incurred significant debt to give him wealth, her debt coming directly from creating his wealth.
I can see why he doesn't want to give her too much as then others will most likely come looking for handouts but still, she did help him out and to me, its common courtesy to help someone who has helped me in the past. A tenner really wont do anything in the grand scheme of her debt. I do agree she should have paid off the PR costs with any money raised before giving him the money but he could have at least gave her a grand or something towards but it saying that, the money was gift and he has no obligation to give her anything back if he really doesn't believe so. I can see the points from both sides.
Original post by Josb
You can use the money raised to cover campaigning expenses, yes.

and she should have done

but this have been part of the fund not after the fund has passed to the recipient (who asked for none of this)
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Of course there is. She she has incurred significant debt to give him wealth, her debt coming directly from creating his wealth.

No.

She choose to do this he has no responsibly here
charity - the voluntary giving of help, typically in the form of money, to those in need.
if i was him then id cover the 6k costs - but I'm not him. Yes i think he should help her out. But its his decision
No.

She choose to do this he has no responsibly here
charity - the voluntary giving of help, typically in the form of money, to those in need.

I understand its her legal responsbility. Given the success the campaign had and the massive amount of money that was raised for him it is absolutely terrible that he is not absolving her of the responsibility
this is not s similar issue

yes I would expect help from the RNLI if I'm drowning but not to help get me out of debt

You brought up the charitable organisation analogy.

And you can't say that for sure but it his HIS choice

I didn't say otherwise - I don't think he should be compelled to hand her the money. I do think people are entitled to reasonably criticise what they see as a morally wrong decision.
(edited 7 years ago)
He is helping her he's making a donation

A 10 pounds donation, to pay off a debt that this woman - as bad at planning as she apparently was - accrued only to raise the money for him in the first place.

The debt is valued at 2 percent of what she raised for him, and his response was to say "Thanks love, but get on your bike; here's 0.00303 percent of what you gave me. Hope that you don't lose everything, lol".

Frodo should never have trusted Gollum.
She went to lengths ,and above to raise 300k for him, and now he doesn't want to help her by atleast donating 10k? Debt which is very serious ,and could potentially affect her family members.

Things like this is why we live in a society, where people just walk past beggers, and are willing to do nothing to help. Helping people is frowned discouraged nowadays,and I am not not suprised :/
The thought that people are supporting this guy's actions is mind boggling. Imagine if the roles were swapped, there'd be mass death threats and a severe lack of support.

Disabled or not, this man is the very definition of scum. ANYONE that supports him is just a bad as far as I'm concerned. That woman raise over 300k for him, and the best he can do is offer £10 for a debt that was incurred in order to PROMOTE the campaign that ultimately lead to OVER 300K being RAISED FOR HIM?

And people wonder why others just walk by beggars like they don't exist... This is why a lot of people, including me, are very skeptical about donating in general. Helping someone out, and then having them essentially flip you the bird when you need help? It's a pain I know all too well, it's why I'm skeptical about donating, it's why I trust very few people, it's why I will only go out of my way to help certain people. Stories like this only give people more reasons to feel this way.

I could understand if it were some random person, but this is the woman who raised over 300k for him. The very least he could do is throw some pocket change her way and pay off the debt.

Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets his head kicked in again for only offering £10. Not that I think he should, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we get a story like that within the next month or so...
The guy's old and the money was donated to him, if he does not need it he should give it to others. He didn't earn that.
Lol why did people give so much to this guy? Loads of people get mugged and assaulted, just because someone's disabled doesn't mean we should treat them better than an able person.
I was going to say I don't think it is bad for him not to give her money. Giving or raising money for charity doesn't create any obligation on the receiver to give you anything in return.

However, the fact this was an expense incurred as part of the campaign to raise money, I think he should cover it. Why should she be thousands of pounds out of pocket when she has only helped him? He would still be 143k in profit.
I think about the only thing she can do is set up a just giving page for herself
he should set up a Just Giving page to help her.
Reply 38
Original post by the bear
he should set up a Just Giving page to help her.

And hire a PR company to help promote it...

(She should have kept on top of the finances and paid for any services before handing over the balance.)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I see the logic behind this though

Various people around the country donated money to him, under the impression that the money stays with him. Not his PR agent.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending