The Student Room Group

Clinton may have supported an illegal war but at least she didn't propose colonialism

Scroll to see replies

Original post by slaven
The other poster already did it. Comparing holocaust to colonialism is so factual inacurate.

Nope, I asked for a source that Africans wanted colonialism back. One poster posted a source of the opinions of people in two African countries on their lives before and after a discriminatory rule. Did these people say that they want colonialism back?

You said that Africans want to be colonised again, so support your statement with evidence.
Original post by PrinceOfOrange
Imagine actually supporting Hilary Clinton, what a lizard

Not supporting her, just pointing out that she's better than a complete psycho.
Original post by slaven
What is wrong with colonialism? All Africa would wish it back since they were better of under french or british rule.

This is one of the most ignorant thing i've read on TSR. How do you know that? Sure some countries such as congo might have been more economically stable with european ruling? But others such as South Africa where the native people couldnt even have a say in their leader. Not so much. My country was ruled by the british, french and italian. Each country had their own territory, because of this there are still disagreements and civil war between us. Im not saying this is the only factor which is causing violence, obvs isnt.

Colonialism wasnt good for every country. Plz use reliable facts to back up your poinless statements or gtfo
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by WBZ144
Not supporting her, just pointing out that she's better than a complete psycho.

I'm not sure about that honestly, Trump definitely has had some wilder ideas. But I think his core manifesto excluding immigration & abortion looks quite reasonable, you've also got to factor in that it's unlikely he'll get most of his **** through. Clinton with power is a lot more of a dangerous thing, if I was American I'd probably abstain but as an outsider I'm hoping for a Trump triumph just to piss off the political class.
Original post by WBZ144
Said Donald Trump. By the way, colonising a country and draining it of its natural resources is against international law. You can't bleed a country dry while at the same time preventing it's citizens from entering your own, not unless you're nothing more than a nasty bully.

"It's time for the United States to start thinking of Iraq as a business opportunity"

Hillary Clinton

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQq3hs_lXpY
Reply 25
Original post by Good bloke
No ex-colony has been drained of its resources. Zimbabwe has rich agricultural land and had 400,000 agricultural jobs prior to independence. It also had 1.4 million tourists annually. Its incompetent and corrupt post-independence government has reduced the former to virtually nothing and the latter by 75%. The government has allowed a tourism major resource, wildlife, to be vastly reduced. Gold production has slumped through government incompetence, not used-up resources.

wow even if your stats are true that is one example. Tons of countries have been crippled by colonial rule psychologically and financially. Sidenote only ppl who feel the need to call themselves 2goodblokes" often are not. You are quite idiotic, your view is preposterous and i bet you wouldnt say this in real life.
Original post by NimcoA
You are quite idiotic

Well, if your very first response to me is a personal insult with no reasonable discussion to back up your point of view, I can see this isn't going to be a worthwhile interchange. I would never, by the way, say anything that I don't say face to face.

I challenge you to prove that any coloniser has ever drained its colony of all its resources.
Original post by PrincessBO$$
This is one of the most ignorant thing i've read on TSR. How do you know that? Sure some countries such as congo might have been more economically stable with european ruling? But others such as South Africa where the native people couldnt even have a say in their leader. Not so much. My country was ruled by the british, french and italian. Each country had their own territory, because of this there are still disagreements and civil war between us. Im not saying this is the only factor which is causing violence, obvs isnt.

Colonialism wasnt good for every country. Plz use reliable facts to back up your poinless statements or gtfo

These are the ignorant kind of people who think that Africa is all the same country.
Original post by Crijjkal
"It's time for the United States to start thinking of Iraq as a business opportunity"

Hillary Clinton

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQq3hs_lXpY

In what context? If Iraq is a "business opportunity" in terms of improving trade relations then that's just fine. Stealing their oil is illegal and disgusting though.
Original post by NimcoA
Lol they're starving because of colonialism The BRITISH EMPIRE AND OTHER STATES took over their land and DRAINED THEM OF THEIR RESOURCES AND STOPPED THEM FROM PROGRESSING. THIS RESULTED IN THEM BEING LIGHT YEARS AWAYIN PROGRESS.

This is the opposite of the truth in Zimbabwe, where Mugabe's regime has turned a country set up to continue being the breadbasket of Africa into being a basket case.*

It's crap like this that gives them carte Blanche to continue driving the country into the dirt and providing perpetual misery for the people. This "colonialism is the reason you're all suffering" decades later is a tired and worn out deflection from mass-corruption and murderous oppression.*

Zimbabwe's current problems are entirely self-induced but as long as people keep on excusing them and blaming everything else, they'll continue to be a failed state.*

I'm not excusing colonialism here but countries like Zimbabwe and now South Africa are being taken into the abyss by their own leadership. Stop making excusing this.*
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by good bloke
well, if your very first response to me is a personal insult with no reasonable discussion to back up your point of view, i can see this isn't going to be a worthwhile interchange. I would never, by the way, say anything that i don't say face to face.

I challenge you to prove that any coloniser has ever drained its colony of all its resources.

********! You support ****ing colonialism!!!! Lol you must be a social outcast who reads the likes of breitbart or a complete psycho!
Reply 31
Original post by KimKallstrom
This is the opposite of the truth in Zimbabwe, where Mugabe's regime has turned a country set up to continue being the breadbasket of Africa into being a basket case.*

It's crap like this that gives them carte Blanche to continue driving the country into the dirt and providing perpetual misery for the people. This "colonialism is the reason you're all suffering" decades later is a tired and worn out deflection from mass-corruption and murderous oppression.*

Zimbabwe's current problems are entirely self-induced but as long as people keep on excusing them and blaming everything else, they'll continue to be a failed state. *

White guilt alert....
he's not wrong; the problem with iraq was that we pulled out too early (not usually a bad thing...)
Original post by NimcoA
********! You support ****ing colonialism!!!! Lol you must be a social outcast who reads the likes of breitbart or a complete psycho!

I do not support colonialism and nothing I have written (anywhere) could be sensibly read as doing so. I have merely pointed out that your claims that colonisers drained the resources of their colonies are without foundation.

Every single colony continues to have plenty of resources with which to continue development, other than those that are destroying their own chances by appointing corrupt or incompetent governments.
Original post by WBZ144
In what context? If Iraq is a "business opportunity" in terms of improving trade relations then that's just fine. Stealing their oil is illegal and disgusting though.

"When then-U.S. Sen. Hillary Clinton voted to authorize the war against Iraq in 2002, she justified her support of the invasion as a way to protect America’s national security. But less than a decade later, as secretary of state, Clinton promoted the war-torn country as a place where American corporations could make big money."

http://www.ibtimes.com/campaign-2016-hillary-clinton-pitched-iraq-business-opportunity-us-corporations-2121999

Congo suffered badly under Belgium colonialism. Wikipedia states a death toll of around 10 million over only a 20 year period.

Original post by Good bloke
I do not support colonialism and nothing I have written (anywhere) could be sensibly read as doing so. I have merely pointed out that your claims that colonisers drained the resources of their colonies are without foundation.

Every single colony continues to have plenty of resources with which to continue development, other than those that are destroying their own chances by appointing corrupt or incompetent governments.

Whilst I agree with you in regards to many African countries having many resources in their hands after colonialism, I disagree slightly in regards to what extent the people appointed certain leaders. There was a lot of outside influence during the cold war with a lot of funding and arms being given to groups who were willing to align with certain sides in the cold war.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm not really a Trump supporter but I do agree. If you win a war, why not keep the losing country's resources? I mean, wars are very expensive and there has to be a way of regaining that money and the best way to do that imo is through taking resources like precious metals, oil etc...
If a country wins a war, why shouldn't they take whatever they can? They won fair and square. International law can be stupid at times
Reply 38

Um.. yes. South Africa was ruled by natives all the time. The Boers are in SA more native than Bantus.
As said I unfortunately do not have polls since it would be to un PC to make it. But the amouth number of statements is just to big to dismiss it as a fringe minority.

If you think Somalia is now better off than before the euro rule. Than why do you choose to live in the country of your opressors than in your supposed "free" native one?
Original post by slaven
Um.. yes. South Africa was ruled by natives all the time. The Boers are in SA more native than Bantus.
As said I unfortunately do not have polls since it would be to un PC to make it. But the amouth number of statements is just to big to dismiss it as a fringe minority.

If you think Somalia is now better off than before the euro rule. Than why do you choose to live in the country of your opressors than in your supposed "free" native one?

Are u serious you know parts of somalia is ****ed up right now, and besides i didnt choose to come here fyi. If somalia does become a safe haven believe me i'll rather be there, and UK is fine. I come from the area colonized by the italians not the british.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending