The Student Room Group

Miserable about starting first year at nearly 22 -

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by the bear
do not choose enginering because your Mum wants you to.

This is such good advice. I did an electrical engineering course back when I was 19 because my mum told me to do it because it would earn me a good wage. I hated it and dropped out almost immediately after starting.

Now, 5 years later, I'm starting Univeristy and studying History and Philosophy. A complete contrast to what I was going to do with my life when I let other people decide what to do for myself. I'm much happier with my choices and I think I will enjoy the degree very much.

Do something you love and never look back!
Reply 21
Original post by JPO92
This is such good advice. I did an electrical engineering course back when I was 19 because my mum told me to do it because it would earn me a good wage. I hated it and dropped out almost immediately after starting.

Now, 5 years later, I'm starting Univeristy and studying History and Philosophy. A complete contrast to what I was going to do with my life when I let other people decide what to do for myself. I'm much happier with my choices and I think I will enjoy the degree very much.

Do something you love and never look back!

I know, I got myself into the situation in the first place by applying for engineering, my parents knew I had zero interest in anything physics related so they were surprised (I dropped physics A2 literally 3 months before the final exams because I was so incredibly depressed, I immediately felt so much better), my dad actually advised me not to do it back when I was 18, but I went ahead and really wished that I listened to him. My mum has never forced or pushed me to do it, but the idea of it makes her happy and that's what I find very difficult to go against. But it's clear that if I continue with it, I'll end up skipping lessons and dropping out. History has always been one of my favourite subject! I loved it during school, I hope you enjoy your course :smile:

Right now, because it's so late during the clearing process, if I change from Civil engineering I'd have to go to a pretty low ranked university - LSBU gave me an offer for Economics with finance... LSBU. I don't know if I could do that. My university also gave me an offer for Math & finance but I don't want to do a maths degree, just a quantitative one.
Reply 22
Original post by Kyrstface
Personally, you dont sound ready for Uni. You need to have some time out and figure out what course you want to do, otherwise you'll drop out and get a huge debt.

I won't argue that more time would be great right now, but if I'm freaking out about being nearly 22 at the start of my course, I don't know how I could wait another year and be nearly 23...
Reply 23
Original post by xSahar
I won't argue that more time would be great right now, but if I'm freaking out about being nearly 22 at the start of my course, I don't know how I could wait another year and be nearly 23...

It honestly won't matter being 23 AT ALL. I think you're making this into a big thing in your mind. You'll do great at whatever you do as long as it's why you think you want to do! I would honestly wait another year if you think that the degree you want the most is attainable next year. A year is a great amount of time to think about it and make sure you're happy. Remember, a degree is a big investment in your time! Don't rush it! It's important that you're as happy as possible before you start!
Reply 24
It sounds like you have no idea what you want to do with your future - DO NOT pick a course just because you don't want to disappoint your mum. Do you want to be depressed and end up dropping out again? Instead of focusing on going to uni focus on finding out what you want to do with your life. Don't do a degree for the sake of it. You're 22 and though it may not feel like it you've got plenty of time to figure things out
Reply 25
Hi
Relax about your age. I am 48 next month and just started my degree course in Textiles. So I will be over 50 when I finish!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending