The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society XVIII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Airmed
Really not ****ed for my psychiatrist tomorrow. He's useless. But hopefully he listened to my CPN about the dosage increase.

Hope it's alright :hugs: Sorry they are :s-smilie:
Original post by Anonymous
I am really struggling to tell anyone about my mental health problems, does anybody know of anyone of any other ways in which I could communicate them, besides verbally. Nobody (not even my family know anything about this).

Im the person Purple duck reffered too.

I first told most people none verbally. The first person i ever told i told via text that id been put on antidepressants.
And i told my mum by putting a booklet about depression in her work bag (she works nights) and a note basically saying sorry im a **** daughter and failed uni, but im on anti depressants.

And i woke up the next day when she was asleep and found the note i wrote on the table, but on the other side shed wrote a reply saying that she still loved me and would do anything to support me (i.e taking me to drs appointments)
And then we kinda had a mutual agreement not to say much in front of other people (mostly my step dad) and shes been great ever since, even when i was put on antipsychotics

Other than that im now very open about my mental health on social media now aswell.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Airmed
Really not ****ed for my psychiatrist tomorrow. He's useless. But hopefully he listened to my CPN about the dosage increase.

Good luck; I hope your appointment goes as well as it can.

Have you inquired about getting a second opinion? One of the rights with the NHS is being able to get a second opinion. You might find a more competent psychiatrist that way though it would probably mean another waiting list.
Original post by purple-duck
Big :hugs: you two - and to all others :eek: (only caught up on this last page - if anyone wants to write up a tl;dr of the past few threads then that'd be ace :tongue: Though you should probably be spending your time doing something else :tongue: :yes: )

Not to the same extent, but can sympathise with weight gain stuff - mirtazapine made me put on so much weight :s-smilie: Off it now and glad - irritating though because having lots of sleep was ace, just food cravings and the fact that sleeping lots means lower metabolism I guess/less moving about meant putting on weight quite quickly.... *ramble*

---------------------------------------------
Hope you guys are all okay :hi: :horse: :eek: Might disappear again but :wavey:
Will try leave this tab open and see what happens :eek: :tongue:

Hey purple-duck! :five: It's been a long time! How've you been/how are you now?

And yeah, mirtazapine munchies can really make you gain a lot of weight.
Original post by purple-duck
Hope it's alright :hugs: Sorry they are :s-smilie:

Original post by Sabertooth
Good luck; I hope your appointment goes as well as it can.

Have you inquired about getting a second opinion? One of the rights with the NHS is being able to get a second opinion. You might find a more competent psychiatrist that way though it would probably mean another waiting list.

It would probably be an even longer waiting list and I don't see the point. Tbh I think he's the only NHS psychiatrist in this area as all medical professionals I have came into contact with always mention him.
So today I was in with the psychiatrist for 25 minutes, my longest ever! :woo:

Improvement.

Anyway, he is requesting brain scans due to my horrible migraines. He doesn't expect anything to show but since my hallucinations have been coming on thick and fast in tbe last few months, he wants to be sure.

I'm also switching meds. It's been decided that I'm just too sensitive to high doses. What I have experienced with queitiapine on 25mg has him a bit worried. So trazodone, anyone? No weight gain, which is a massive positive because my hormones are ****ed, according to the gynaecologist, so I need to keep my weight down.
Today a friend told me that my papa's fight had inspired them to sign up on the organ donation register. Words can't describe how much that meant to me :h: papa's struggle isn't in vain if he can inspire others to sign up and help save countless others in the future :smile:

He also got on well with the kidney consultant yesterday. There was talk of him having to maybe get hospital dialysis instead of home but he seems to be responding well to the new home machine now finally so he can stay at home and his blood is back to normal after that bad infection he had :smile: we were up at the hospital for 3 hours yesterday and it was bloody roasting and crowded. My nerves were shot but just so glad we got some good news.
Got my PIP re-assesment letter through and have been downgraded from enhanced daily living to standard daily living - one point away from enhanced so appealing the decision. So frustrating. But at the same time I feel lucky to even get it as I've seen on here the struggle some people go through and reading online.*
Original post by Spock's Socks
Today a friend told me that my papa's fight had inspired them to sign up on the organ donation register. Words can't describe how much that meant to me :h: papa's struggle isn't in vain if he can inspire others to sign up and help save countless others in the future :smile:

He also got on well with the kidney consultant yesterday. There was talk of him having to maybe get hospital dialysis instead of home but he seems to be responding well to the new home machine now finally so he can stay at home and his blood is back to normal after that bad infection he had :smile: we were up at the hospital for 3 hours yesterday and it was bloody roasting and crowded. My nerves were shot but just so glad we got some good news.

I'm so glad you guys got some good news!
Feel so rubbish. Feeling really anxious and I'm not sure what to do about it. Went out last night and had a panic attack and my friend was trying to look after me and make sure I was ok but I was an absolute dick and practically ran off from him. :facepalm: Hope I'm ok in work tomorrow
Anyone want the audiobook of 'Voluntary Madness' on CD for free? (you'll have to pay for postage).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Voluntary-Madness-Year-Found-Loony/dp/0099513439

Otherwise I'll take it to the charity shop. Really good read on psychiatric hospitals/mental health. I paid like £15 for this but though would share with my fellow MHSS peeps for freezies :smile:*
can they put me in hospital for not taking my antipsychotics? Even if I haven’t become really unwell.
Original post by Cinnie
can they put me in hospital for not taking my antipsychotics? Even if I haven’t become really unwell.

Well, theoretically only if you are at risk.

However, as previously posted, I went to the psychiatrist the other day told him I'd stopped taking my clozapine a couple of weeks ago and am coming off the amisulpride. He said that although he knew I was not at any risk at all to myself or others, due to my presentation of deterioration on mental health he believed that if I don't start medication soon (as in that night) he would call a mental health act assessment.

So I think we're in a similar situation with the clozapine.

What's the situation? Why do you ask?*
Original post by Noodlzzz

So I think we're in a similar situation with the clozapine.

What's the situation? Why do you ask?*

The only symptoms i've been getting is a crowd noise intermittently throughout the day. It's something I can deal with and I find it much more tolerable than the side effects... especially as i'm trying to lose weight.

I've not had any psychotics for around 4 weeks now... and trying to cover it up is actually more damaging as before my blood test I take my full dose which is really dangerous if you've been taking nothing...
Original post by Cinnie
The only symptoms i've been getting is a crowd noise intermittently throughout the day. It's something I can deal with and I find it much more tolerable than the side effects... especially as i'm trying to lose weight.

I've not had any psychotics for around 4 weeks now... and trying to cover it up is actually more damaging as before my blood test I take my full dose which is really dangerous if you've been taking nothing...

If you don't feel you're getting worse than it should be ok. However, you did post a few days ago believe that sounded pretty worrying, and similar to what I reported to the psychiatrist who then threatened section.

In regards to the blood test, please do not take a full dose or even a small dose before a test. Mostly because it's highly dangerous as when you've stopped clozapine for more than 72 hours you have to be re-titrated from 25mg again and can cause the flu like symptoms at any dose which I can't remember what it's called but really dangerous - which is why they have blood tests with clozapine.

Secondly it doesn't work. I did a lot of research into this myself and taking a large dose before a blood test doesn't alter the levels in your blood enough to make it look like you've been taking your prescribed dose everyday for a month.

Be careful :hugs:*

Be careful :hugs:*

Trust me I won't be taking any clozapine, full dose or small dose, ever again, unless I get serious command hallucinations and am at risk.
* I should add I do have paranoia that someone is going to kill me but it's not stopping me from living everyday life
Original post by Cinnie
Trust me I won't be taking any clozapine, full dose or small dose, ever again, unless I get serious command hallucinations and am at risk.

I know the feeling. I hate the stuff. Worst psychiatric medication I've ever taken, and have taken 9 other antipsychotics.

What about exploring with your CCO and psychiatrist about a different medication? I know there is a few out there that don't have at all/to the same extent as clozapine (and olanzapine which I've been put on :frown: ) does. And other side effects can be gone/less. I found with clozapine that at night I would get hyper-salivation even on 50mg which sucked major time. Had that with no other meds.*

The only thing I would go on is aripiprazole - but they think that made me manic (I disagree).
Original post by Cinnie
The only thing I would go on is aripiprazole - but they think that made me manic (I disagree).

That's what I wanted to go on instead of the olanzapine but they said the side effects can be anxiety and apparently I look quite anxious already.

It sucks when psychiatrist think they know you better than yourself. But the truth is when it comes to psychosis sometimes you are the last person to know. Sigh.*

Latest