The Student Room Group

Work experience reference problem -- help

I'm currently on a gap year and applying for veterinary nursing courses at various universities.

I've done four weeks of work experience in a veterinary practice, which is more than most of them require, but I have a problem: I wasn't able to get a reference from the practice where I did my work experience, as it was the company rule that they weren't allowed to give them. I didn't find this out until I asked near the end of the placement. I was deeply disappointed as the placement went well and verbally, their feedback was always very positive.

Now I'm extremely worried that I won't be able to get a university place without a detailed reference.

The obvious solution is to find more work experience at a place which would be able to give me a reference, and I have been contacting other practices, but had no more replies so far. It also means that I can't be applying for temporary paid work to save money before university, and that I'm home all the time desperately wanting to work (whether in a paid setting or more voluntary experience) but unable to get in anywhere, and feeling like I'm going nowhere.

Thank you for taking the time to read this -- if you have any similar experience, or any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated. I'm quite lost right now.
Are you aware that the universities you're applying to explicitly ask for written references? If not then you'll probably be okay; I can't comment on nursing but for vet med 3/4 of the places I applied to didn't ask for references. They took my word for it that I'd done what I'd said I'd done, but they had the contact details of every business I claimed I'd gone to in case they thought something was fishy.

How have you been looking for other practices? Find A Vet is a good shout. You can plug in your postcode and they'll bring up a list of your nearest practices. I once spammed the 50 closest practices with the same email, begging for placements and while most didn't reply I got three week-long placements at very short notice.

As I'm sure you're aware, many practices are open until quite late in the evening (7-8pm is normal). Could you possibly get a 9-5 job and do placements in the evenings and weekends? :smile:
It doesn't necessarily need to be a character reference, if you ask them they should just write down that you attended the practice from whenever to whenever and surely that shouldn't be an issue?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Little Tail Chaser and Lizziefickling, thank you both so much for the kind and helpful answers.

Original post by Lizziefickling
It doesn't necessarily need to be a character reference, if you ask them they should just write down that you attended the practice from whenever to whenever and surely that shouldn't be an issue?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for your reply!

I had already asked them for a letter with the dates of my work experience to prove that I'd done it (which they were happy to give me) -- I was just worried that this would not be enough for universities as a couple of my choices stated in the entry requirements that they wanted "detailed references" with comments on certain aspects such as tasks you carried out and how well you did.

I have now changed those choices for other unis which seem to be less particular about references. Today I went to an open day where I asked about it and the admissions tutor said that just this would be fine. That, plus your comment, were very reassuring :smile:

Original post by Little Tail Chaser
Are you aware that the universities you're applying to explicitly ask for written references? If not then you'll probably be okay; I can't comment on nursing but for vet med 3/4 of the places I applied to didn't ask for references. They took my word for it that I'd done what I'd said I'd done, but they had the contact details of every business I claimed I'd gone to in case they thought something was fishy.

How have you been looking for other practices? Find A Vet is a good shout. You can plug in your postcode and they'll bring up a list of your nearest practices. I once spammed the 50 closest practices with the same email, begging for placements and while most didn't reply I got three week-long placements at very short notice.

As I'm sure you're aware, many practices are open until quite late in the evening (7-8pm is normal). Could you possibly get a 9-5 job and do placements in the evenings and weekends? :smile:

4 out of my 5 choices explicitly asked for written references, but only 2 specified that they needed to be any more than simple proof of the starting and end dates of my work experience placements. I've changed my choices a bit as there were other unis I would be just as happy to go to and which are less strict about references. I went to an open day at one today, and they seemed to understand that not all practices are able to give references, and it should not affect my chances too greatly, as long as I do have that written proof of the dates.

Thank you for the link to find a vet! I'd mostly just been using google searches, but that seems a much more effective way of doing it.

I think I will do just that :smile: Evenings and weekends should hopefully be fine at this stage as I've already done a few weeks of continuous work experience, but would love to do more, and it can only help my application. It seems I'll be ok without the detailed references for at least some of the unis, but perhaps if I keep trying and am really lucky, I might come across someone who would be able and happy to write one with a little more detail. Thank you again.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Hi,
Do you know where does require references for veterinary medicine because before today i'd hear nothing about references from work experience?? I have managed to get 6 weeks of required work experience over the last 6 months (as before then I had no idea what I was doing with my life lol) and, while i'm no longer applying this year, i'm now kind of concerned that they were all a waste if I didn't get a reference...
Many thanks,
Rebecca
Original post by RMW99
Hi,
Do you know where does require references for veterinary medicine because before today i'd hear nothing about references from work experience?? I have managed to get 6 weeks of required work experience over the last 6 months (as before then I had no idea what I was doing with my life lol) and, while i'm no longer applying this year, i'm now kind of concerned that they were all a waste if I didn't get a reference...
Many thanks,
Rebecca

Liverpool ask for references, the others im unsure of but it's always good to have references just in case

Posted from TSR Mobile
So RVC asks for references and it says:
You do not need to provide references for all placements you have undertaken but must provide references covering at least 10 days (in the 18 months prior to your application) experience in a veterinary practice(s) and 10 days in other animal environments.

So if I have a placement that covers over 10 days experience can I just send 2 references or would they prefer to have as many references as possible? Thanks
I had a placement who would not give me a reference because of their policy. Had to get my mum to call in, speak to the most senior person she could and complain and they quickly provided one - sometimes they treat annoyed parents better than yourself which is very frustrating.
Reply 8
Original post by zabveniye
I'm currently on a gap year and applying for veterinary nursing courses at various universities.

I've done four weeks of work experience in a veterinary practice, which is more than most of them require, but I have a problem: I wasn't able to get a reference from the practice where I did my work experience, as it was the company rule that they weren't allowed to give them. I didn't find this out until I asked near the end of the placement. I was deeply disappointed as the placement went well and verbally, their feedback was always very positive.

Now I'm extremely worried that I won't be able to get a university place without a detailed reference.

The obvious solution is to find more work experience at a place which would be able to give me a reference, and I have been contacting other practices, but had no more replies so far. It also means that I can't be applying for temporary paid work to save money before university, and that I'm home all the time desperately wanting to work (whether in a paid setting or more voluntary experience) but unable to get in anywhere, and feeling like I'm going nowhere.

Thank you for taking the time to read this -- if you have any similar experience, or any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated. I'm quite lost right now.

My vet practice was the same.
In the end they provided aheaded letter that stated the Dayan I worked there's to show I had met the minimum required. They also offered off the record a verbal character reference.
I was so sad when I found out, I had worked there for 6 weeks. I would try and see if they can at least provide that.
The place I went couldnonly provide that for full time staff too.

Excuse the terrible typing, I've cut my thumb and on my phone :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending