The Student Room Group

Newbie Coders Chat

Scroll to see replies

Lol!
Original post by Craghyrax
I can't be the only person on TSR trying to teach myself programming. Why not introduce yourself and say hi?
What are you learning? What stage are you at? What goals do you have?

Maths student learning web development here :tongue:

My current plan is to self-teach Javascript, JQuery, PHP and Python up until summer, and I've been using various books and online videos (youtube has loads of them for beginners) :tongue:

My goal is to hopefully build a good portfolio, and possibly get a part time web development job whilst at uni.

Original post by fefssdf
i did java at gcse and it pissed me off so bad so i just gave up ; so damn annoying how one little syntax error messes us the entire thing

We all been there. This had made me hate programming and it's why I never wanted to touch it after 3 long years :biggrin:

Original post by kkboyk
Maths student learning web development here :tongue:

My current plan is to self-teach Javascript, JQuery, PHP and Python up until summer, and I've been using various books and online videos (youtube has loads of them for beginners) :tongue:

My goal is to hopefully build a good portfolio, and possibly get a part time web development job whilst at uni.

:five:
How far have you gotten so far? I have similar plans to you :smile:
:five:
How far have you gotten so far? I have similar plans to you :smile:

I've barely been coding since my laptop broke, but I'm now comfortable with html, css, half way through with javascript and know the basics for python. After I get a new laptop I shoulf make fast progress :tongue:
Original post by kkboyk
I've barely been coding since my laptop broke, but I'm now comfortable with html, css, half way through with javascript and know the basics for python. After I get a new laptop I shoulf make fast progress :tongue:
Ah bugger! I'd die! :headfire:
I started very recently with python.

I suck.
I am learning to code in both Python and Fortran 90 as part of my uni course, but I really suck at it.
I think it's quite fun, but really frustrating when you don't know what you are doing (I feel that it's being taught really badly here), so I tend to have to use trial and error if there's a problem with my code.
Ive started learning HTML and JavaScript at the minute but think ill do Java/Python/PHP too:tongue:
I can't be the only person on TSR trying to teach myself programming. Why not introduce yourself and say hi?What are you learning? What stage are you at? What goals do you have?

At the moment, I'm learning Python at school for my GCSE. In my spare time, I'm learning JavaScript, PHP and SQL. I am proficient in HTML and CSS since I started all the way back in 2012 (or was it 2013?).

My goal is to design and develop my very first browser game and host it live. It's a fun, little project to further my progress into pursuing a career in game development. It's going to be awful.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by l1lvink
I am learning to code in both Python and Fortran 90 as part of my uni course, but I really suck at it.
I think it's quite fun, but really frustrating when you don't know what you are doing (I feel that it's being taught really badly here), so I tend to have to use trial and error if there's a problem with my code.

Not gonna lie, if you want to get in the programming industry whilst having knowledge on Fortran you definitely will be favored over a lot of candidates. Fortran and Cobol are languages not really used today, however if you're an individual who can comfortably program in both languages then you're set for life. It's publically known in the industry that individuals who can program in those languages are amongst the most top/intelligent programmers in the world. And Python is boring, learn Java (in your spare time).
Hi, I have self taught myself some of the basics of Java (built a calculator and a random number generator game) by using thenewboston. This was about a year ago, so I have forgotten most of it by now, but now I feel like learning it again. Should I try to refresh my mind and learn more Java or should I change the language?
Original post by asinghj
Hi, I have self taught myself some of the basics of Java (built a calculator and a random number generator game) by using thenewboston. This was about a year ago, so I have forgotten most of it by now, but now I feel like learning it again. Should I try to refresh my mind and learn more Java or should I change the language?

Learn Java or a form of C. Both very powerful languages that you can do a lot with.
Original post by Aklaol
Learn Java or a form of C. Both very powerful languages that you can do a lot with.

Thank you 🙃 Any suggestions of what's I could use?
Reply 114
If I wanted to get into Arduino and Raspberry Pi, what would be the best route for me interms of languages? or would you just learn on the job?... Thanks
Original post by asinghj
Thank you 🙃 Any suggestions of what's I could use?

Well if you want to make a GUI, you could use Netbeans for Java. Loads of fun to mess around with :biggrin:.

Original post by ocala
If I wanted to get into Arduino and Raspberry Pi, what would be the best route for me interms of languages? or would you just learn on the job?... Thanks

Well, it would be good to learn how to use a Raspberry Pi.... I'd also imagine that learning Python would be good also if you're into the whole Raspberry Pi thing.
Original post by Aklaol
Well if you want to make a GUI, you could use Netbeans for Java. Loads of fun to mess around with :biggrin:.

Thanks, gonna look at that tomorrow. Too tired rn 😴
How long have you been a programmer for?
I've been learning Java for my EPQ! I have used Codecademy, coding books and Youtube tutorials
Original post by asinghj
Thanks, gonna look at that tomorrow. Too tired rn 😴
How long have you been a programmer for?

I've been programming for 5 years. I'm currently at the age of 16.
Hey guys, I was just wandering if coding was for me as i'm probably more of a humanities guy and better at English stuff than maths but i have always loved computers and been researching a lot and am about to start a computer science degree. Any tips for me on how to do well and what sort of stuff should i be doing in my spare time? Btw i have no programming experience so far.

Any help is appreciated :smile: Does a CS degree put you in a great position for jobs also?

Quick Reply

Latest