The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

What a game, what a performance :biggrin:

Once again, we made a quality side look poor (mainly in the first half).

Not only did everyone look good tonight, we looked seamless with a lot of our passing. Just pinging it back and forth so quickly and advancing into better positions each time.

Matip looking like a good defender so far. Bit of a mistake by going to ground for their goal but otherwise kept a top attacking force look a bit blunt. Karius is meant to be a lot better with his feet/distribution so once he comes into the side, we might see an even better defence?

Coutinho wasn't great for me.. good assist for the goal and some defence splitting passes but actually thought he gave away a lot of loose passes too. For me he doesn't currently get into the side ahead of Firmino, Lallana and Mane.

Yes people will keep pointing out Burnley as a blot but the reality is that every top side will suffer one or two of those this season. Not only the results but the performances against Arsenal (A), Spurs (A), Chelsea (A) and Leicester (H) should speak volumes.

Obviously all against top sides who look to go toe to toe with us. Be interesting to see how it translate when more teams park the bus like Burnley but with the passing tonight and runners etc, I think we'll be fine.

Did not see us having 10 points after those 5 starting games so I'm very happy.

I imagine we'll see wholesale changes for Derby but Hull and Swansea will be very interesting to watch.

Klopp making this side very watchable!
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
I'm well happy with that :biggrin:

A big concern that barring Burton we've not kept a clean sheet yet this season.

Yea but we've played most of the top sides.. I'm pretty relaxed about it. There won't be that many games that a team like Chelsea fail to score in.
Very tense final 25 minutes but we handled that pressure very well I thought. Two very good goals as well and another fantastic away performance against a top side (even though they were very poor in the first half).
Great win, the last 20 mins had me on the edge of my seat and I was pretty certain Chelsea would get the equaliser. I'm glad we were able to squeeze out a win. Lovely goals by Lovren and Henderson, I'm especially happy for the latter as at the start of the season he had faced lots of criticism. Nice to see Hendo playing freely and his defensive awareness has really improved under Klopp's tutelage.
We had 10 points at the same point in 2013/14.
We had 10 points at the same point in 2013/14.

I don't want to think about that season, such a painful end. :cry2:

I hope the team doesn't get overly hyped up by the media and fans and that everyone can keep levelheaded. The last thing the players need is the extra pressure of being expected to challenge for the title. We don't have the mental fortitude (yet) to keep cool under lots of pressure and expectations- see the finals of last season. I'll very happily take 4th place, anything above is a bonus.
Original post by The.Joker
I don't want to think about that season, such a painful end. :cry2:

I hope the team doesn't get overly hyped up by the media and fans and that everyone can keep levelheaded. The last thing the players need is the extra pressure of being expected to challenge for the title. We don't have the mental fortitude (yet) to keep cool under lots of pressure and expectations- see the finals of last season. I'll very happily take 4th place, anything above is a bonus.

Well we've beat 3 big teams already and scored pretty freely..
Original post by Zerforax
Well we've beat 3 big teams already and scored pretty freely..

And we lost to Burnley and haven't kept a clean sheet in the PL so far...

I'm just gonna take it game by game, my hopes were completely obliterated towards the end of the 13/14 season. :frown:
Its been 5 games people...
Enjoyed the match. Thought Chelsea might nick it at the end. I hope Liverpool can push on and turn over the lesser teams as out of the realistic candidates for the title they are my preferred option. Them or Everton would be fine with me as would Spurs.

Hope Sturridge's injury isn't too bad.

Good win.
Thing is you played well and rarely lost in the big games last season, so it's far too early to read anything into it. Think you've got a better chance of the top 4 than Chelsea who look incredibly dull and are relying on Hazard And Costa staying fit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9431
anyone here from London going to the Hull game next week?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sr90
Thing is you played well and rarely lost in the big games last season, so it's far too early to read anything into it. Think you've got a better chance of the top 4 than Chelsea who look incredibly dull and are relying on Hazard And Costa staying fit.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Beating Hull would be a start, because it's become too much of a pattern. Beat a big team, lose to a small one...
Saw this on reddit :biggrin:

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1474108054.021643.jpg
Original post by Lúcio
Saw this on reddit :biggrin:

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1474108054.021643.jpg

Never had you down as a Redditor. Or do you only use the LFC sub?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sr90
Never had you down as a Redditor. Or do you only use the LFC sub?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nah I don't post or anything, just browse and laugh at funny things :biggrin:
Original post by Zerforax
Coutinho wasn't great for me.. good assist for the goal and some defence splitting passes but actually thought he gave away a lot of loose passes too. For me he doesn't currently get into the side ahead of Firmino, Lallana and Mane.

Well yeah, I completely agree with you. 51 completed passes at 91% accuracy (2nd highest on team, after Matip) means that 5 loose passes he had, when tasked with being the primary creator for a team that was on the back foot for 55 minutes, is utterly shocking.

Never mind the fact that he created the first goal by himself, that the second came down his side, and he's two games removed from single-handedly dragging us back into the Arsenal game, and then putting them to bed too. Forget that he was actually fantastic at retaining the ball and showed excellent defensive maturity yesterday.
A big concern that barring Burton we've not kept a clean sheet yet this season.

Of course, because it is unexpected that we wouldn't concede a goal when we've played from home 4 times out of 5, and played 4 of this season's expected top 7. On top of that, it is also hugely concerning to have minor defensive issues when all but one of our first choice defense hasn't had some kind of appearance issues this season, all whilst the team is undoubtedly doing well.
(edited 7 years ago)
Nice to see SUG back... 🙄
Original post by sugar dadddy
Well yeah, I completely agree with you. 51 completed passes at 91% accuracy (2nd highest on team, after Matip) means that 5 loose passes he had, when tasked with being the primary creator for a team that was on the back foot for 55 minutes, is utterly shocking.

Never mind the fact that he created the first goal by himself, that the second came down his side, and he's two games removed from single-handedly dragging us back into the Arsenal game, and then putting them to bed too. Forget that he was actually fantastic at retaining the ball and showed excellent defensive maturity yesterday.

You're right - it wasn't just the passing, it was also the trying to run with the ball in the wrong areas and getting tackled which helped Chelsea turn us to attack in dangerous areas too.

Liverpool on the back foot for 55 minutes? What game were you watching.. we dominated them for the first 45 minutes and were just as good as them in the second half.

Primary creator? Klopp has turned us away from having to rely on just one or two players to create - so many players were fantastic yesterday.
Everybody was brilliant yesterday (especially the CBs), but we definitely need to give special mention to Milner.

He's a midfielder playing LB so he's never gonna be perfect, but he's come up against Willian (+ Ivanovic) and Mahrez and made them look average.

Not only that, he's still getting forward and putting in quality crosses.
Still a long way to go and many tests still to come, but perhaps Klopp was right about not buying a LB?

Latest