The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 571122
Why do HR managers and interviewers insist on harassing the interviewee with impossible and unrealistic questions? What's the point of this?!

Here's an example:
- "Oh, I see that during your Bachelor's studies you haven't listed any jobs."
me: "That's correct"
- "So, you haven't been on the job market since three years ago huh?"
So what? My professors highly discouraged me from working while attending my Bachelors and they did a good thing in advising me so, otherwise I would have flunked many more times.
And isn't it logical and bold to pursue my studies full-on?

- "How did you fund your studies? I don't see any jobs listed"
me: "I received a scholarship each year because I got good grades"
Again, patronizing me because I didn't do any jobs. What, is there no value in getting a scholarship and funding my studies that way? What's wrong in that? Am I only recognized as a valuable and motivated person if I work?! What a stupid mentality.

- "I see there are gaps in your CV you haven't explained to us. What did you do between x and y years?"
Oh come on, I'm not allowed to have a non-perfect life?! I have to have worked everywhere?! I have to have either studied or worked?! What about family problems that screw your life huh?! What about times you were severely depressed and didn't go to school or worked huh?! Are these HR managers humans are robots?!

- "What do you think makes a good Computer Scientist?"
me: "Someone who is passionate about the field"
- "And what is someone who is passionate about the field?"
me: "Someone who spends his free time on the field, outside of work"
- "And why would he do that?"
me: "Because he loves his field"
- "What is 'loving your field' really mean?"
What are you, Socrates now?! Why this, why that, why that, why that? For crying out loud!

This kind of thing is just annoying. What does it matter for the job anyway? It sounds like they're just testing my resilience to stupid questions.

1) Certainly in the UK employers want to see evidence of more than just a degree. A degree on its own doesn't demonstrate capability in the workplace. I've read reports compiling employers experiences with graduates and they say some graduates still don't get the basis right such as turning up on time and dressing appropriately, let alone being hardworking and competent. Those who already have work experience are more likely to be able to do so.

2) It's standard for them to ask, employers don't generally like big gaps on a CV unexplained as it leaves them asking questions.

3) They want to know you understand what skills are required to do the job.

You really need to change your attitude. It's an employers market out there and you really can't afford to fight against them like this.
Reply 21
Original post by jelly1000
1) Certainly in the UK employers want to see evidence of more than just a degree. A degree on its own doesn't demonstrate capability in the workplace. I've read reports compiling employers experiences with graduates and they say some graduates still don't get the basis right such as turning up on time and dressing appropriately, let alone being hardworking and competent. Those who already have work experience are more likely to be able to do so.

2) It's standard for them to ask, employers don't generally like big gaps on a CV unexplained as it leaves them asking questions.

3) They want to know you understand what skills are required to do the job.

You really need to change your attitude. It's an employers market out there and you really can't afford to fight against them like this.

1) Those would be idiotic and immature graduates. Punctuality and grooming are one of my best qualities.

There's a difference between hardworking and working your hardest best but still being too slow for the industry.

3) Like my colleague said: "Yeah? If those idiots would ask that to me, I would ask them back: 'What kind of programmers do you want to get with that question? Good programmers or guys who prepared for that question?'". Of course I know what skills are required, but their question was stupid and vague. It's too philosophical.
Original post by 571122
1) Those would be idiotic and immature graduates. Punctuality and grooming are one of my best qualities.

There's a difference between hardworking and working your hardest best but still being too slow for the industry.

3) Like my colleague said: "Yeah? If those idiots would ask that to me, I would ask them back: 'What kind of programmers do you want to get with that question? Good programmers or guys who prepared for that question?'". Of course I know what skills are required, but their question was stupid and vague. It's too philosophical.

1) But how do they know you aren't one of those if you haven't already demonstrate that elsewhere?

2) Maybe that wasn't the right job for you then. Sometimes we have to acknowledge our limits and areas of weakness, I would know, I'm dyspraxic.

3) There are enough people applying for jobs that employers can find people who prepare and are good at the job.
Reply 23
Original post by jelly1000
1) But how do they know you aren't one of those if you haven't already demonstrate that elsewhere?

2) Maybe that wasn't the right job for you then. Sometimes we have to acknowledge our limits and areas of weakness, I would know, I'm dyspraxic.

3) There are enough people applying for jobs that employers can find people who prepare and are good at the job.

1) Quite obvious: be 5 minutes early for the interview.

2) I'm just not developed well enough at programming yet. I don't have any limits. Remember what Sal Khan from Khanacademy said: "Anyone can learn anything and excel at it". I know this from experience.

3) Again, being able to answer that open (!) question doesn't in any way verify you are a good programmer/scientist.
Original post by 571122
1) Quite obvious: be 5 minutes early for the interview.

2) I'm just not developed well enough at programming yet. I don't have any limits. Remember what Sal Khan from Khanacademy said: "Anyone can learn anything and excel at it". I know this from experience.

3) Again, being able to answer that open (!) question doesn't in any way verify you are a good programmer/scientist.

Deary me, the vast majority of applicants are able to show their punctuality through years of turning up to work on time, and you think that arriving 5 minutes early for a single interview will suffice? You're out of your mind.
You have to understand that it an extremely competitive market out there. I work three jobs alongside my degree because I have to! My parents give me what they can and I appreciate them dearly for that but I also know that i'm going to get alot further with five years work experience under my belt once I graduate.

And as for the third one. It isn't stupid, vague or too philosophical. They want to see that you have a genuine passion and interest for the subject which you clearly don't as you can't even answer the question.

My boyfriend is currently doing a games programming degree so I asked him your third question without any warning. This was his response.

"What do you think makes a good Computer Scientist?"
" You need to think the way a computer does, meaning everything is logical. Everything needs to be clear and precise. For example if a mother sends her son to the shop and says "Can you buy milk and if they have eggs, get six." If the boy thought as a computer would he would return with six cartons of milk. When the mum asks why, the son replies "Because they had eggs."
That is an example of how everything needs to be completely clearly communicated which is essential when understanding computers. A good computer scientist will be able to work and think like that. You need to understand how computers work to get the best out of them. A computer scientist also researches the field to keep up his knowledge of what is going on in the industry around him. By doing this he is able to keep his research up to date and make sure that he is using accurate information in his work."

It's already so much more detailed with a clearer understanding about the industry and thats what employers are looking for.

Saying you're passionate about the job is so stupid. That applies to literally anything. I could go into my job at Primark and say "i'm passionate about retail." You need to provide examples and reasoning.

Also You say you got scholarships for good grades then later on you say you didn't work over summer because you were preparing for resits? Which one was it.
Original post by 571122
x

So, there's nothing wrong with any of your answers.

There's also nothing particularly special about them either.

It's not enough just to have an 'ok' answer.

Being a graduate is not a free path to a graduate job like it was in the 60s, 70s, 80s. Now, you need to stand out. Be more. Do more.

SS
Reply 27
Original post by Jackieox

"What do you think makes a good Computer Scientist?"
" You need to think the way a computer does, meaning everything is logical. Everything needs to be clear and precise. For example if a mother sends her son to the shop and says "Can you buy milk and if they have eggs, get six." If the boy thought as a computer would he would return with six cartons of milk. When the mum asks why, the son replies "Because they had eggs."
That is an example of how everything needs to be completely clearly communicated which is essential when understanding computers. A good computer scientist will be able to work and think like that. You need to understand how computers work to get the best out of them. A computer scientist also researches the field to keep up his knowledge of what is going on in the industry around him. By doing this he is able to keep his research up to date and make sure that he is using accurate information in his work."

I already know all of that because I got my degree, during which I learned that mindset. We also have to do constant research, which I do. I don't have to go and boast about to it to anyone. The fact remains the question was vague and a true philosopher will know that there could have been a multitude of ways to answer that question.

Also You say you got scholarships for good grades then later on you say you didn't work over summer because you were preparing for resits? Which one was it.

Yes, I got scholarships for the times I did well. The other times, I didn't get scholarships.

P.S. I hate programming.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by Supersaps
So, there's nothing wrong with any of your answers.

There's also nothing particularly special about them either.

It's not enough just to have an 'ok' answer.

Being a graduate is not a free path to a graduate job like it was in the 60s, 70s, 80s. Now, you need to stand out. Be more. Do more.

SS

The most efficient answer indeed. I gave you +1 rep for that.
Reply 29
Original post by 571122
The most efficient answer indeed. I gave you +1 rep for that.

Your inability to tell a straight story will be a limiting factor.*
Original post by 571122
a true philosopher will know that there could have been a multitude of ways to answer that question.

Indeed they might, but unless you're applying to be a philosopher, your employer more than likely does not care.

One suggestion for you is starting a company. It's not for everyone, but you have complete control of everything and can shape it how you like. You don't have to have an interview, and you don't have to answer to anyone. It's a career path that doesn't suit everyone, but if you have the drive and ambition to make it work you could very feasibly do so.

If the company works, great! If not, provided you're able to reflect on why it didn't work, you have an extra experience to put on your CV which will be unique and noteworthy. Few people have experience with running a company, and it entails unique challenges and experiences which are very much transferable to working in someone else's company.

Latest

Trending

Trending