The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rosser1994
Can I just ask where you've got the 3030 off? I'm all up for clarification if it puts my mind at ease haha.
But I've just purely worked it from the averages (so already excluding DM), so the 726 average (2180 w/o DM) equates to the 767 (3070) cutoff. So what I'm saying is if the top decile is rising to 2190 then the cut off is likely to rise with it.

I don't know if that makes much sense, I'm running on 3 hours sleep

Posted from TSR Mobile

from here, the left table, 9th decile, 2013: http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/App_Media/uploads/pdf/UKCAT%20Test%20Statistics%202015.pdf
you used the right table

and no, the 3070 cut off figure DOES include DM as 3070/3 does not equal 767
but 3070/4 = 767 which indicates that they included a 4th section (DM)

if you look at all the cut off figures you quoted and divide by 3 then you'll realise that they've given an average of 4 sections (i.e. DM is included in the total score)
so to give an accurate projection you need to compare it to deciles that also include DM

Original post by 123ash
I bet the QR section was easy for you. haha

haha yeah admittedly it was actually my best section :colondollar:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by PurpleSquid
from here, the left table, 9th decile, 2013: http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/App_Media/uploads/pdf/UKCAT%20Test%20Statistics%202015.pdf
you used the right table

and no, the 3070 cut off figure DOES include DM as 3070/3 does not equal 767
but 3070/4 = 767 which indicates that they included a 4th section (DM)

haha yeah admittedly it was actually my best section :colondollar:

I did use the right table because it removes the DM section and allows you to make a reasonable judgement call regarding the 3 remaining sections. I know it's an average of the 4 sections (I had 890 in QR also :wink: ) all I've done is average out the remaining sections as that provides more of a representative of this year. Can you see where I'm coming from at all? 😂
I did use the right table because it removes the DM section and allows you to make a reasonable judgement call regarding the 3 remaining sections. I know it's an average of the 4 sections (I had 890 in QR also :wink: ) all I've done is average out the remaining sections as that provides more of a representative of this year. Can you see where I'm coming from at all? 😂

sorry i still fail to see how you arrived to 780 :s-smilie: maybe i'm just dumb
could you write out your calculation as i had done?

but anyway, like i said, i'm not a prospective graduate medic, i'm applying for grad dentistry so it doesn't matter to me hahaha
i just hoped to alleviate some of the panic that you (and others reading this thread) might feel based on (who knows how accurate) projections
Had my UKCAT this morning and it went absolutely awful, WAY below what I got in the mocks. Maybe it was my nerves, maybe it was the questions - or both, dunno!

Ended up with an average of only 615 so I think medicine is off the table for next year now by the looks of it, especially for UKCAT unis

My only last hope for next year is Cambridge.
Original post by Spudhead
Had my UKCAT this morning and it went absolutely awful, WAY below what I got in the mocks. Maybe it was my nerves, maybe it was the questions - or both, dunno!

Ended up with an average of only 615 so I think medicine is off the table for next year now by the looks of it, especially for UKCAT unis

My only last hope for next year is Cambridge.

why do you feel it went this way?
also... do you have a 1st class degree...d o u think Birmingham may be an option for you?
Original post by Lostperson
why do you feel it went this way?
also... do you have a 1st class degree...d o u think Birmingham may be an option for you?

The questions just seemed a lot harder than the mocks, especially AR. On Medify I usually 5/5 every question no problem. That was my weakest today, I only got 590.

I dont think Medify gives a good representation of whats in the final exam, at least in my experience anyways.

Yeah I have a first class degree in Biomed but Birmingham is not an option unfortunately because they want A-levels. But I don't have any (I did a foundation year at Uni instead). They wont accept the foundation year as a substitute either even though its to A-level equivalency.
The questions just seemed a lot harder than the mocks, especially AR. On Medify I usually 5/5 every question no problem. That was my weakest today, I only got 590.

I dont think Medify gives a good representation of whats in the final exam, at least in my experience anyways.

Yeah I have a first class degree in Biomed but Birmingham is not an option unfortunately because they want A-levels. But I don't have any (I did a foundation year at Uni instead). They wont accept the foundation year as a substitute either even though its to A-level equivalency.

I thought came wanted a levels too? I see... yeh its a bit of a toughie...I guess....maybe if you apply to 5 year courses, in terms of funding, could you cope with that?

AR was bad for me too last year, I have 14 days left till my ukcat. I think modify isn't a good representation either.
I thought came wanted a levels too? I see... yeh its a bit of a toughie...I guess....maybe if you apply to 5 year courses, in terms of funding, could you cope with that?

AR was bad for me too last year, I have 14 days left till my ukcat. I think modify isn't a good representation either.

Cambridge accept alternatives to the same level, which my foundation year counts as thankfully.

I won't be using Medify again if I have to/decide to as it just wasn't accurate.

What do you use to revise? I used Medify solely.

I wish you the best of luck for UKCAT btw!
Cambridge accept alternatives to the same level, which my foundation year counts as thankfully.

I won't be using Medify again if I have to/decide to as it just wasn't accurate.

What do you use to revise? I used Medify solely.

I wish you the best of luck for UKCAT btw!

I used medify last year solely too!! Got 650. This year I've been using the Isc book and I made some notes for qr from last year which got me 730 in the exam so sticking to those . For Vr I'm using a variety of sources including medify and ukcat ninja . Aww thank you I need i this is my 3rd time applying.
I used medify last year solely too!! Got 650. This year I've been using the Isc book and I made some notes for qr from last year which got me 730 in the exam so sticking to those . For Vr I'm using a variety of sources including medify and ukcat ninja . Aww thank you I need i this is my 3rd time applying.

Not heard of UKCAT Ninja, I'll have to have a ganders at it! ... 3rd times a charm, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Sorry just realised I forgot to answer your earlier questions, but unfortunately no I can't afford to fund 5 year medicine. Plus my GCSE's are nothing special at all, I dont think I even got one A back in school, I didn't like hard work back then at all haha.

If I have to apply again next year I'll do the BMAT and apply for Oxford and Imperial. As well as the UKCAT.

If both those fail I'll just study in Europe instead.
Hi all,

first year GEM here (yay!) so I was in your shoes this time last year. Good luck getting those applications in. If you haven't already seen it get yourself over to figure 1. Its an app on smart phones with tons of clinical cases designed for students to learn using real examples, plus it gives you an idea for what interests you. It's free and really easy to use.

Click here to sign up: http://download.figure1.com/fall2016?utm_campaign=dalzelly

Good luck with the applications and any questions drop me a PM
Original post by neuronerd
Hi all,

first year GEM here (yay!) so I was in your shoes this time last year. Good luck getting those applications in. If you haven't already seen it get yourself over to figure 1. Its an app on smart phones with tons of clinical cases designed for students to learn using real examples, plus it gives you an idea for what interests you. It's free and really easy to use.

Click here to sign up: http://download.figure1.com/fall2016?utm_campaign=dalzelly

Good luck with the applications and any questions drop me a PM

This is a great app and I recommend it to everyone I work with! Very interesting cases across a wide range of specialities.
Reply 1392
Anyone know people with 2:1 that got into Bart's? Seems like it's pointless to no matter how high your UKCAT to apply. Some guy on another thread had 800+ and a 2:1 and didn't even get an interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is a dumb question, but some other student said something to make me panic so I thought to task.

Im second year biomed,
So i would apply in third year to start after I graduate, and not applying in second year, as someone just tried to convince me?

Ty

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rasillon
This is a dumb question, but some other student said something to make me panic so I thought to task.

Im second year biomed,
So i would apply in third year to start after I graduate, and not applying in second year, as someone just tried to convince me?

Ty

Posted from TSR Mobile

You absolutely do not need to apply now, you apply just as you start 3rd year.. ignore whoever told you that.
Original post by rayrk
Anyone know people with 2:1 that got into Bart's? Seems like it's pointless to no matter how high your UKCAT to apply. Some guy on another thread had 800+ and a 2:1 and didn't even get an interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What thread is that mate?
You absolutely do not need to apply now, you apply just as you start 3rd year.. ignore whoever told you that.

Well no, if they want to start straight after their current degree they need to have sat the entrance exam this year... If GAMSAT, the chance has already passed. Applications via UCAS for 2017 entry need to be in before the deadline in October (next month). So you apply after final year has started yes but you need to have sat the entrance exam this year, not the summer you graduate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Themightylaa
Well no, if they want to start straight after their current degree they need to have sat the entrance exam this year... If GAMSAT, the chance has already passed. Applications via UCAS for 2017 entry need to be in before the deadline in October (next month). So you apply after final year has started yes but you need to have sat the entrance exam this year, not the summer you graduate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No.. they are only now going into 2nd year, so they won't graduate until August 2018, so they need to sit the UKCAT in June-October 2017, so they've got plenty of time
No.. they are only now going into 2nd year, so they won't graduate until August 2018, so they need to sit the UKCAT in June-October 2017, so they've got plenty of time

Ahh my bad, read it as they were 2nd year about to start 3rd... Keep forgetting that the new term has already started for current students! Apologies.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone know if it would be suicide to apply to Barts with a 1st but low UKCAT (637)? I was reading last years thread seemed like some people got interviews with 1st and UKCAT of 650....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending