The Student Room Group

Havin lectures one after the other in different buildings.

Hi all,

I wasn't really sure what forum to post this in so I decided to post it here just because I'm doing an engineer course.

Basically, just as the title says - I'm going to Strathclyde university in Glasgow which has a large campus spread over quite a few blocks in the city centre.

I only got my timetable today and noticed that I have back to back lectures some days that are in different buildings. Is this normal? I just hate to think that some lectures will start without me and I'm going to always have to walk in late to them.

Hell, I think there's even one day where I have 2 lectures back to back in the same subject and they're held in different buildings.

What is that all about?
That's strange but will there be other people with the same time table? If so the lecturer should be informed that everyone will be a bit late haha maybe it'd be worth emailing the course administer to ask about it?
Original post by Squire1998
Hi all,

I wasn't really sure what forum to post this in so I decided to post it here just because I'm doing an engineer course.

Basically, just as the title says - I'm going to Strathclyde university in Glasgow which has a large campus spread over quite a few blocks in the city centre.

I only got my timetable today and noticed that I have back to back lectures some days that are in different buildings. Is this normal? I just hate to think that some lectures will start without me and I'm going to always have to walk in late to them.

Hell, I think there's even one day where I have 2 lectures back to back in the same subject and they're held in different buildings.

What is that all about?

This is normal for uni life. It's based on the availability of staff with respect to the locations they work at.
Reply 3
Original post by Hevachan
That's strange but will there be other people with the same time table? If so the lecturer should be informed that everyone will be a bit late haha maybe it'd be worth emailing the course administer to ask about it?

Yeah, I was thinking it was very strange too. I'm guessing it will be the same case for a hell of a lot of people haha.
Luckily, I'm heading in today for a induction so I can ask then. I just didn't want to think I was gonna ask a dumb question. Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
This is normal for uni life. It's based on the availability of staff with respect to the locations they work at.

Cool, so I'm not gonna get daggers every time I walk into a lecture 5 mins late?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi all,

What is that all about?

It happens quite often when classes have different student numbers so need specific lecture room sizes (and/or facilities) and they have to be timetabled in adjacent slots. It will happen more if you have chosen an unusual combination of subjects, because timetabling will try to prioritise the larger classes to fit best. However, if they have to timetable popular classes like that, you can be sure that lots of people will be making the same shift and you won't be the only one late. Some lecturers will soon pick up if a lot of people are having a move like that and may start 5 minutes late already.
Cool, so I'm not gonna get daggers every time I walk into a lecture 5 mins late?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Probably not. But if you do, my advice would be to toughen up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Exact same at my uni. Lectures end 5 min before to let people get to their next lecture, and also starts from 5 min from the hour to allow people to travel to the other side of campus - (10min) so its not a big issue, lectures know most of the time. However, if your time frame is bigger than that, you get daggers in your direction.
I have the same issue but it isnt much of an issue. just let your course coordinator know and he/she will notify lecturers that you may be slightly late
Hi all,

What is that all about?

I've moved this to the University Life forum as it's not really an engineering issue.

Anyway, chances are that lots more people will be in the same situation. It's not uncommon for this to occur in universities that are spread about, and it rarely, if ever, causes an issue because the preceding lecture usually finishes a few minutes early and the next lecturer will soon catch on, if they're not immediately or already informed, that students are travelling from a different building.
Thats why lectures finish 10 minutes early
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Probably not. But if you do, my advice would be to toughen up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not really a question of "being tougher". It's more that I just don't want to be inconsiderate and disturb other people trying to learn.
Hi all,

What is that all about?

Yes it is normal. It's because the lecturer(s) need to be free, all the students on the course need to be free and a suitably sized room needs to be available and sometimes the three don't come together except straight after another lecture. Certainly at my former uni lectures only lasted 50 minutes to allow for some travel time. However I do remember one lecture in first year that I and a group of students on my course used to be late for as we had to get from the other side of campus which took 15 minutes to walk, no-one batted an eye lid about us walking in 5 mins late every time and we didn't miss much. And as long as you walk in quietly you won't disturb others really.
Yes it happens a lot.
Most lectures are meant to end at 10 to - but when this doesn't happen that's when you may be late. And yes, some lecturers will be mad. One of ours got constantly mad even though we all told her the others over-ran.
Just roll with it.
It's not really a question of "being tougher". It's more that I just don't want to be inconsiderate and disturb other people trying to learn.

It's not particularly distracting. Don't worry.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Talk to your course rep tutor and course leader that might get things sorted

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd explain these circumstances to your lecturer at the end of the first session, and apologise for your unavoidable lateness. Universities tend to give higher regard to the lecturers' schedules than to the students'.
I'd email my lecture and explain the situation etc, its best to warn them in advance. Most likely, your eyes not the only one in this situation anyway.

At my university, lectures usually finish 5/10 minutes early.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending