The Student Room Group

AQA FP4 or M3? Applying for chemistry

I'm applying for chemistry this year with FM as a 4th A level, so I want to do the most useful modules.
I know its a bit of overkill for chemistry but I do enjoy learning A level maths :colondollar:

I am set on FP2 & FP3 so its either FP4 or M3 as a third module.
I don't want to do stats as I found S1 really really boring.
The problem is that M3 doesn't have lectures.
I am teaching myself further maths with FMSP live online lectures.

I struggle with mechanics but I am also not too keen on matrices (From FP1 experience). I was set on doing M3 but after speaking to one of my maths teachers he said FP4 is a lot easier.
I want to do well in FM (I'm aiming for an A) so I feel like doing M3 would be a bad choice.
I don't know whether its worth the struggle even though I do enjoy mechanics when it all clicks.
Tbh I'm not sure whether I'd struggle more with mechanics compared to FP4.

Opinions on FP4 & M3 anyone?

EDIT: I think I might do FP2, FP3, S2 instead :redface: I'm so indecisive.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi
I know you literally said you don't wanna do it - but I am gonna have to urge you to consider S2. M3 & FP4 are fairly advanced units which would be mostly useful to someone interested in degrees in physics (M3), engineering (both) or maths (FP4). As a chemistry student, I think 3 FP units will set you up nicely for the pure maths involved (a lot of differential equations in chem) and mechanics is of limited use in chemistry. Statistics is useful throughout the sciences and general life and also I kinda feel S2 would be more interesting and useful than S1 by a fair ol' bit. There is also the consideration that S2 is a MUCH easier unit than the other 2. The only people sitting FP4 and M3 will be extreme A2 further maths guys like yourself, in S2 there will be a large cohort of people sitting S2 as their second year applied option (single maths people)- this is gonna translate to ez(ier) ums and help you get that 1 hunna.
At the end of the day, it's your choice - I agree that S2 might be a bit more boring than the other 2, but it's gonna be the most useful IMO and definitely the easiest. Why not go for the * eh?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Pentaquark
I'm doing Further Maths as a 4th A level this year.
I'm applying for chemistry this year, so I want to do the most useful modules.
I know its a bit of overkill for chemistry but I do enjoy learning A level maths :colondollar:

I am set on FP2 & FP3 so its either FP4 or M3 as a third module.
I don't want to do stats as I found S1 really really boring.
The problem is that M3 doesn't have lectures.
I am teaching myself further maths with FMSP live online lectures.

I struggle with mechanics but I am also not too keen on matrices (From FP1 experience). I was set on doing M3 but after speaking to one of my maths teachers he said FP4 is a lot easier.
I want to do well in FM (I'm aiming for an A) so I feel like doing M3 would be a bad choice. I don't know whether its worth the struggle even though I do enjoy mechanics when it all clicks.

Opinions on FP4 & M3 anyone?

I've done both this year and here's what I think.

M3 is straight forward, I'd say, but you might struggle with relative velocity's geometric approach as many student's do. This year's exam for it was really bad (53/75 for A*) so next year's should be much better. Also there isn't as many resources for M3 AQA, there are no official ones either.

FP4 requires more thinking as you're dealing with 3x3 matrices, 3D transformations, planes, shortest distances and vectors are all throughout the module.

Personally I'd recommend FP4 but it's up to you which one you'd work better with. Also since you're doing the other FP modules, I assume you enjoy pure maths so go for FP4. Neither will benefit chemistry.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by k.russell
Hi
I know you literally said you don't wanna do it - but I am gonna have to urge you to consider S2. M3 & FP4 are fairly advanced units which would be mostly useful to someone interested in degrees in physics (M3), engineering (both) or maths (FP4). As a chemistry student, I think 3 FP units will set you up nicely for the pure maths involved (a lot of differential equations in chem) and mechanics is of limited use in chemistry. Statistics is useful throughout the sciences and general life and also I kinda feel S2 would be more interesting and useful than S1 by a fair ol' bit. There is also the consideration that S2 is a MUCH easier unit than the other 2. The only people sitting FP4 and M3 will be extreme A2 further maths guys like yourself, in S2 there will be a large cohort of people sitting S2 as their second year applied option (single maths people)- this is gonna translate to ez(ier) ums and help you get that 1 hunna.
At the end of the day, it's your choice - I agree that S2 might be a bit more boring than the other 2, but it's gonna be the most useful IMO and definitely the easiest. Why not go for the * eh?

:colondollar: oh now I'm considering S2 again.
I mean I do want to make my life a bit easier.
I'm not aiming for the A* as I don't think I'm that good at maths lol
Thank you! I'll bear all that in mind.

Well I'm sure you have a shot at the A* :smile:
I would definitely consider S2, even if you are 'only' aiming for an A. FP2,FP3,FP4/M3 are both pretty damn brutal combinations and it's a lot to risk for the gain of some maths skills you will (probably) never get to use at uni and just forget

If you're looking for the module that'll be most relevant to your course then I'd definitely go with S2. Otherwise pick the one you most enjoy/will do best at.
Reply 6
Original post by k.russell
Well I'm sure you have a shot at the A* :smile:
I would definitely consider S2, even if you are 'only' aiming for an A. FP2,FP3,FP4/M3 are both pretty damn brutal combinations and it's a lot to risk for the gain of some maths skills you will (probably) never get to use at uni and just forget

You've converted me. I've pretty much decided on FP2, FP3, S2 now.
I guess maybe an A* could be within my reach if I try really really hard :colondollar:
Makes my life a bit easier I hope!
You've converted me. I've pretty much decided on FP2, FP3, S2 now.
I guess maybe an A* could be within my reach if I try really really hard :colondollar:
Makes my life a bit easier I hope!

inspirational kid 2k16
I'm doing FP1, FP2, S1 & S2 atm on my gap year - I'm edexcel though so FP3 was basically like FP4 for you. I could've chosen to do FP3 or M3, but I decided to go for stats mainly because of the relevance to science degrees - good luck with your application and stuff, I'm going to study chem & biology hopefully

Quick Reply

Latest