The Student Room Group

PGDE Applications 2017 (Scotland)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by lizzydripping152
I've managed to get some work experience in a secondary school for children with special needs. Before I can start, I have to have a DBS check - which will be fine.

I will be a teacher's assistant (voluntary/placement) - Do you think this would be okay for work experience to put down for PGDE (secondary)?

I think that sounds really relevant! Definitely something to put into your application :smile:
Thanks for all of your replies, you have all been really helpful. Also, apologies for hijacking the post! Hope all of your applications go well :smile:
Hi, does anyone know if having specific 'classroom' experience is necessary? I have looooads of experience with young people in different settings but not so much typically in the classroom (although I did tutor pupils younger than me when I was in secondary school). Just worried I don't have enough experience in a 'typical' classroom setting..although I can't understand why it would be totally necessary as I have stuff that is a bit different!
Reply 63
Hi everyone,

Just trying to start my ucas form just now. Would love to get into Edinburgh but also applying to Dundee, Glasgow and Strathclyde - I figure if its only 9 months I might be able to survive the travelling and juggle childcare somehow. I am looking to get into primary teaching after quitting banking a few years back. I have a first class hons degree, and higher maths and english at B. I've run a girlguiding unit for 3 years and helped out on an adhoc basis at a local primary school but nothing on a regular basis. I've emailed the admissions dept and their advice is to get regular classroom based experience - so I guess that's my next step.

Have been looking at the facebook group and also the festival of learning looks interesting - so thanks for the info.

Quite daunting though - apparently over 1500 applications for about 150 spaces in Edinburgh :-/

Good luck folks xx
Hey everyone! I was just wondering if anyone has broken down their relevant experience into number of hours and days etc for their personal statement? It seems a bit much to ask considering how little space we get!
Reply 65
Original post by jacqlang
Hi everyone,

Just trying to start my ucas form just now. Would love to get into Edinburgh but also applying to Dundee, Glasgow and Strathclyde - I figure if its only 9 months I might be able to survive the travelling and juggle childcare somehow. I am looking to get into primary teaching after quitting banking a few years back. I have a first class hons degree, and higher maths and english at B. I've run a girlguiding unit for 3 years and helped out on an adhoc basis at a local primary school but nothing on a regular basis. I've emailed the admissions dept and their advice is to get regular classroom based experience - so I guess that's my next step.

Have been looking at the facebook group and also the festival of learning looks interesting - so thanks for the info.

Quite daunting though - apparently over 1500 applications for about 150 spaces in Edinburgh :-/

Good luck folks xx

That all sounds fab! I think you'll have a really good application. and congratulations on your first!
Reply 66
Original post by Millipede2013
Hey everyone! I was just wondering if anyone has broken down their relevant experience into number of hours and days etc for their personal statement? It seems a bit much to ask considering how little space we get!

I've just written "one morning per week" and that sort of thing. I think they'll appreciate how little space we get!
Hey guys!! I want to apply for 2017 to study the PGDE in Scotland. I'm originally from Ireland but at the minute I'm teaching in a primary school in Terrassa (just outside Barcelona) and doing a TEFL course. I have a 2:1 degree in French and Intercultural Studies and I thought about doing a secondary but I think Primary is more my thing. I've been thinking about my choices and so far it's Dundee, Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Strathclyde and Glasgow (in that order). I don't know if I should switch this around or not. Does anybody know which is the best uni to study Primary in?? :smile:
Original post by Deebutton
Hey guys!! I want to apply for 2017 to study the PGDE in Scotland. I'm originally from Ireland but at the minute I'm teaching in a primary school in Terrassa (just outside Barcelona) and doing a TEFL course. I have a 2:1 degree in French and Intercultural Studies and I thought about doing a secondary but I think Primary is more my thing. I've been thinking about my choices and so far it's Dundee, Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Strathclyde and Glasgow (in that order). I don't know if I should switch this around or not. Does anybody know which is the best uni to study Primary in?? :smile:

I'm not quite sure which is the best uni for primary but I do know a lot of Irish students study at the UWS. Glasgow and Edinburgh probably have some of the highest reputations tbh :smile: x
Hi! Just catching up on your posts. I will be applying to same universities as you! I applied two years ago and never got in, 480 applications and only like 100 spaces! I also work in a bank ha! Xx
Original post by Danzypoo92
I'm not quite sure which is the best uni for primary but I do know a lot of Irish students study at the UWS. Glasgow and Edinburgh probably have some of the highest reputations tbh :smile: x

Thank you so much. That does help a lot. I just want to make sure I put down the right options. I still have time to think about it xx
Hey again.

Does anybody know anything about funding in Scotland?
Original post by Deebutton
Hey again.

Does anybody know anything about funding in Scotland?

Check the saas website it's all on there. Or check the uni websites you're interested in :smile:
I am slightly worried about universities looking for classroom experience. I have 5 years experience working in childcare and 8 mo the classroom experience in a nursery and would wondering if this might be overlooked because it's not in a primary school or would classroom experience in a classroom be accounted for? Some advice would be appreciated 😊
I am slightly worried about universities wanting classroom experience. Does this have to be in a primary school or would experience in a nursery also be accepted? I have 5 years experience working in childcare and 8 months within a classroom of s local nursery. Would this classroom experience be overlooked because it's not primary? I have contacted schools for classroom experience just for more added security.
Original post by LJ107
I've just written "one morning per week" and that sort of thing. I think they'll appreciate how little space we get!

Thanks :smile: I'm struggling to cut down my statement whilst still getting my passion and personality across!
Original post by Danzypoo92
Ah perfect! That's exactly what I was thinking! :smile: do you happen to have the link for that festival? I was looking at it a couple weeks ago but completely forgot to bookmark it.

Hey, just thought I would give you a wee update. I called UWS today and they have now given me different advice. The person on the phone advised to get in the application as soon as possible as she said it is competitive and can fill up fast Really different to the last piece of advice they gave! Have most people already submitted their application?
Reply 77
Original post by Millipede2013
Hey, just thought I would give you a wee update. I called UWS today and they have now given me different advice. The person on the phone advised to get in the application as soon as possible as she said it is competitive and can fill up fast Really different to the last piece of advice they gave! Have most people already submitted their application?

I sent mine away yesterday but I have only applied to Dundee and have heard that they don't start looking at applications until later (unlike some other Unis). I forgot what it was like to be checking emails and Track constantly haha.
Reply 78
Original post by JodieL101
Hi,
I know I'm early but I was just wondering if anyone is applying for PDGE teaching for 2017?? I graduated from Uni last year with an ordinary degree in marketing, I didn't stay on for 4th year as I got a graduate job within Bank of Scotland.. Turns it I absolutely hate it!! So decided to turn to my dreams and become a primary teacher. I am currently working one day a week within my local primary school and I am loving it!! Only downfall is that I am studying my national 5 maths and higher english at college (around my full time job!) Judging by other forums I am assuming I have no chance with two qualifications pending and an ordinary degree... :frown:? I was really hoping to get in as I hate my job but can't quit as the hours suit my college and voluntary work needs. I am willing to travel anywhere in Scotland to pursue teaching.. Just wondering if anyone is in the same boat as me?

Hi Jodie, I applied last year (2016) for PGDE and got as far an interview stage at Aberdeen but as I've family commitments I hadn't applied to anywhere else. I have an ordinary degree and a scrape past in my Maths & English so that honestly won't be a problem for you. The biggest thing the Uni looks for is classroom time....I volunteer by running two after-schools clubs as the only thing I can do due to full time working and the after schools clubs weren't enough. I needed to get time in a classroom which was not the easiest as many schools were disinterested but I managed to get a week split over two schools and that was fine. Where I really failed was the interview and presentation. It was a 3min presentation on a topic I was sent a TED talk about and then a 25mins interview where the interviewers were totally uninterested in my life and experiences, they wanted to know about my views on CfE, outdoor learning, issues facing teachers today and what to do regarding the teacher shortages. I thought I was prepared but nowhere near enough! Read up loads on the current issues on teaching websites and be able to quote and to name the sources (websites or journals) that you got the information from. I found it a really tough half hour but had been advised Aberdeen are strict as over 4000 applicants for 120 spaces. Good luck!
Original post by JodieL101
Hi! I'm applying for Strathclyde, Aberdeen, Dundee & UWS.. Unsure if I'll get accepted into Glasgow so tempted to applying to University of the Highland and islands! How are you getting on with everything?

Please don't apply there! As a Highlander, UHI has a terrible reputation. Strathclyde's course is meant to be great though, as is UWS, not too sure about the others. Have you thought about Stirling? I hear theirs is good.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending