The Student Room Group

investment banking summer internship q&a

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gr8wizard10

staffed means getting given work

no regular working day, start at 9 and end whenever I'm done

just mainly knowing technicals and gaining proficiency with excel and PowerPoint again. strategy: work hard and check work 5x before handing it in

corp fin & m&a industry coverage (all grads go into the cohort pool anyway and we work across industries/products)

I assume it's conditional but didn't see that on the contract, that being said I haven't read it properly

thank you

Awesome, cheers mate :smile:
Reply 121
thank you,

did around 7-8 insights at major banks during y13

pre-uni summer worked at a 3rd tier ib in BO
3 fo sws at 3 bbs and 1 2nd tier
1st year summer internship in fo bb (trading & m&a rotations)

and got my penultimate year from converting my spring week

Thanks for another reply
Could I ask how you found the insight days during anything other than summer holidays? Currently I can only find insight days during the summer. Did The Brokerage Citylink help you in acquiring these insight days? Were these insight days open to those not in The Brokerage Citylink programme?
A further question - the pre-uni summer work exp at the 3rd tier ib in BO you have completed was found how exactly? With help from The Brokerage or did you find that 3rd tier IB yourself? If so, did you know about this IB or did you find that it had work experience at its BO in the summer?
Thank you v much for the help
Original post by Vl7d
Thanks for another reply
Could I ask how you found the insight days during anything other than summer holidays? Currently I can only find insight days during the summer. Did The Brokerage Citylink help you in acquiring these insight days? Were these insight days open to those not in The Brokerage Citylink programme?
A further question - the pre-uni summer work exp at the 3rd tier ib in BO you have completed was found how exactly? With help from The Brokerage or did you find that 3rd tier IB yourself? If so, did you know about this IB or did you find that it had work experience at its BO in the summer?
Thank you v much for the help

student ladder is a very useful resource which is where I found most insight programmes

the brokerage was the link for a first round interview at the first bank I interned at before I began uni
Do you live near your workplace? How long does it take you to travel to work?
Original post by Trapz99
Do you live near your workplace? How long does it take you to travel to work?

30 minute travel time

best advised to live as close as possible
30 minute travel time

Would you go above the 30 mins as an Analyst? Assuming an hour is going to be too long until maybe you're an Associate or VP?

Also, are you moving out of the hood when you start full-time? If so, how much you planning to spend on rent?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Commercial Paper
Would you go above the 30 mins as an Analyst? Assuming an hour is going to be too long until maybe you're an Associate or VP?

Also, are you moving out of the hood when you start full-time? If so, how much you planning to spend on rent?

Posted from TSR Mobile

wouldn't go above that

haven't thought about it yet
Reply 127
student ladder is a very useful resource which is where I found most insight programmes

the brokerage was the link for a first round interview at the first bank I interned at before I began uni

Thanks for the reply. Btw do you know which banks do spring insight days apart from the BBs for students i.e. y12/13. Did you do any insights at Boutique IBs?
Original post by Vl7d
Thanks for the reply. Btw do you know which banks do spring insight days apart from the BBs for students i.e. y12/13. Did you do any insights at Boutique IBs?

there are 0 that have insight days.

only ones iirc are MS, CS, JPM, Nomura, BAML, HSBC and new for this yr BNPP.

Posted from TSR Mobile
30 minute travel time

Is 30 minutes a short commute in london?
Original post by Vl7d

no, i have never stepped foot in a boutique in my life

Original post by Gladiatorsword
Is 30 minutes a short commute in london?

you want between a 0-15 min commute tbh, sleep is your biggest commodity
Reply 131
thank you,

did around 7-8 insights at major banks during y13

pre-uni summer worked at a 3rd tier ib in BO
3 fo sws at 3 bbs and 1 2nd tier
1st year summer internship in fo bb (trading & m&a rotations)

and got my penultimate year from converting my spring week

Just to take you back to this sorry but the 2Fo sws at the 3bbs and one 2nd tier was in the pre-uni summer correct? As well as working in the 3rd tier ib in the bo?
Reply 132
Original post by Princepieman
there are 0 that have insight days.

only ones iirc are MS, CS, JPM, Nomura, BAML, HSBC and new for this yr BNPP.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the reply princepie
Are you sure all of them do spring insights? From what I know, I thought that only nomura does spring insights, with the rest doing exclusively summers.
Reply 133
no, i have never stepped foot in a boutique in my life

With that being said, what do you mean or what is your classification of a 3rd tier ib? As I imagine 2nd tier are the likes of HSBC RBS etc.
Original post by Vl7d
Just to take you back to this sorry but the 2Fo sws at the 3bbs and one 2nd tier was in the pre-uni summer correct? As well as working in the 3rd tier ib in the bo?

progression like this

pre uni: insight days + one 3rd tier ib summer interhsip (bo)
1st year uni: 3 sws (all 3 were fo's) + one bb fo summer internship
2nd year: bb fo summer internship

Original post by Vl7d
With that being said, what do you mean or what is your classification of a 3rd tier ib? As I imagine 2nd tier are the likes of HSBC RBS etc.

think credit agricole, jefferies, socgen, mitstubushi ufj types
Original post by Vl7d
Thanks for the reply princepie
Are you sure all of them do spring insights? From what I know, I thought that only nomura does spring insights, with the rest doing exclusively summers.

Oh, why should it matter if it's spring or summer? I would apply to all and try to attend as many as you can.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 136
Oh, why should it matter if it's spring or summer? I would apply to all and try to attend as many as you can.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Trust me haha it doesn't - I am applying for as many as I can I am not picky I am trying to do both springs and summers. I just want to know which I should apply for at which time periods i.e. I know that spring and summer apps open at different times. Also, I do not want to miss any insights that are in spring that I am not aware of, hence me asking which are available in spring. I just thought there'd probably be a few I am not aware of in spring that I would want to do.
Original post by Vl7d
Trust me haha it doesn't - I am applying for as many as I can I am not picky I am trying to do both springs and summers. I just want to know which I should apply for at which time periods i.e. I know that spring and summer apps open at different times. Also, I do not want to miss any insights that are in spring that I am not aware of, hence me asking which are available in spring. I just thought there'd probably be a few I am not aware of in spring that I would want to do.

Ah, my advice is to chill out. Check firms websites periodically maybe do some googling, but don't be stressed so much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 138
Ah, my advice is to chill out. Check firms websites periodically maybe do some googling, but don't be stressed so much.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yh I currently already do that but I know most will open next month for summer insights and programs. That is why I was thinking if I should apply to anywhere other than BBs hence talk of boutique ibs earlier.
Thanks for the advice it is appreciated
Reply 139

Posted from TSR Mobile

Btw do you think the HSBC work exp program is worth it? I was interested in it now but now it seems pointless as its a 1-2 week program that includes retail banking, commercial banking, ops, tech, and WM. But this is 1-2 weeks term time and is it worth missing so much school for this?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending