The Student Room Group

The Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2017!

It's taken a bit of a while but here's a thread for the upcoming season! I know there's at least some firms opening their window in a week's time so here's as good a place as any for anyone and everyone to discuss applications and such.

I'll be applying to mainly MC, SC, US and some City firms, but aiming to only do 10-11 max. How many/where are you all applying for?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by -TheSpecialOne-
It's taken a bit of a while but here's a thread for the upcoming season! I know there's at least some firms opening their window in a week's time so here's as good a place as any for anyone and everyone to discuss applications and such.

I'll be applying to mainly MC, SC, US and some City firms, but aiming to only do 10-11 max. How many/where are you all applying for?

Hey- planning to make around 10 applications too- do you know any other firms that open next week besides Jones Day? Thanks

Which firms are opening next week? **
Original post by grisham
Hey- planning to make around 10 applications too- do you know any other firms that open next week besides Jones Day? Thanks

Ashurst and PwC Legal do, not sure if there are any others atm.
Hey, I expect I'll be a regular in this thread and have followed the law section on this forum for a while. I will be looking to apply to most of the magic circle, the silver circle, some U.S firms and other city outfits such as RPC, Reed Smith, BLP etc. Will also apply to PWC legal, so around about 12-15 applications max I think. What's everyone doing to prepare for applications aside from the obvious sources?
Reply 5
Hey all,

I'm both nervous and excited for the upcoming year!

Looking to apply to - Shearman, Sidley, Jones Day, Watson Farley, Slaughter and May, Freshfields, Norton Rose, Deveboise.

Will definitely be applying to PCW Legal too, plus a few more depending on how much I can fit in.

Best of luck to everyone :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Hey all - I've been lucky enough to already secure a TC for 2019 at Clifford Chance, but I'll hang around this thread to share my experiences of interviewing successfully at CC, Slaughter and May and Pinsent Masons + try to answer general app questions. The 2016 thread was super useful to me so I'll try my best to help people where I can - just quote me!
Original post by dlaiden
Hey all - I've been lucky enough to already secure a TC for 2019 at Clifford Chance, but I'll hang around this thread to share my experiences of interviewing successfully at CC, Slaughter and May and Pinsent Masons + try to answer general app questions. The 2016 thread was super useful to me so I'll try my best to help people where I can - just quote me!

Well done on your TC! CC would definitely be a dream for me so fingers crossed I have a good chance. How did you feel you got on with your application/interview technique?
Original post by dlaiden

Repped.

I also have secured a TC this year, with Slaughters, but I'll also be about on this thread if anyone has any questions. I also completed a Vacation Scheme at Linklaters, and turned down a scheme at Hogan Lovells. Much like the above poster I'm very grateful to users of TSR throughout the years, so would like to help if possible.
Original post by *Stefan*
Hey all,

I'm both nervous and excited for the upcoming year!

Looking to apply to - Shearman, Sidley, Jones Day, Watson Farley, Slaughter and May, Freshfields, Norton Rose, Deveboise.

Will definitely be applying to PCW Legal too, plus a few more depending on how much I can fit in.

Best of luck to everyone :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Very 'blue blood'-esque names you have up there m8

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Princepieman
Very 'blue blood'-esque names you have up there m8

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, I have Watson Farley and Norton Rose in there doe :wink: I'm actively considering the risk factor and may make changes as time goes by.

[How did results go btw? Hope everything's gone according to plan man!]
(edited 7 years ago)
Well, I have Watson Farley and Norton Rose in there doe :wink: I'm actively considering the risk factor and may make changes as time goes by.

[How did results go btw? Hope everything's gone according to plan man!]

Fair, not too heavily weighted then :tongue:

Lol, was a disaster, missed Warwick and Bristol's offers. Managed Swansea for CompSci in clearing but won't back down with my plans, gotta keep pushing through.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by Princepieman
Fair, not too heavily weighted then :tongue:

Lol, was a disaster, missed Warwick and Bristol's offers. Managed Swansea for CompSci in clearing but won't back down with my plans, gotta keep pushing through.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah... normally I'd say sorry, but I won't because I know you'll make the better of it!

Stay strong man!
Ah... normally I'd say sorry, but I won't because I know you'll make the better of it!

Stay strong man!

Thanks man!

Good luck with Vac Scheme apps, definitely tell me how they go :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is there a website for when all the firms start accepting apps?

Are there any firms that automatically reject previously unsuccessful TC applications?
Reply 15
Original post by lawyer3c
Is there a website for when all the firms start accepting apps?

Are there any firms that automatically reject previously unsuccessful TC applications?

Most of those pages are from last year unfortunately.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pulse.
Most of those pages are from last year unfortunately.

Thanks. I guess it is quite early considering the latest TC app cycle hasn't even ended yet. :tongue:
Hey,

Congrats on CC! Do you have any specific advice especially for CC's application questions and how to get past the psychometric testing?

Thanks
Well done on your TC! CC would definitely be a dream for me so fingers crossed I have a good chance. How did you feel you got on with your application/interview technique?

Thank you! Happy to answer any questions you might have on applying to CC/my experiences with the firm.

I made sure to do a lot of research into each firm I applied to (talking to trainees, going to open days, insight events) and I think that this definitely paid off in helping me narrow down which specific firms to apply to and in being able to show a valid, demonstrable interest in that particular firm. It also gave me a point of comparison when writing apps and doing interviews, so I would say that my technique worked very well for me. I will say though that I've always enjoyed interviews and feel that I do well in them, so that helped too.

Original post by lawyer2bb
Hey,

Congrats on CC! Do you have any specific advice especially for CC's application questions and how to get past the psychometric testing?

Thanks

Thanks! The psychometric testing I wouldn't worry about too much as there's only so much you can do to improve your chances for it - practice the Watson Glasers you can get your hands on (even the short ones) and try your best; also helps to remember/know that the pass rate is a fixed low percentage - it was around 30% correct answers when I applied.

For the actual app questions (and this is true for other firms too tbh), always make sure to use the point, evidence + (brief) explain method, as obvious as it sounds. Always make sure to link statements about the firm back to something concrete about yourself instead of randomly listing how their awards in say Asia make you want to work for them, e.g. I didn't just generally talk about the firm's international focus, I linked it to having lived in Western Africa for a bit and talked about how this informed my own international outlook. For the bit on the app which asks you to talk about an area of law you find interesting, definitely do this - I think a lot of people write about something that they think a finance firm like CC would want them to be interested in, rather than something genuine (my interest happened to be in fintech financial regulation, which is under finance but a bit of a niche area!).
Hey all

Definitely going to be a regular on this thread. I am going into final year of my history degree at Warwick and hoping to get a Vacation scheme before landing a TC (personally feel more competitive for them). I plan on applying for PwC Legal and Hogan Lovells but overall want to get 10 applications sent off.

Does anyone know the online questions for PwC Legal from last year? Hopefully an early start will help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending