The Student Room Group

Question about Matlab software

Hey,
I'm starting maths bsc soon and part of my course involves using matlab, while it is on the university computers, I was wondering if anyone knows the specifications my laptop would need to run it as I am looking to buy one this week.
Thanks in advance!
I can't tell you the exact specifications but it's quite beefy and generally takes several hours to download so be prepared for that.

You should also note that, before buying it, the university should provide it to you for free, so wait until term starts and make sure they aren't offering it on a student license at your uni.

EDIT: According to the Mathworks website, you need a recent OS (windows 7 upwards for the 2016 versions), any Intel or AMD processor, 4-6GB disk space and 2GB RAM
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JamesT8
Hey,
I'm starting maths bsc soon and part of my course involves using matlab, while it is on the university computers, I was wondering if anyone knows the specifications my laptop would need to run it as I am looking to buy one this week.
Thanks in advance!

You can find the specifications here. Matlab is a pretty resource intensive piece of software though so unless you've got a pretty beefy laptop or you're only running light programs, you'll probably want to make use of the university computers.
Reply 3
Original post by Monsieur M
I can't tell you the exact specifications but it's quite beefy and generally takes several hours to download so be prepared for that.

You should also note that, before buying it, the university should provide it to you for free, so wait until term starts and make sure they aren't offering it on a student license at your uni.

EDIT: According to the Mathworks website, you need a recent OS (windows 7 upwards for the 2016 versions), any Intel or AMD processor, 4-6GB disk space and 2GB RAM

Thanks for the help much appreciated πŸ‘
Reply 4
Original post by Plagioclase
You can find the specifications here. Matlab is a pretty resource intensive piece of software though so unless you've got a pretty beefy laptop or you're only running light programs, you'll probably want to make use of the university computers.

Thanks very much for the advice πŸ‘
Reply 5
If you can get 16GB RAM, that's good. MATLAB is RAM hungry, and RAM is almost always the hardware limiter.

Quick Reply

Latest