The Student Room Group

Should I drop out of university?

Hi guys, I just need some guidance, some help and comfort to know things are going to be ok.I'm 22yrs now, I started university in 2013 and I study Computing Bsc a 3 year course. I have repeated my first year and now going to repeat my 2nd year again meaning I'll graduate by the age of 24.I keep thinking I won't get a job because it took me so long to get the degree, I'm scared to apply for the best apprenticeships as I don't have the required grades/equivalents and a low paid internship at 10k just doesn't seem good to me.I've just been failing because of depression and severe anxiety, even as I type I'm regretting typing...
I.T is the only thing I know, I love all areas, what should I do?
Reply 1
Why are you having to repeat years? I don't think university is the right place for you. Fine repeating once, but twice? You're using up all your student finance. Failing once should have been kick up the backside to work harder.

Drop out of university, find a full time job and clear your head.
Reply 2
If you love IT buckle down and do well in your studies. Go to your university counselling team or your GP for help with your anxiety.
Are you sure you even have enough years of student finance left to fund your degree entirely? It's worth checking.

Either way, drop out and go into a higher apprenticeship. You aren't mentally-prepared for university and hence i'd suggest that you earn some money and gain some experience in the field first, and then re-apply again if you feel up to it.

You also seem to have an odd view about apprenticeships. Especially for the IT industry, higher apprenticeships are a great pathway into a job and in some regards are better than a university degree, as some jobs require hands-on skills and not the theory. It also doesn't limit your earning potential, as after your first job, employers usually only care about your work experience in the field.
As the others are saying above, check with student finance as I believe they'll fund length of course (the intended length) plus 1 year for retakes/withdrawal etc. As you've already used your plus one and an extra I don't think you'll receive funding for your final year (not from student finance anyway)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Ishax
Why are you having to repeat years? I don't think university is the right place for you. Fine repeating once, but twice? You're using up all your student finance. Failing once should have been kick up the backside to work harder.

Drop out of university, find a full time job and clear your head.

This 2nd time, I really did my best and past all modules apart from one which means I can re-take that module or the whole year...
Reply 6
There's no right or wrong here. If you want to leave uni and get a full time job in IT, that's ok and if you want to stay on and get your degree, that's ok too. Just try and figure out what is best for you.
Reply 7
Original post by David Chance
what should I do?

I honestly think we (fellow students on a forum) should be the last people you consult regarding this predicament you feel you are in.

You are NOT/NEVER WILL BE the only student in this position and your university will have facilities to help students through this such as counselling.

Go and speak to your academic advisor, please do not suffer in silence because this way no one can help you.

I have seen some people telling you to drop out and other not. Like I said ignore most of these responses because they will only add to this internal conflict you have.

Please speak to someone.
You should have been making compelling personal reasons claims to SFE in order to preserve your funding years.

If you have clincially diagnosed depression and anxiety and it is affecting your studies (you re failing and repeating), then imo you should suspend your universit studies and get better. maybe ho and get some IT experience, but also get some counseling. Only when you are ready shopuld you go back and then do your best to get a good degree grade. That will give you the max chance of a job.

Its likely you are too close to the situation so id suggest a chat with your tutor, any independent friend who is capable of objective judgement and maybe a Uni advisor. Ay the moment the worst thing you could do is carry on fail or come out with a mediocre degree.
Original post by CCC75
If you love IT buckle down and do well in your studies. Go to your university counselling team or your GP for help with your anxiety.

Thank you, I do plan to continue, and have spoken to my university and sfe regarding the issue
Original post by W. A. Mozart
Are you sure you even have enough years of student finance left to fund your degree entirely? It's worth checking.

Either way, drop out and go into a higher apprenticeship. You aren't mentally-prepared for university and hence i'd suggest that you earn some money and gain some experience in the field first, and then re-apply again if you feel up to it.

You also seem to have an odd view about apprenticeships. Especially for the IT industry, higher apprenticeships are a great pathway into a job and in some regards are better than a university degree, as some jobs require hands-on skills and not the theory. It also doesn't limit your earning potential, as after your first job, employers usually only care about your work experience in the field.

I have spoken to SFE and they have said that I will have to pay for the 1 module that I must repeat this year but they will pay for my last year (third year) although that will technically be my 5th year at university
Hi Guys, thanks for all of your advice and help, I have decided to continue my degree as why regret it later right? I am also looking into apprenticeships as I could possibly study at home for this one module also as its pretty much coursework based.

Just an update on the student finance issue: They won't be supporting me to fund 1 module but thankfully the maintanience loan will help me in covering that alongside my job.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending