The Student Room Group

will probably get 5 rejections

hi. for AS I got bcde, and my teachers predicted me bcd (evil) . I want to apply to a somewhat competitive course at some too unis (Manchester , Southampton, Aston) who want ABB and some less prestige ones too ( Middlesex , de Montfort) who want Bbc/bbb

So all my unis I apply to will be above my predicted grades - I'm going to be rejected by all right? even with a strong personal statement?
I hope I can change my predicted to bcc but doubt it.
It's always possible to get an offer even if the offer is higher than your predicted grades. Sometimes they may even lower your offer if they can see you probably won't get the grades, but still like you based on your personal statement etc.

However this is only a possibility, in reality you have to assume you will get rejected just in case, and apply to ones with lower entry requirements. If I was you I would forget about the ABB ones or if you really were going to, only pick one at the most.
Reply 2
Original post by jordanshelley97
It's always possible to get an offer even if the offer is higher than your predicted grades. Sometimes they may even lower your offer if they can see you probably won't get the grades, but still like you based on your personal statement etc.

However this is only a possibility, in reality you have to assume you will get rejected just in case, and apply to ones with lower entry requirements. If I was you I would forget about the ABB ones or if you really were going to, only pick one at the most.

only 7 or 8 unis do my course tho :frown: lowest requirements r the ones I said^ (only 2) the rest are abb or higher
Original post by anaighj
only 7 or 8 unis do my course tho :frown: lowest requirements r the ones I said^ (only 2) the rest are abb or higher

Either way definitely ask about your predicted grades. At my sixth form they did predicted grades by thinking 'is there at least a 20% chance of you getting this grade' and if yes then that was what you were predicted. This led to most people getting predicted one grade higher than their AS grade in all/most subjects. Personally I was predicted one grade higher in each but I was only a few UMS off that grade at AS anyway so that could have been why. But I find people do better at A2 anyway so I would think you could get a higher predicted grade in at least one subject hopefully
Original post by anaighj
hi. for AS I got bcde, and my teachers predicted me bcd (evil) . I want to apply to a somewhat competitive course at some too unis (Manchester , Southampton, Aston) who want ABB and some less prestige ones too ( Middlesex , de Montfort) who want Bbc/bbb

So all my unis I apply to will be above my predicted grades - I'm going to be rejected by all right? even with a strong personal statement?

Teachers' predicted grades are justified with evidence, and isn't really "evil". The likelihood is that you'd probably get 5 rejections without meeting the requirements via your predicted grades. All you can do now is:

a) beg your teachers for higher predicted grades
b) apply through adjustment with better grades
c) if b) fails, take a gap year and apply with new grades.
Reply 5
Original post by W. A. Mozart
You really have to ask yourself the question: Do I think I can get ABB+ next year?

If the answer is yes, then take a gap year and re-apply with your A2 grades. There is no point in selling yourself short if you are capable of achieving greater. There is a slim chance chance of getting offers when applying to ABB universities with your predicted grades.

If the answer is no, apply to those universities you mentioned. There is a chance that you could get no offers at all, so you may want to take a gap year regardless.

Ultimately, work harder next year, achieve better grades, re-apply. This is the best option.

yeah I know I can do better, I underperformed at AS due to personal issues
Original post by anaighj
yeah I know I can do better, I underperformed at AS due to personal issues

I would definitely re-apply then.

You could apply this year and then see if you can get onto another course via adjustment, but it isn't guaranteed and not all courses will be available to you.

Either way, I wish you the best of luck for this year.
Original post by anaighj

Re-do AS Levels or apply to lower universities.

Also, as someone else said, get the best grades possible in Year 13 and apply post-A2.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
I would definitely re-apply then.

You could apply this year and then see if you can get onto another course via adjustment, but it isn't guaranteed and not all courses will be available to you.

Either way, I wish you the best of luck for this year.

if I do get 5 rejections do I have to use UCAS extra?
Original post by anaighj
if I do get 5 rejections do I have to use UCAS extra?

You can use it, yes. It allows you one more option, but if you get rejected by that one also then you're out of luck until results day when you can use clearing to get onto a course as a last resort.

I also believe that if you get no offers then you cannot use adjustment, so i'd be wary of that if you intend on using adjustment after results day.
Reply 10
Hi. I'm in a similar situation to you. I under performed in my As level and did not do as well I can. so when predicted grades came along i got CCD. I need ABB for the courses i want to apply to but my grades are significantly lower. I think i can do well in my A2 but the question is would I get any offers with this grade. some universities are asking BBB should I apply to these as my first choice. I'm not sure what I can do ? pls help.
You can use it, yes. It allows you one more option, but if you get rejected by that one also then you're out of luck until results day when you can use clearing to get onto a course as a last resort.

I also believe that if you get no offers then you cannot use adjustment, so i'd be wary of that if you intend on using adjustment after results day.

If you are rejected by your first Extra choice, you can keep on trying until either one accepts you or Clearing starts. There isn't a limit.

You are correct about Adjustment. The process for someone with no offers is Clearing.
Original post by hiit'sme
Hi. I'm in a similar situation to you. I under performed in my As level and did not do as well I can. so when predicted grades came along i got CCD. I need ABB for the courses i want to apply to but my grades are significantly lower. I think i can do well in my A2 but the question is would I get any offers with this grade. some universities are asking BBB should I apply to these as my first choice. I'm not sure what I can do ? pls help.

If your predicted grades are CCD, you are not going to get offers from ABB courses, nor from BBB. In your position you need to either a) lower your sights, b) consider a foundation year or c) apply after results, when you hope to have got better results to show to a university.
Oh that's surprising, I didnt know that.

Thanks for letting me know!

Knowledge is power. Extra choices are supposed to give you a decision within 3 weeks so that if you are not going to be accepted, you have time to move on to the next one.
wont let me rep you, but what carnation said.

I'd rather apply from a position of strengt. Get the A2's and then apply with the grades or go the foundation route. All depends how confident you are in your own ability. You need to be honest about that.
Reply 15
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
If your predicted grades are CCD, you are not going to get offers from ABB courses, nor from BBB. In your position you need to either a) lower your sights, b) consider a foundation year or c) apply after results, when you hope to have got better results to show to a university.

is it the same for me too for do you think I have a small chance?
The optimistic way to look at it is if this course is what you really want to do then you'd better up your game and achieve those grades. And if you apply this year hope they interview you anyway. If you come across well they may make you an offer, possibly one lower. If not they reject you and you just have to take a gap year.
Original post by anaighj
is it the same for me too for do you think I have a small chance?

It does no harm to have one (or at most, two) aspirational choices as long as the rest are firmly within your reach, but in honesty, I'd say not much of one. I'd look for universities which make offers in points, which evens out the BCD problem a little.
With your predicted grades, the chances of you getting offers from ABB/BBB universities are low unless you had a really really amazing personal statements.. Even then, I wouldn't risk it, aha. You'd be better off either applying this year to universities with lower entry requirements, applying for a foundation year or just taking a gap year and applying with achieved grades.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending