The Student Room Group

What is Uni Life Like- especially if you are doing Medicine or Subjects Allied to Med

Hey! I just started year 12 and I am very keen to know what life at university is like and especially if you are doing a medicine degree? I am planning on going to a Russel Group university and I would really like some insights into different experiences at different universities :smile:
Original post by Mveeramani0606
Hey! I just started year 12 and I am very keen to know what life at university is like and especially if you are doing a medicine degree? I am planning on going to a Russel Group university and I would really like some insights into different experiences at different universities :smile:

I ll move this to medicine for you, but as far as I m aware going to a Russell group won't make much( if any difference) in your career.
Original post by claireestelle
I ll move this to medicine for you, but as far as I m aware going to a Russell group won't make much( if any difference) in your career.

Really? But aren't they highly regarded because of the extensive research they do??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Really? But aren't they highly regarded because of the extensive research they do??

Posted from TSR Mobile

My medicine ST colleagues will better explain than I do @ForestCat @Beska
But I believe that as training is supposedly meeting certain standards at every university it doesn't really matter as much as it may do in other career.
Reply 4

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey

Medicine is a bit different to other university subjects (we like to keep telling ourselves that) because there's no real such thing as "prestige" or "the best medical school" or anything like that. It doesn't matter what medical school you go to. Each medical school has the exact same minimum standards that all its graduates needs to meet, so each medical school produces doctors that are competent in all areas. This is governed and inspected by the GMC.

The only thing that matters is your experience - although all schools have the same outcomes, the way they teach them can be different. Some have blurred the line between clinical and pre-clinical right from the start, others have a very obvious pre-clinical/clinical divide and others are in between. The way they teach is also different (this largely relates to the first two pre-clinical years, as in the clinical years all medical schools largely "teach" in the same way) - you have lecture-based, PBL, etc.

There's loads of general info here to start with: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine_Forum_Guide_and_FAQs
Your original question was about uni life - there are lots of accounts and blogs out there that I suggest you check out for a detailed account. In short, it will be busy, busier than other subjects, and you might be treated slightly 'apart' from colleagues doing other subjects due to hospital placements etc, but it should also be varied and fun.

If you wanted a more detailed account about my uni, Oxford, just ask.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending