The Student Room Group

Do I pay for the Dentist yet ?

HI guys

So i am 18 and starting university OCtober 1st , im going to get my teeth all checked before i leave , now the NHS says that you do not pay for dentistry if you are :

You do not have to pay for NHS dental treatment if, when your treatment starts, you are:

under 18

under 19 and in full-time education

pregnant or you’ve had a baby within the 12 months before treatment starts

staying in an NHS hospital and the hospital dentist carries out your treatment

an NHS Hospital Dental Service outpatient (although you may have to pay for your dentures or bridges)

Does Uni count as full time education ? Furthermore since this first checkup at least i am not in University yet and have not started where do i lie ? Lastly because my checkups are in a week or two there no way realistically that i can file for a HC3 or HC2 form in time , what would i do then ?

Thanks for any help
Reply 1
I don't think you pay for dentist, but you should get it free as you're under 19 and in full time education. I don't pay, I'm 21 and I'm full time education. Neither do my parents or siblings, never have.

Make sure you fill out the HC3 form in the mean time as it may take time to process etc. Better to be safe, than sorry I guess.
Original post by D Ross
HI guys

So i am 18 and starting university OCtober 1st , im going to get my teeth all checked before i leave , now the NHS says that you do not pay for dentistry if you are :

You do not have to pay for NHS dental treatment if, when your treatment starts, you are:

under 18

under 19 and in full-time education

pregnant or you’ve had a baby within the 12 months before treatment starts

staying in an NHS hospital and the hospital dentist carries out your treatment

an NHS Hospital Dental Service outpatient (although you may have to pay for your dentures or bridges)

Does Uni count as full time education ? Furthermore since this first checkup at least i am not in University yet and have not started where do i lie ? Lastly because my checkups are in a week or two there no way realistically that i can file for a HC3 or HC2 form in time , what would i do then ?

Thanks for any help

The under 19 covers level 3 education so you re on the line really. You could file a hc1 as you ll be paying for prescriptions now so might want to get a hc2 sorted anyway.
Original post by Ishax
I don't think you pay for dentist, but you should get it free as you're under 19 and in full time education. I don't pay, I'm 21 and I'm full time education. Neither do my parents or siblings, never have.

Make sure you fill out the HC3 form in the mean time as it may take time to process etc. Better to be safe, than sorry I guess.

Sounds like you re all on a tax credit exemption certificate in that situation if none of you pay.
Original post by claireestelle
The under 19 covers level 3 education so you re on the line really. You could file a hc1 as you ll be paying for prescriptions now so might want to get a hc2 sorted anyway.

Uni is level 4. But yes, the level doesn't matter.
Original post by Ishax

I'm 20, in full time education and have to pay...
Original post by Tiger Rag
Uni is level 4. But yes, the level doesn't matter.

Really? Wales wanted to charge me after a level results but they are different rules I suppose.
Really? Wales wanted to charge me after a level results but they are different rules I suppose.

Might be different if you're in Wales. But A levels are level 3 and first year of uni is level 4.
Original post by Tiger Rag
Might be different if you're in Wales. But A levels are level 3 and first year of uni is level 4.

The levels are the same but their rule is after a level results you have to pay for the dentist I think to make it fairer with people turning 19 at different times in the academic year.
Reply 9
Sounds like you re all on a tax credit exemption certificate in that situation if none of you pay.

Yeah we have that I think, my parents have the NHS card aswell.
Original post by Mrs House
I'm 20, in full time education and have to pay...

I have the tax credit exemption paper and card. My parents get which gives us all for free. Maybe you could try that? I think it depends on your parents income aswell though.

I've attached a link for you:
http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/1040.aspx
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Ishax
I have the tax credit exemption paper and card. My parents get which gives us all for free. Maybe you could try that? I think it depends on your parents income aswell though.

I've attached a link for you:
http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/1040.aspx

Thank you!:smile:
Thank you!:smile:

Your parents income has to be below 15k to get one and they have to be getting working tax credits.
Your parents income has to be below 15k to get one and they have to be getting working tax credits.

Yeah figured it out later on, oh well, no harm paying twice a year for check ups
Yeah figured it out later on, oh well, no harm paying twice a year for check ups

£40 a year isn't bad at all really :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest