The Student Room Group

Vegan at Uni

Anyone got any tips for being Vegan at University? I'm REALLY Looking forward to it! SUPER Excited! and ESPECIALLY about the cooking and general living part! Shopping, living by myself, budgeting, cooking, having my own room that is like my house. I'm SO Excited! Anyway, been Vegan for 9 months and would like to know any tips for preventing cross contamination in the kitchen. like in the fridge etc? Obviously Pots and pans I'll have my own but fridge is shared? How does that work? Thanks :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Just put stuff in Tupperware if it's a big issue, no need for anything complicated.

Can't see what the issue is to be honest.
One advantage of being vegan in a shared kitchen, is that nobody steals your soya milk. :biggrin: I would get a large plastic box to store your fridge stuff in if you are worried about non-vegan stuff dripping on it, but it shouldn't be a problem. I've found university catering outlets and the SU shop are usually pretty good for vegan food, but if yours isn't, keep asking until they get the message.

Also, vegan mug cakes! I occasionally make a batch of the dry ingredients and store them in individual ziplock bags, so I can have fresh cake in under 2 minutes.
Original post by 96Popcorn
Anyone got any tips for being Vegan at University? I'm REALLY Looking forward to it! SUPER Excited! and ESPECIALLY about the cooking and general living part! Shopping, living by myself, budgeting, cooking, having my own room that is like my house. I'm SO Excited! Anyway, been Vegan for 9 months and would like to know any tips for preventing cross contamination in the kitchen. like in the fridge etc? Obviously Pots and pans I'll have my own but fridge is shared? How does that work? Thanks :biggrin:

Well, you'll probably have your own shelf in the fridge. Just keep the food you're yet to eat in tupperware, which is what people will do anyway. Being vegan won't change how you use the kitchen, as there shouldn't be any cross-contamination with everyday use anyway.
Reply 4
Original post by SophieSmall
Just put stuff in Tupperware if it's a big issue, no need for anything complicated.

Can't see what the issue is to be honest.

The issue is sharing a kitchen with people who eat things that you can't eat. Seems a little obvious, no?

Hi! I'm so excited that you're excited for the independence!

Obviously you'll be using your own equipment to cook which you bring with you so cross contamination shouldn't be much of an issue. And you of course will have your own space in the fridge that shouldn't really come in contact with anyone else's things. But keep in mind general hygiene practices and always clean any surface you'll be working on before and after, and even then I'd make sure to work on a chopping board or other easily cleanable surface that is YOURS.

GOOD LUCK!!
Original post by Wring
The issue is sharing a kitchen with people who eat things that you can't eat. Seems a little obvious, no?

Hi! I'm so excited that you're excited for the independence!

Obviously you'll be using your own equipment to cook which you bring with you so cross contamination shouldn't be much of an issue. And you of course will have your own space in the fridge that shouldn't really come in contact with anyone else's things. But keep in mind general hygiene practices and always clean any surface you'll be working on before and after, and even then I'd make sure to work on a chopping board or other easily cleanable surface that is YOURS.

GOOD LUCK!!

That's not really an issue though. There is no reason their diet should affect hers or vice versa. It's just making a fuss over nothing.

I'm my halls everyone had their own shelf.
I'm confused as to why cross contamination matters in the slightest but ok

They'll be plenty of cupboard space for all of your tins for lentils, coconut milk, grains chickpeas and beans etc :smile: And I had one shelf in the fridge at uni :h: Tuppawear is a good idea to store freshly made food.

If you're worried about your chopping board being used for meat make sure you buy your own and write in permanent marker that its for vegetables only :smile: Your flatmates will understand.
Have you looked into any grants from the vegetarian and vegan society? I'm hoping to apply for one of their "scholarship" type things where they give you a little extra money to help you stay vegetarian/vegan!
Reply 10
That's not really an issue though. There is no reason their diet should affect hers or vice versa. It's just making a fuss over nothing.

There should of course be no reason but there are all sorts of people. Besides, this person was asking about cross contamination, and when it comes to dietary restrictions you should try and take precautions to prevent this (all the time anyway actually). Think of it as if a Muslim/Jewish person wouldn't eat pork or if you had an allergy.

@OP But yeah, just clean well and you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Also, I wouldn't start off a conversation with "I'm a vegan", there is a lot of vegan prejudice out there.
Original post by Wring
There should of course be no reason but there are all sorts of people. Besides, this person was asking about cross contamination, and when it comes to dietary restrictions you should try and take precautions to prevent this (all the time anyway actually). Think of it as if a Muslim/Jewish person wouldn't eat pork or if you had an allergy.

@OP But yeah, just clean well and you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Also, I wouldn't start off a conversation with "I'm a vegan", there is a lot of vegan prejudice out there.

Which like I said Tupperware, and proper cleaning.

No different to everyone else who doesn't want cross contamination from anything. Being vegan specifically doesn't make it more of an issue.

The way I see it, she won't have any problems whatsoever unless she is actively trying to make a fuss about it.
tell everyone your vegan
hate meat eaters
vape 24/7

veganz ftw m8
I found loads of vegans at my uni and was lucky enough to have another in my flat with me! I made sure to keep my stuff on the top shelf of the fridge just to make sure nothing dripped on it. We each had our own cupboards as well so meat etc never came near my things! I wrote a post on my blog a while back about restaurants and shopping that should be transferable to where you are! http://thelifeofanewcastlestudent.blogspot.co.uk/2016/04/being-vegan-in-newcastle.html
Reply 14

Like you're doing right now.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 15
i think you'll need to loosen up a bit first... the way you say "cross contamination" makes you sound like one of those anal vegans that won't even cook in the same pan that has had meat cooked in it. obvs thats your choice but it's a bit silly as it doesnt change anything and if you live in a flat where everyone shares everything it will ostrcise you.

if you mean cross contamination with raw meat obviously everyone is going to be avoiding that since it's potentially deadly.

just be normal? it's pretty easy to be vegan... i'm vegetarian (though hope to be vegan one day soon) and i find it easy. i don't really see what you would struggle with? just look up some basic recipes? you've been vegan for 9 months surely you should know what to eat by now?

just don't be preachy you wont make any friends.
I've been vegan for 1 and a half years now, and for 1 of those years I had shared a flat with others (I'm staying in a studio this year though).

My advice would be:
1. Take the top shelf of the fridge - that way you don't risk having anything leave or drip onto your food.
2. Wrap your open things in cling film, and put any leftovers in tubs.
3. Don't worry about anyone stealing your milk! People turn up their noses at plant alternatives, even if they've ran out of their own milk (I've offered multiple times).
Reply 17
Which like I said Tupperware, and proper cleaning.

No different to everyone else who doesn't want cross contamination from anything. Being vegan specifically doesn't make it more of an issue.

The way I see it, she won't have any problems whatsoever unless she is actively trying to make a fuss about it.

you're getting proper vexed man, if you've got that big a problem with someones concerns unwatch the thread????
Reply 18
Original post by hannahvict
I've been vegan for 1 and a half years now, and for 1 of those years I had shared a flat with others (I'm staying in a studio this year though).

My advice would be:
1. Take the top shelf of the fridge - that way you don't risk having anything leave or drip onto your food.
2. Wrap your open things in cling film, and put any leftovers in tubs.
3. Don't worry about anyone stealing your milk! People turn up their noses at plant alternatives, even if they've ran out of their own milk (I've offered multiple times).

Thank you!!! (Nice reply!!) :biggrin:
The most important thing is to let everyone know you are vegan as soon as possible in every conversation. to avoid problems with cross contamination and such like.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending