The Student Room Group

Which department is better? (work placement)

Attending ward rounds - observing how doctors deal with patients/examination techniques or observing sugical procedures?

What are the benefits of each?
Original post by shohaib712
Attending ward rounds - observing how doctors deal with patients/examination techniques or observing sugical procedures?

Best experience I ever had was A and E!
Depending on your age you won't be able to actually do anything. You'll merely be watching

Ward rounds are interesting to an extent. Each patient is different and you can watch the interaction between doctor and patient. But then you'll be watching them do a helluva lot of admin which is incredibly boring.

Surgery is fun for maybe the first five minutes. Afterwards you'll just be standing around in the corner watching the surgeon do his thing. You can't touch anything and move too close- for obvious reasons. Plus it's super cold in there when you're just in scrubs :lol:

I personally think ward rounds are more interesting...up to you though
Even as a medical student I get bored and don't get much out of watching surgery. Much better to learn on the wards and actually ask questions etc

In terms of stuff you can reflect on in your personal statement, and at interview, I'd personally say that the former would be more useful.
Reply 5
Ward rounds, surgery is dull.
Standing for hours watching surgery is so ****ing dull. Scrubbing in or nothing for me, and add a WE student, you're not scrubbing in.
I agree I want to do ward rounds cuz i personally think it's more interesting and I want to see the social aspect of medicine and see if I would feel comfortable working in that position.

I only asked this question because most med applicants all try to hog for a surgical related placement rather than other departments in medicine.
I agree I want to do ward rounds cuz i personally think it's more interesting and I want to see the social aspect of medicine and see if I would feel comfortable working in that position.

I only asked this question because most med applicants all try to hog for a surgical related placement rather than other departments in medicine.

what department, when I did ortho i was able to see both. perhaps you can too?
Original post by homeland.lsw

Surgery is fun for maybe the first five minutes. Afterwards you'll just be standing around in the corner watching the surgeon do his thing.

Hello latent gender assumption? Surgeons are female too. Between 10-11% of consultant surgeons are female, and in 2014, 29.5% of trainee surgeons were female. And from experience, the female surgeons have to be about twice as good as the male ones in order to make it through.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by DrSocSciences
Hello latent gender assumption? Surgeons are female too. Between 10-11% of consultant surgeons are female.

:lol: whatever
Original post by DrSocSciences
Hello latent gender assumption? Surgeons are female too. Between 10-11% of consultant surgeons are female.

Write an outraged letter to The Guardian about it.
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Write an outraged letter to The Guardian about it.

No-one would be interested in your lazy thinking, hun.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending