The Student Room Group

How to get a 9 in new maths gcse

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aklaol
Maths GCSE was extremely easy compared to the new 9-1 spec.

Edit: Exam questions taken out from the FOUNDATION tier 9-1 spec.
http://www.mathsmadeeasy.co.uk/maths-new-gcse-samples-a.pdf

lol it looks easy, show me the higher paper.

edit: actually i found it, ima look at it now.
Reply 21
Original post by Light Venom
lol it looks easy, show me the higher paper.

edit: actually i found it, ima look at it now.

You're clearly delusional. Compare the foundation tier from the 9-1 spec, to the old GCSE spec. If you still think that there isn't an issue between the two, then you must clearly be ignorant.
Original post by Aklaol
I'd advise you to think carefully before making such a ignorant comment. Go and learn the depths of the new 9-1 system, and the content involved. A 9 is almost impossible, an A* in normal GCSE was brainless and easy.

I'm sorry, but if you had done research, you would have discovered that the top 3/4% of candidates will get a 9, which isn't quite "impossible", is it? That's not much more than an A* in several existing, non-reformed specifications, for various subjects.
Original post by Aklaol
You're clearly delusional. Compare the foundation tier from the 9-1 spec, to the old GCSE spec. If you still think that there isn't an issue between the two, then you must clearly be ignorant.

Getting a 9 is the same as getting a high A* on the old spec. Even if the new spec is harder they will adjust the grade boundaries so that the amount of people getting 8/9 will be the roughly the same as the amount of people who got an A* last year. I Don't know why your making it sound impossible
Original post by Aklaol

Ok Akloal, I've read your previous comments, and this is what I have to say:

Why would there even be a grade 9 if it was impossible to obtain? I took maths GCSE a year early, got an A*, and then in year 11 took further maths GCSE (basically C1 in OCR spec a level, and a bit of FP1 in further maths a level) and got A^ (A* with distinction), and nearly 100%. And the grade boundaries are bloody high.

There is no way that the new GCSE spec is harder/as hard as that. It is most definitely possible to get a grade 9.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by Aklaol

Thats foundation as it should be, I could have done that in year 7, the foundation used to be a joke, our maths teacher in year 7 made us do one as a test and i got 98% in it, it was about time they made it harder. Do you have any Higher exam questions?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by MrIso
Thats foundation as it should be, I could have done that in year 7, the foundation used to be a joke, our maths teacher in year 7 made us do one as a test and i got 98% in it, it was about time they made it harder. Do you have any Higher exam questions?

For Edexcel:
http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/GCSE/mathematics/2015/specification-and-sample-assesment/GCSE-Mathematics-2015-SAM.pdf or
http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/GCSE/mathematics/2015/exam-materials/GCSE-9-1-Maths-Specimen-Papers-Set-2.pdf.

Tbh, this guy is pretty much ignoring what the grade 9 denotes, ie. <=4th percentile performance.
Reply 28
Original post by _gcx
I'm sorry, but if you had done research, you would have discovered that the top 3/4% of candidates will get a 9, which isn't quite "impossible", is it? That's not much more than an A* in several existing, non-reformed specifications, for various subjects.

Original post by HopelessMedic
Getting a 9 is the same as getting a high A* on the old spec. Even if the new spec is harder they will adjust the grade boundaries so that the amount of people getting 8/9 will be the roughly the same as the amount of people who got an A* last year. I Don't know why your making it sound impossible

Original post by MrIso

Alright, you can all prove me wrong by getting a 9 in this years examination.
Original post by Aklaol

Ok :h: I will ignore the fact that you addressed nothing, but it's ok, you've likely misinterpreted the information you have been given (which anyone can do). :smile:

Have a look at the results statistics for a 9, when they drop, because you'll find that it'll be around 4%, or even more, as has been defined by Ofqual.
Original post by Aklaol

No. You said to the OP that getting a 9 is nearly impossible. As stated by many users around 3-4% will get a 9, therefore it is not even remotely impossible. Hence you have been already proven wrong
Original post by Aklaol

more like you are, you clearly think you are a smart azz.

ive looked at the higher paper and it does look really hard.

i got a*aa in a levels, ive done this before, no need to be rude and im off to univeristy. im not the smartest but i take my studies very seriously. its not all about grades though, ive seen people who have got really good grades but fail to get any work experience in the field/s they want to work in and therefore resulting in them not getting the job they wanted. its not all about grades and being smart, ive seen smart people give up on life because they tend not to get any work experience at all an just study.. ok smart azz ( dumb prik), im delusional, atleast i admitted that the higher paper is hard.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by HopelessMedic
No. You said to the OP that getting a 9 is nearly impossible. As stated by many users around 3-4% will get a 9, therefore it is not even remotely impossible. Hence you have been already proven wrong

Well if you had a brain in that thick skull of yours, then you'd know that the term "impossible" wasn't used in a literal manner. Absolute moron.
Reply 34
Original post by Aklaol

Or i could prove you wrong with this
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-2916224
3% of England's GCSE papers will be awarded the new ultra-high grade when new-style GCSE exams for English and maths are first sat in 2017

3 percent is barely impossible, its plausible that someone could get that, not 'basically impossible'
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by MrIso
Or i could prove you wrong with this
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-2916224

3 percent is barely impossible, its plausible that someone could get that, not 'basically impossible'

That is only a prediction.
Original post by Aklaol

Some of these questions are A-B grade level?
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Some of these questions are A-B grade level?

While it must be said the foundation questions are really hard compared to what it used to be, most of the second and all of the bottom page is higher tier.
Original post by LifeIsFine
While it must be said the foundation questions are really hard compared to what it used to be, most of the second and all of the bottom page is higher tier.

So are they all part of the new foundation tier, or is there just a split between higher and foundation on the second page?
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
So are they all part of the new foundation tier, or is there just a split between higher and foundation on the second page?

Theres a split between higher and foundation tier on the second page; would be very scary if 3D Pythagoras was only a grade C. :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest