The Student Room Group

Help With Question 7ci)

(edited 7 years ago)

Hello there,

I am sorry that there have been no replies thus far. As for question 7(c)(i), the question wants you to calculate the distance between the fringes. To do this, you can count the number of jumps between adjacent fringes there are within the 8.0mm 8.0 mm section shown in figure 7.1. There are four of these and thus the separation x=8.04=2.0mm x = \dfrac{8.0}{4} = 2.0 mm . As for the rest of the question, what is it in particular that you do not understand?

I hope this has been helpful.

Smithenator5000.
Hi Thanks for that it was really helpful. As for other questionsI dont know what it is they are asking me and I just dont get it.
Original post by Smithenator5000
Hello there,

I am sorry that there have been no replies thus far. As for question 7(c)(i), the question wants you to calculate the distance between the fringes. To do this, you can count the number of jumps between adjacent fringes there are within the 8.0mm 8.0 mm section shown in figure 7.1. There are four of these and thus the separation x=8.04=2.0mm x = \dfrac{8.0}{4} = 2.0 mm . As for the rest of the question, what is it in particular that you do not understand?

I hope this has been helpful.

Smithenator5000.
Original post by Hgdfu
Hi Thanks for that it was really helpful. As for other questionsI dont know what it is they are asking me and I just dont get it.

Hello again,

You're very welcome. Part (a) wants you to explain why using one light source with two slits is better than using two light sources. Essentially, it is all to do with ensuring coherence of the waves. For part (b), you should observe whether points D and B are at a light fringe or dark fringe. This should tell you whether the waves constructively or destructively interfere and thus give you a phase difference. For part (c)(ii), you should use Young's double slit formula λ=axD \lambda = \dfrac{ax}{D} to find the wavelength. Part (d) wants the difference between the distances travelled by the two interfering waves at A. For part (e), you should find the frequency of the photon emitted when path Y is followed. You can use this to justify the wavelength. For part (e), the same process should be used but of course you must identify which parts of the spectrum have the frequencies you find.

Please tell me if you want further clarification.

Smithenator5000.

Quick Reply

Latest